You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Nike deal

Don't know the ins and outs but I imagine the idea of having two versions of the shirt is down to the fact the modern shirts are made of material designed for athletes which your average joe doesn't need or might not be comfortable with. Back in the day a liverpool shirt on or off the pitch would have just been 'a red shirt'.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

So I’ve just had a look at Nike.com and Adidas.com and every club does this these days (as did we under New Balance) but where the mancs, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Juventus, Bayern, Atletico etc etc all accept what happens with the making of their kits, because we’re Liverpool we should tell them to fuck off?

The Adidas kits are also £110.

Although I 100% the actual players kit looks better, to think we should be or will act any different to any other club is unrealistic IMO.

Not just the Nike stuff, but all our current “Champions” range is shite as well. When you see what independent sellers have come up with, it makes the official stuff look like unimaginative tripe.

I'm sure they do all do it, they're all gready cunts. But we keep getting told shit like "it means more" and all our marketing is centred round how we're not like everyone else. Yet we're fucking identical. We could actually go in and make it a a thing that we've negotiated something and get some positive PR. Or we can chase the money. All ours fans were up in arms around the whole furlough thing. When to me it was the most expected thing in the world and I couldn't for the life of me understand why it was that particular issue people were expecting the club to suddenly be moralistic. We always have choices. We just chose not to take them and a look at this thread tells you fans don't think what's happening with Nike is good.

1 hour ago, Scott_M said:

So I’ve just had a look at Nike.com and Adidas.com and every club does this these days (as did we under New Balance) but where the mancs, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Juventus, Bayern, Atletico etc etc all accept what happens with the making of their kits, because we’re Liverpool we should tell them to fuck off?

The Adidas kits are also £110.

Although I 100% the actual players kit looks better, to think we should be or will act any different to any other club is unrealistic IMO.

Not just the Nike stuff, but all our current “Champions” range is shite as well. When you see what independent sellers have come up with, it makes the official stuff look like unimaginative tripe.

I'm sure they do all do it, they're all gready cunts. But we keep getting told shit like "it means more" and all our marketing is centred round how we're not like everyone else. Yet we're fucking identical. We could actually go in and make it a a thing that we've negotiated something and get some positive PR. Or we can chase the money. All ours fans were up in arms around the whole furlough thing. When to me it was the most expected thing in the world and I couldn't for the life of me understand why it was that particular issue people were expecting the club to suddenly be moralistic. We always have choices. We just chose not to take them and a look at this thread tells you fans don't think what's happening with Nike is good.

1 minute ago, The Gaul said:

Supporters have choices as well. 

If you want to wear your shirt for 5-a-side multiple times every week and feel you would benefit from the athlete version, you have the option to buy that one.

If you don’t, you have the option to buy a cheaper version.

I don’t see the issue with it. 

I’ve more an issue even the cheaper one is £70. Ridiculous. I remember when I was a teenager, they were only £35-40 and that was expensive in the day. I bet if you look on the Nike website an unbranded kits, you can find our shirt design for < £30 - the badge sticks another £40+ on top! 

1 minute ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Ace, genuinely thrilled for you. 

Well, given your original patronising post, made it hard for a decent come back, hasn’t it? 

I’ve also done c.50% of aways since I was 15 and been abroad watching us almost 30 times, so...

CC7C121C-89D1-4130-8D09-1B9286BC5A24.gif

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Don't know the ins and outs but I imagine the idea of having two versions of the shirt is down to the fact the modern shirts are made of material designed for athletes which your average joe doesn't need or might not be comfortable with. Back in the day a liverpool shirt on or off the pitch would have just been 'a red shirt'.

Some people think a replica shirt is the exact same as what players wear and has been since clubs started selling them. They arent for a number of reasons ie different material, slightly smaller logos, usually a printed or crudely stitched badge.

I think Spurs were the first to offer the 'match' shirt and 'replica' shirt.

What I dont get is these manufacturers produce these 'match' shirts that are supposed to get the sweat away from the skin quickly yet most players seem to wear an 'ordinary' undershirt that stops the super dooper one doing the business!

The whole official and club worn shirt has been done in the NFL for years. Cheaper print and higher quality stitched version. US sports companies were always going to do the same. 

I've said before Nike doesn't give a fuck in a guy above 35 doesn't like the modern designs. They are being made and marketed for younger people far more likely to want them, who want different designs. 

18 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Some people think a replica shirt is the exact same as what players wear and has been since clubs started selling them. They arent for a number of reasons ie different material, slightly smaller logos, usually a printed or crudely stitched badge.

I think Spurs were the first to offer the 'match' shirt and 'replica' shirt.

What I dont get is these manufacturers produce these 'match' shirts that are supposed to get the sweat away from the skin quickly yet most players seem to wear an 'ordinary' undershirt that stops the super dooper one doing the business!

Thats true. Even in the eighties the match worn stuff was a bit more robust than the one you bought. Someone I knew had a Molby worn shirt from 86 and it had far more quality. Of course footy shirts weren't the marketing whizz then nor where they 'engineered'

• Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, Moo said:

Isn't the main issue now, about these two kits, is not there is a cheaper version but that the cheaper version looks, well, too cheap and nasty?  I don't recall that being the case before.

Yep. The NB stuff always had the same design / appearance - mesh, for instance, was always present as per the player shirts, but this Nike stuff doesn’t even look like a good Chinese fake and harkens back to the sort of knock-offs you’d be able to spot from a mile off in the early 90s.

The issue is absolutely not with the sale of a more expensive version made exactly to the player spec. It’s that the ‘stadium’ version doesn’t look anything like it, presumably to encourage people to fork out more for something that bears a resemblance to the real thing.

1 minute ago, TheDrowningMan said:

Yep. The NB stuff always had the same design / appearance - mesh, for instance, was always present as per the player shirts, but this Nike stuff doesn’t even look like a good Chinese fake and harkens back to the sort of knock-offs you’d be able to spot from a mile off in the early 90s.

I've just seen the difference in the shorts too and it's pretty shocking really, they don't even look like they're made by the same company.  I'd expect better from a stall in a holiday resort.

2 hours ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Everything that is wrong with football today perfectly encapsulated in this shit.

Ripping off the fans with a bland design it must have taken them half a day to sort, selling two types of shirt with the weaker one what would normally be the full whack price. The local paper being in partnership with Nike (WTF) bigging up the reveal and falling over themselves to be relevant. Wheres the integrity?

The campaign for this is one of the reasons i got out of advertising for big corps, its shallow, contrite and unauthentic. The people behind it probably have no ties to the club whatsoever. Then you've got the Club filming the players receiving their shirts on social media, it is the state of football today, soulless fluffy shite.

I really, REALLY miss the days when footy was raw, it wasn't seen as a commercial vehicle, it was easily accessible for everybody who was interested and all anyone cared about was the performance and results on the pitch. It wasn't wall to wall coverage and the Club didn't go out of its way to extract every penny it could from its fanbase.

Even this title win has been soured to a degree, without Jurgen and some of the players joy having worked their socks off and the fans who were unfortunate enough to miss out on the halcyon days experiencing it, its a bit naff. Now its all about how many shirts we sell, how much prize money we win, what partner deals we can pull off and how much more globalised we can now be. Throw in the americanisation of the Club, I mean Moore was no Saint but he was from Liverpool, and he understood the club, not the brand, and now he's gone to be replaced by Billy Bob Hogan.

Horrible as fuck.

Why are you bothering? Stop telling us so we don't have to read the same thing five times a day. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Everything that is wrong with football today perfectly encapsulated in this shit.

Ripping off the fans with a bland design it must have taken them half a day to sort, selling two types of shirt with the weaker one what would normally be the full whack price. The local paper being in partnership with Nike (WTF) bigging up the reveal and falling over themselves to be relevant. Wheres the integrity?

The campaign for this is one of the reasons i got out of advertising for big corps, its shallow, contrite and unauthentic. The people behind it probably have no ties to the club whatsoever. Then you've got the Club filming the players receiving their shirts on social media, it is the state of football today, soulless fluffy shite.

I really, REALLY miss the days when footy was raw, it wasn't seen as a commercial vehicle, it was easily accessible for everybody who was interested and all anyone cared about was the performance and results on the pitch. It wasn't wall to wall coverage and the Club didn't go out of its way to extract every penny it could from its fanbase.

Even this title win has been soured to a degree, without Jurgen and some of the players joy having worked their socks off and the fans who were unfortunate enough to miss out on the halcyon days experiencing it, its a bit naff. Now its all about how many shirts we sell, how much prize money we win, what partner deals we can pull off and how much more globalised we can now be. Throw in the americanisation of the Club, I mean Moore was no Saint but he was from Liverpool, and he understood the club, not the brand, and now he's gone to be replaced by Billy Bob Hogan.

Horrible as fuck.

And only 50,000 were there and they had to rely their testimony to the plebs because it probably wasn’t on TV.

I also preferred the world in black and white.

2 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

And only 50,000 were there and they had it to rely their testimony because it probably wasn’t on TV.

I also preferred the world in black and white.

For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are in red.

3 hours ago, Scott_M said:

Ok. 38, a season ticket holder since 1992 & been to every final since then as well, but never mind.

I think he has a point here,for a change. I too yearn for the days of real football and fans who were fans of the game from their youth and not because the game is now fashionable. It has become pretty soulless,imo.

• Upvote 1