You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Nike deal

19 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Claims in the torygraph that workers making of our new Nike shirts get paid 70p for each one but Nike claims they get paid a living wage. But they would say that wouldnt they? Should have stuck with NB.

Why are they specifically talking about OUR Nike shirts, when Nike have produced stuff for other teams for years under those sorts of conditions? Of the current clubs under contract with Nike, only Barcelona have the sort of genuine global reach that we have, and while our Nike deal is heavily incentivised on sales, Barcelona get a significant sum upfront. We will have FOUR kits next season (red home, teal away, black/grey third and white 4th), and I suspect that thanks to the incentivised deal, that will be the norm under Nike.

And the Telegraph complaining about a system that is a Tory's wet dream?

7 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

That's kind of my point. Nike have form for this sort of thing ie virtual slave labour.

The current NB shirts are made in Thailand, and the previous couple of years' shirts were made in the Philippines. I highly doubt that NB were particularly generous over pay and conditions. It's because of that pay and those working conditions that clothing and footwear companies outsource the vast majority of the work to factories in Asia, because they can never hope to meet the demand (that they've helped to create, don't forget) by producing it all in the West where rules are far stricter over pay and conditions.

2 hours ago, Trumo said:

Why are they specifically talking about OUR Nike shirts, when Nike have produced stuff for other teams for years under those sorts of conditions? Of the current clubs under contract with Nike, only Barcelona have the sort of genuine global reach that we have, and while our Nike deal is heavily incentivised on sales, Barcelona get a significant sum upfront. We will have FOUR kits next season (red home, teal away, black/grey third and white 4th), and I suspect that thanks to the incentivised deal, that will be the norm under Nike.

And the Telegraph complaining about a system that is a Tory's wet dream?

The current NB shirts are made in Thailand, and the previous couple of years' shirts were made in the Philippines. I highly doubt that NB were particularly generous over pay and conditions. It's because of that pay and those working conditions that clothing and footwear companies outsource the vast majority of the work to factories in Asia, because they can never hope to meet the demand (that they've helped to create, don't forget) by producing it all in the West where rules are far stricter over pay and conditions.

They did mentioned other clubs. I only referenced us because Im not fucking arsed about chelsea.

But my point was Nike have form for this. Do NB pay 70p per shirt? I doubt it and I still think we should have stayed with NB.

As for the tory rag, so what? I didnt see it reported in other on line papers. I dont often visit the daily manc and never the s*n for obvious reasons.

13 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

They did mentioned other clubs. I only referenced us because Im not fucking arsed about chelsea.

But my point was Nike have form for this. Do NB pay 70p per shirt? I doubt it and I still think we should have stayed with NB.

As for the tory rag, so what? I didnt see it reported in other on line papers. I dont often visit the daily manc and never the s*n for obvious reasons.

Out of interest, because I have no idea, how many shirts a day do they make? And then what's a living wage where they're being made? 

19 minutes ago, aws said:

It's news because we're news. The price of success and being both more  loved and hated than anyone else. 

I think Nike are getting a bit of journalistic investigation as there's something happening with the Uighurs. I've not read the story, but I think maybe they're employing Uighurs who are shipped out or something. But I'm not very sure about that. 

3 hours ago, The Gaul said:

I think Nike are getting a bit of journalistic investigation as there's something happening with the Uighurs. I've not read the story, but I think maybe they're employing Uighurs who are shipped out or something. But I'm not very sure about that. 

Will be a shitstorm if that's true. And there'll be loads trying to rope us in. 

I'd be suspicious of this type of stuff. With Trump in a trade war with China stories of this nature were always going to be released. The quality of the materials used by the likes of Nike make a 70p jersey literally impossible, margins like that just don't exist where quality finishes are required.

Nike have been around long enough and through their share of controversy, they know full well they need to operate factories within all laws, the potential repercussions are just not worth it.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, No2 said:

I'd be suspicious of this type of stuff. With Trump in a trade war with China stories of this nature were always going to be released. The quality of the materials used by the likes of Nike make a 70p jersey literally impossible, margins like that just don't exist where quality finishes are required.

Nike have been around long enough and through their share of controversy, they know full well they need to operate factories within all laws, the potential repercussions are just not worth it.

So the 70p is supposed to include material and not just wages for the person making them? 

18 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Alleged new tracksuit. I like it but it’s not very traditional. 

7E04CC75-694E-401F-B7B5-B2962DD36639.jpeg

Seen people on Twitter getting excited about that. It’s shite and not a patch on recent New Balance ones.

Nike made/make some brilliant trainees, but the clothes are ordinary. Owned a couple of bits in the 80s and the odd hoodie for wearing indoors, that’s it.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, The Gaul said:

So the 70p is supposed to include material and not just wages for the person making them? 

I haven't read the report, just a headline that the jerseys are made for 70p. Its bollox.

That 3rd choice shirt would look shite if it wasnt for the Gold PL Champions badge. i dont like the NB similar design we had.

The red looks ok. Dont mind the flash of green as we've had it on shirts before. Still think we should have stayed with NB though, 70 quid and that will be without the Gold badge as well.