You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Nike deal

It's also possible that their contract doesn't run for as long as their other big deals. Nike and Adidas usually sign up their bigger teams to contracts that last at least 10 years, but this Nike deal might be similar to our previous deals (5 or 6 years) for duration. I'm not sure why any side would agree to lock themselves into a deal for 10 years or more anyway, because they don't get all the money up front, and they don't usually have any control over their merchandising.

On the face of it, this sounds not just disappointing but very strange. £15m a year below the current deal is a massive drop. That's a hell of a lot of extra shirts to shift just to make up £15m. Even at a 100 quid a shirt, that's another 150,000 just to break even.

Even with talk of 20% 'royalties' you're talking really mega sales numbers to jump from a 'gauranteed' £30m to rake in another £45m just to equal united's deal.

Yeah ok I know it's a kit deal but it is the shirts that shift in numbers not training tops and the like. There's got to be more to this than meets the eye because I cannot see the club taking such a hit on financing.

While the club havent mentioned numbers, the Echo and other outlets have been baying that the club expects a deal to be better than United's although Ive noticed in recent days the rhetoric has been toned down a little.

No offense to LFC twitter but I'd be backing the people who work in our finance department and negotiated this deal to know more about it and what we're worth than any of us keyboard warriors.

I don't think it's that important for our fans to see a huge number and be able to crow to their United-supporting mates on twitter about how massive we are. I think it's important that the final number be as high as possible. And I'm 100% certain we would never sign a deal where we worried that Nike was going to pay us less than they pay Spurs or Chelsea.

So whatever the 20% adds up to, you can be sure it was arrived at by a bunch of calculator-wielding accountants who pored over the data and then the Liverpool team thought "yeah, we'd rather take 20% plus £30m than a guaranteed £70m" (or whatever Nike offered) and we sort of just have to take their word for it.

I promise that even if we're taking a tiny risk there won't be more than a couple of million in it one way or the other in the end - Nike wouldn't make the offer if they hadn't done their homework on it, either. Like, it might come out that the 20% adds up to £38m or £42m at the end of the year, and we're betting it'll be the higher number and Nike are betting it'll be the lower one, but it'll be pretty close to whatever the guaranteed offer is either way.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Just now, Ne Moe Imya said:

No offense to LFC twitter but I'd be backing the people who work in our finance department and negotiated this deal to know more about it and what we're worth than any of us keyboard warriors.

Negged.

Why don't you fuck off to lfcfinancedepartmentway.co.uk, you 100 carrot cunt.

• Upvote 1

I brought my 5 year old up to his club tonight. This is in Dublin and I'd estimate 70% of the kids were in Liverpool gear, the rest were a mixture of clubs with no obvious 2nd team.

These lads know what they're at and it proves definitively that they do want to win and not just qualify for the CL. £15 a shirt (which we won't be getting) needs 1 million shirts to be sold, they are banking on us being pretty fucking good over the next few years.

On the issue of the socks I read that they are for the colour blind and they're a game changer for them. The reaction to them as been universally positive.

22 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Its their nick name because Eastville, their old ground, used to be close to the city gas works. Apparently you could smell the town gas when the wind was in the right direction.

Bristol City used to call them 'gas heads' by way of an insult but the rovers fans adopted it for themselves.

That's what I later found out. Couldn't get my head around "come on gas" at the time though.

1 hour ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

All I really want to know is how hard it will be to ram a Nike jersey up my piss slit.

Trying too hard to be the "new Mook" 

Stick to rating threads on masturbation quality 

Oh and sorry to be a cunt but it would be "down your piss slit" not up it unless you are an awkward cunt. 

DHh2I1dUAAARDhM.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Permission to appeal denied by the judge.

Based on snippets from the court case, the Nike deal will run for 5 years (a shorter timespan than what they normally agree with their other big deals), earn the club a minimum basic of £30m a year (a lower basic than what Nike give the likes of Barcelona, PSG, Chelsea and Spurs), a far greater share of profits and royalties than what Nike agree with their other clubs, and Liverpool retain control of their retail and merchandising operation (something that Nike obtain control over elsewhere). I suspect that Liverpool will also have a greater say in what's passable for kit choices than those other clubs, so you won't see what Nike do with Barcelona for example, where the home kit goes through alternatives to the traditional blaugrana stripes.

Liverpool and Nike are hedging their bets that the team will continue to improve, and their products will be more varied and more readily available in more outlets globally. Plus they will have Nike-sponsored athletes and entertainers promoting our stuff too, so the club and Nike will actually shift a hell of a lot more merchandise.

Bear in mind though that Nike shirts have been £5-10 more expensive than those of NB over the past few years, and that's unlikely to change. Adidas and Puma kits have also been much more expensive in recent years.