You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Nike deal

I think it's pretty clear they've issued that because as long as we're still actually under contract with New Balance it would be in extremely poor taste to issue a statement saying we're planning to switch a year from now.

Sort of colours the relationship with New Balance, and we still have a whole year to go (minimum) in that relationship. I expect it's sorted behind closed doors, but won't be made public until some respectable time, probably in the spring some time when the NB deal is about to expire.

16 hours ago, Trumo said:

Under Moores and Parry, we seemed to extend sponsorship deals with existing sponsors like Reebok and Carlsberg every few years without really looking into whether anyone else could offer better. Yes, a long-term business relationship is good for the most part but you can let opportunity pass you by and very quickly get stuck playing catch-up with your competitors. The question "Why are we so far behind the Mancs?" was probably always answered with a shrug of the shoulders and a mumbled "We just are".

That's because parry especially, wanted an easy ride while still getting kudos from some fans for doing the business.

9 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

I think it's pretty clear they've issued that because as long as we're still actually under contract with New Balance it would be in extremely poor taste to issue a statement saying we're planning to switch a year from now.

Sort of colours the relationship with New Balance, and we still have a whole year to go (minimum) in that relationship. I expect it's sorted behind closed doors, but won't be made public until some respectable time, probably in the spring some time when the NB deal is about to expire.

New Balance are lucky we've given them the time of day.

17 hours ago, Trumo said:

The right time to switch to Nike was 1996, as they were growing faster than Reebok in the football market. They had pretty much overtaken Umbro and were catching up with Puma. Adidas were still the market leaders back then. What with Nike taking control of merchandising (what little of it there was back then) as was their way, it might have given the commercial department (what little of it there was back then) a kick up the arse. Plus, Nike were probably making their best stuff in that late-90s period. They only had Arsenal from the PL back then, but had taken over some key contracts with some of the biggest international sides like Brazil, Italy and Netherlands and gave all those teams some boss designs over that period. It's only later when Nike and Adidas were about par that Nike started chucking out template stuff for all their teams.

Under Moores and Parry, we seemed to extend sponsorship deals with existing sponsors like Reebok and Carlsberg every few years without really looking into whether anyone else could offer better. Yes, a long-term business relationship is good for the most part but you can let opportunity pass you by and very quickly get stuck playing catch-up with your competitors. The question "Why are we so far behind the Mancs?" was probably always answered with a shrug of the shoulders and a mumbled "We just are".

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, many of the best footy kits of all time were templates.

• Upvote 1

On 23/08/2019 at 10:12, Redder Lurtz said:

Lead singer of Conflict wore one of these at Rebellion the other week. Quite like it myself. 

Flat-Front-Mockup+_1_.jpg

I didn’t go this year, went to the last two. Did you watch the Dwarves?

Obviously we're playing hard ball with Nike over this new deal.

I can't see how new balance could really outbid Nike, if Nike are seriously interested in us. 

Let's get it done, buy mbappe and cluster bomb every sports shop in the world with Liverpool tops. 

Don't even give the kids a chance. Mammy and daddy are buying them Liverpool tops, or nothing! 

Given the fiasco of some kits not being available over the summer (and longer), New Balance can fuck off as far as I'm concerned. Wonder if this has all come about because of it.

Printing our shirts is like printing money. Huge fanbase worldwide. Most of which wanted those UCL winners shirts post Madrid. The ones the team wore at the parade. Imagine the revenue that was missed out on because NB were piss fucking poor.

Not a chance that would have happened with Adidas or Nike.

1 hour ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

Given the fiasco of some kits not being available over the summer (and longer), New Balance can fuck off as far as I'm concerned. Wonder if this has all come about because of it.

Printing our shirts is like printing money. Huge fanbase worldwide. Most of which wanted those UCL winners shirts post Madrid. The ones the team wore at the parade. Imagine the revenue that was missed out on because NB were piss fucking poor.

Not a chance that would have happened with Adidas or Nike.

Yep. Last years home kit ran out shortly after it was released and people had to wait until October. Loads of people ended up buying the knock off versions from Thailand/China.

Speaking of shirts the current Canal+ football advert on french TV has a guy putting loads of football tops on top of each other. It starts with PSG and then a mix of Ligue 1 and Premier League shirts. Guess who is the last shirt, the biggest and that with most air time? The reds. 

We are massive. Nike will be lucky to have us

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Doctor Troy said:

Yep. Last years home kit ran out shortly after it was released and people had to wait until October. Loads of people ended up buying the knock off versions from Thailand/China.

The black goalie top has been the same this year. My kids were gagging for that kit, I had to go to China and only tried to buy originally from the club shop a week after they came out. 

14 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

The black goalie top has been the same this year. My kids were gagging for that kit, I had to go to China and only tried to buy originally from the club shop a week after they came out. 

You went all the way to China to get your kids our kit? That's commitment Barry.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

The deal we sign should absolutely reflect the facts in this and not just be on par with or slightly bigger than our rivals, only to be eclipised when they renew in a year or two, but to be set up in such a way that it is the biggest and stays the biggest (based on average rises for them)