You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Premier League Round Up (Aug 17-19 2019)

tlw content

It was all happening this weekend with the ol’ VAR wasn’t it? The biggest drama was at the Etihad where City thought they’d scored a stoppage time winner only for the video ref to disallow it. For that to happen to them twice, against the same opponent, in the space of just a few months is incredible. It’s also funny as hell.

It was a weird game really, and a completely freakish result. Sterling had headed City in front from a stunning De Bruyne cross. Spurs equalised out of nowhere when Lamela’s shot somehow beat Emerson from 20 yards. City then regained the lead when Aguero tapped in another glorious cross from De Bruyne, only for Lucas Moura to come off the bench and equalise within about five seconds.

Then we had the stoppage time incident that provoked so much discussion all weekend. Jesus scored and nobody had even the slightest inkling there was anything dodgy about it, until after a delay of a couple of minutes we discovered it wouldn’t stand. Fantastic scenes, I won’t lie, I was laughing my balls off, partly due to relief but mainly because I could hardly believe this had happened to them again. So much for lightning never striking in the same place.

There was much debate amongst the pundits afterwards. Carra was steadfastly fighting the corner of VAR while everyone else seemed to be moaning about it. Carra’s point was that the new handball rule is the problem and all VAR did was allow the officials to enforce the rule, so it actually did it’s job perfectly.

That’s as may be, but if we didn’t have VAR then no-one would be arsed about that rule and indeed it probably would never have been introduced in the first place. 

Here’s what I said about that rule last week….

"Wolves had a goal bizarrely ruled out by VAR. I’m irrationally angry about it because if the ball had hit the arm of a defender like that rather than the attacker, there’s not a chance in hell a penalty would have been given, so why was this disallowed? 

I’ll tell you why. Because the law changed and now if the ball hits an attackers arm / hand, even accidentally, it’s no goal. What a fucking shit rule, but it’s what I’ve come to expect now as these cunts in suits are ruining our game."

So, let me know say…  *Monty Burns voice* I’ve had one of my trademark changes of heart.

God bless VAR, the new handball rule and all of those who conspired to make that glorious moment at the Etihad happen. 

Ok, in all seriousness, I’m made up City didn’t win but that whole situation was terrible and it’s not what I want to see. I’m starting to hate what football is becoming with this shit. 

I’ve got no love for City or their fans, but that shit just wasn’t right. The ball hit the hand of two players at the same time, but the only one that counts is the attacker? Bullshit. Stupid fucking rule that I reckon will probably be scrapped after one year because everyone hates it.

If only I could say the same about fucking VAR. That’s here to stay, because it’s all about catering for the TV audience and nobody gives a shit about the match going fan, whose experience of the game is being completely ruined by this shit. 

VAR also denied City a penalty early on when Rodri was manhandled in the box by Lamela. Michael Oliver didn’t see it as he was looking at other players in the box, but surely this is the whole reason why you’d have the video?

I don’t know what’s going on or what the point of it is. It used to be that the ref would go to the touchline and have a look for himself, before deciding what decision to give. They’ve scrapped that, and apparently now it’s all down to some junior ref sat watching a TV to decide if the proper ref out on the pitch got it wrong. As if some little YTS ref is going to tell Oliver he’s fucked up. This is causing more problems than it’s solving, and people are spending more time bitching about VAR than they were about refs fucking up decisions.

Anyway, all that being said, it was funny seeing various City players take to social media to complain about it. None of them knew the rule had been changed, which tells me that they didn’t listen when the ref came to visit the training ground to explain it all to them. It also tells me they don’t watch Match of the Day, as if they did they’d have seen that Wolves ‘goal’ last week. They’d have also heard Shearer and Murphy complaining about the rule and they’d therefore know exactly why their winner was ruled out.

Tell you what though, as happy as I am that Spurs took two points off them, I have to say that City murdered them and Spurs looked fucking hopeless. It was daylight robbery. One of the most one sided draws you’ll ever see. City had 30 attempts and Spurs had three. The result is brilliant for us but I can’t take too much from it because Spurs are the third best team in the country and they were barely able to even lay a glove on City, despite the flukey scoreline. It’s a bit demoralising in that sense.

Aguero and Guardiola had a bit of a set to after the Argentinian was subbed. They kissed and made up after they thought Jesus had won it, but something isn’t right there. Pair of knobheads.

And did you see Jesus kicking off at Oliver at full time? The daft bastard. It wasn’t Oliver’s decision, there’s no point giving him shit. He may as well have been yelling at one of the stewards, as they had as much say in what happened as Oliver did.

Guardiola wasn’t happy about the whole VAR thing afterwards but it was a bit much that he started going on about Adrian being a few inches off his line in the Super Cup shoot out a few days before. Stalking cunt. We should get a restraining order out against him, the fucking weirdo.

This is just a teaser, click to view the full article

Please note that PL Round Ups are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• dave u pinned this topic

Love these.

Bang on about Pogba reminds in ways to when Rooney got shit at Utd played deeper and could only play the odd great long pass and when he did the commentators made out like that one pass justified why he was playing there. 

• Upvote 1

Great round up, Dave. I think you managed to tick all the boxes this week!

VAR is Shite (BIG tick)

LFC are giving Baldiola sleepless nights (tick)

Spurs are so-so for a UCL team (tick)

Goalkeepers ignoring Vardy (tick)

Newcastle are Shite - whilst not mentioning Bruce (tick)

Norwich are good (tick)

Sheffield Utd might be good (tick)

Pogba is, well, Pogba (tick)

Ole's at the wheel (ahem)

Wolves will scare a few teams - maybe even Citeh

But giving Everton's game a whole FIVE lines............................

• Upvote 1

Just a few things

1) City obviously weren't paying attention when the VAR rules were explained. Maybe they're all like Aguero and don't speak English?

2) Agree 100% with you on Pogba. How some players manage to market themselves as being world class when they're nothing of the sort is always a source of mystery. I also present to you Zlatan and Neymar. 

3) I thought you had a rule that you never watch the Mancs?

4) On the subject of strikers who looked great for a while and then turned to shit, I present to you Nikica Jelavic. We would also have accepted Jonathan Stead. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, buster69 said:

Just a few things

1) City obviously weren't paying attention when the VAR rules were explained. Maybe they're all like Aguero and don't speak English?

2) Agree 100% with you on Pogba. How some players manage to market themselves as being world class when they're nothing of the sort is always a source of mystery. I also present to you Zlatan and Neymar. 

3) I thought you had a rule that you never watch the Mancs?

4) On the subject of strikers who looked great for a while and then turned to shit, I present to you Nikica Jelavic. We would also have accepted Jonathan Stead. 

Jelavic!! That's a belter. He had me fooled for a while though I have to admit.

The not watching the mancs rule went out the window when they became shit. That season when they were shite and finished second under Mourinho drove me mad. I couldnt watch them, it was doing my head in. I carried it on into last season but when they were bumming around in 6th I wanted to enjoy it like everyone else, so I lifted the ban.

I stopped watching City for the last couple of months of last season, and will probably do so again at some point this year.

The handball rule may be a new one this season, but if you recall the FA informally trialled that one with us a couple of seasons back, when Solanke had one ruled out against West Brom. So I find it hard to get upset now that it's finally being rolled out to the rest of the league.

Indeed, I have been maintaining pretty much since I very first heard the initials VAR that it would be a major fillip to our chances of winning the league, given the ridiculous number of wrong decisions given against us and for our major rivals. Sure enough, just two matches into the season it's already handed us a 2 point advantage over Manchester City, the only team who can challenge us for the title.

VAR is the greatest thing that ever happened to football.

"because it’s all about catering for the TV audience and nobody gives a shit about the match going fan, whose experience of the game is being completely ruined by this shit."

VAR is ruining the game for TV fans as well as those lucky enough to be at the ground.

3 hours ago, piphomer said:

"because it’s all about catering for the TV audience and nobody gives a shit about the match going fan, whose experience of the game is being completely ruined by this shit."

VAR is ruining the game for TV fans as well as those lucky enough to be at the ground.

It's definitely been brought in to 'enhance' the product for TV audiences though. And at least when you're watching on TV you have some kind of idea what's happening as the commentators can explain and show you replays. In the ground you literally have no idea what's happening.

And when I say catering for the TV audience, I don't specifically mean fans of the teams involved, as it's shit for them too. For a neutral though it can be great drama.

I just think it's the worst idea football has ever had. Hate it.

• dave u unpinned this topic