You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Anfield Road redevelopment

Thoth

6 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Obviously hope you are right, NV.

If it is going to be bigger and better and the main reason we are not doing any spending this summer then I could cope with that. 

I'm really disappointed that we didn't get players in, but I've no idea what the thinking is. If it's that we are putting money towards a stand, I would question that as there are other ways to pay for it over the longer term - against the increase in revenue. If it's so we get get one or two mega players in the future, then great. If it's because we are mingebags, then it sucks. Truth is, we don't know and I don't really have an axe to grind so I'll just shrug and hope for the best. 

1 minute ago, Josef Svejk said:

If Everton released a story like that (after a barren transfer window), we'd engage in merciless piss-taking.

Just saying...

If Everton had spent 100s of millions on turning them into European Champions, developed their stadium already, got the highest ever points in their league history, had a world class manager and top quality squad, then they released they're also going to upgrade their initial plans for the stadium... I wouldn't be laughing that hard. The reason we would laugh at Everton is because... they're Everton, aren't they.

• Upvote 12

1 minute ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

If Everton had spent 100s of millions on turning them into European Champions, developed their stadium already, got the highest ever points in their league history, had a world class manager and top quality squad, then they released they're also going to upgrade their initial plans for the stadium... I wouldn't be laughing that hard. The reason we would laugh at Everton is because... they're Everton, aren't they.

tenor.gif

Doesn't alter the fact that the statement is vacuous corporate guff, however...

1 hour ago, Sixtimes Dog said:

I'm hearing the new plans include a 300ft wharf so John Henry can sail right up to the stadium.

what about a bus terminal for the likes of the mancs and chelsea ? perhaps they wont park it on the pitch then 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I'm really disappointed that we didn't get players in, but I've no idea what the thinking is. If it's that we are putting money towards a stand, I would question that as there are other ways to pay for it over the longer term - against the increase in revenue. If it's so we get get one or two mega players in the future, then great. If it's because we are mingebags, then it sucks. Truth is, we don't know and I don't really have an axe to grind so I'll just shrug and hope for the best. 

I doubt ARE and the lack of big-money signings are related at all.  Klopp buys players when he thinks he needs them and when the ones he wants are available; this summer, those things didn't apply.  Also, of course, none of the managers under FSG have been stopped from spending (even though some of them should have, on occasion).

Any serious spending on ARE won't happen for a couple of years anyway, so that's not an issue.

• Upvote 1

*shrugs*   I'll believe it when I see it. 

The Main Stand made perfect commercial sense due to the boxes and corporate seat packages.  Does the same apply to the Anny Road?  If it does I'm sure plans will be afoot. 

26 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

I doubt ARE and the lack of big-money signings are related at all.  Klopp buys players when he thinks he needs them and when the ones he wants are available; this summer, those things didn't apply.  Also, of course, none of the managers under FSG have been stopped from spending (even though some of them should have, on occasion).

Any serious spending on ARE won't happen for a couple of years anyway, so that's not an issue.

Jesus Christ,  Klopp has spoken numerous times this summer about  the lack of funds. 

Doesn't stop some repeating the FSG propaganda spin. 

This is clearly about a very slow drip feed approach to communicating plans that are hugely sensitive with the local community. The club have been burnt before on that and this will be about general directions to prepare people for the consultation and more fulsome plans. There are also lots of unknowns at this stage that will directly affect the plans (community views, transport elements incorporated in planning assent, etc) and so they will be avoiding making promises they can't keep or saying things that will piss people off.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, sir roger said:

Obviously hope you are right, NV.

If it is going to be bigger and better and the main reason we are not doing any spending this summer then I could cope with that. 

The main reason we are not doing any spending this summer is possibly because we are finally paying for the Main Stand, is that something you could cope with?

2 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

I doubt ARE and the lack of big-money signings are related at all. 

Aren't they on record as saying nothing will be confirmed until the Training Ground is done? That's due for handover in March next year I believe. So numbers will get crunched early next year you'd imagine & probably something announced middle to autumn 2020.

2 hours ago, Moo said:

*shrugs*   I'll believe it when I see it. 

The Main Stand made perfect commercial sense due to the boxes and corporate seat packages.  Does the same apply to the Anny Road?  If it does I'm sure plans will be afoot. 

If they copied the Main Stand design & put it at the ARE end (narrowed to suit and end of pitch stand) I just can't imagine the demand won't be there for the Corp stuff in the middle deck. FSG were apparently shocked to have underestimated the level of interest when they took over and we've raised the playing side performance since then, so it's probably blowing their minds at this point. 

Some additional Season Ticket stuff, some additional General Admission stuff, away supporters sure, but it just seems win-win all around. It might not pay itself off as quickly as the Main, sure, but in terms of finance it will, and in terms of PR it'll only be good. And if it ups the capacity to 63K all teh better? 

18 minutes ago, Mcfaggen said:

Aren't they on record as saying nothing will be confirmed until the Training Ground is done? That's due for handover in March next year I believe. So numbers will get crunched early next year you'd imagine & probably something announced middle to autumn 2020.

If they copied the Main Stand design & put it at the ARE end (narrowed to suit and end of pitch stand) I just can't imagine the demand won't be there for the Corp stuff in the middle deck. FSG were apparently shocked to have underestimated the level of interest when they took over and we've raised the playing side performance since then, so it's probably blowing their minds at this point. 

Some additional Season Ticket stuff, some additional General Admission stuff, away supporters sure, but it just seems win-win all around. It might not pay itself off as quickly as the Main, sure, but in terms of finance it will, and in terms of PR it'll only be good. And if it ups the capacity to 63K all teh better? 

We fill the corporates in the main stand today because of fans buying them week to week, they are not full of corporate season ticket holders as had the initial business plan been, because we couldn't generate that interest. We are not in London. The mancs I believe suffer in a similar way. 

And here's the rub. If we put another 6/7k seats in the road end, how many of them can they sell to fans at 350 quid each? Especially if they release a few thousand normal price tickets on the market at the same time. I personally think that's what fsg are trying to work out. Demand is great in the main stand corporates, because supply of general access tickets is so low. As soon as that premium goes, then what are they left with? They've already said they're not interested in doing it without corporates because of the fuss we made about ticket prices when the main stand was done and they don't want to wait 17 years to pay it off or whatever it was. All today's announcement did was confirm that nail in that particular coffin. The rest is just chat. We might build more. We might not. And it's taken us 9 years to get here. 

39 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

We fill the corporates in the main stand today because of fans buying them week to week, they are not full of corporate season ticket holders as had the initial business plan been, because we couldn't generate that interest. We are not in London. The mancs I believe suffer in a similar way. 

And here's the rub. If we put another 6/7k seats in the road end, how many of them can they sell to fans at 350 quid each? Especially if they release a few thousand normal price tickets on the market at the same time. I personally think that's what fsg are trying to work out. Demand is great in the main stand corporates, because supply of general access tickets is so low. As soon as that premium goes, then what are they left with? They've already said they're not interested in doing it without corporates because of the fuss we made about ticket prices when the main stand was done and they don't want to wait 17 years to pay it off or whatever it was. All today's announcement did was confirm that nail in that particular coffin. The rest is just chat. We might build more. We might not. And it's taken us 9 years to get here. 

I get it, but I believe that yes we can continue to sell tickets at those prices. I reckon that the demand is that big. 

I wonder if FSG have waited to see how the facilities at Spurs' new stadium shape up before going ahead and committing to redeveloping the ARE. If you put aside the whole 'London prices' argument for one moment, you can see that Spurs have put a lot into facilities for regular (ie, non-corporate) match goers whether they are season ticket holders or day trippers. Without trying to suggest that the usual matchday spending habits of a non-corporate Spurs fan are the same as those of the non-corporate Liverpool fan, maybe they want to see how these facilities generate revenue. It could mean that general admission is more lucrative than they originally thought so any new ARE doesn't need so much in the way of corporate and VIP facilities.

I'm just thinking out loud here.

2 hours ago, The Woolster said:

The main reason we are not doing any spending this summer is possibly because we are finally paying for the Main Stand, is that something you could cope with?

I thought the Main Stand was supposed to be self-financing over 8 years or so , and wasn't aware that they were potentially snaffling transfer funds to pay their loan off earlier.

FSG have been around the block at this stage. If ARE made no sense they would say so, I'm not even sure they give a shit about social.media abuse and the likes, if it makes sense they will do it, if it doesn't they won't.

Kicking it down the road if they have no actual intention of doing anything is not something they would do. Since Tony Barrett became involved I don't think they have had any spectacular gaffes at all, they realise how many vocal nay sayers we have and know they can't pull the wool over anyone's eyes. 

This is very welcome news. Only drawback is no matter how big Anfield is expanded, there'll always be more demand than available tickets.

Will be interesting to see the plans when they are drawn up. I suspect they'll try and make it as big as is feasible bearing in mind, the SKD roof will possibly impact sight lines.

Obviously Id love it if we could get the capacity over 65,000 but I think that is going tobe tough.