You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Bolton Wanderers and the like ....

Bjornebye

Horrible to see clubs buckle like this. Never really had a soft-spot for them but they had a cracking side in 1995 when we beat them in the milk cup final and they were always a tough side to play at the Reebok in the 00's under gravy tits. Yet again fans suffering because of greedy bastards.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/pink-floyd-laurence-bassini-and-angry-magician-what-hell-going-bolton-wanderers

Bury are going through something similar. I liked in Portsmouth when they went into administration and actually worked as a sales manager for the printers who printed their programmes and they were that skint that they couldn't even afford to transfer 3k for one of the programme runes. Our MD had to go to the ground and pick it all up in change. The players suffer too. Ok Pompey were paying big wages to their lads (which caused it all in the first place) so they didn't lose homes etc but one of the Bury players came out a few days ago begging the owner to sell otherwise he will lose everything. Obviously his mortgage etc is up. With the amount of money at the top level of football it is a fucking disgrace to see clubs like this suffer. 

The 'fit and proper' checks the league do are a joke. Look at Pompey again. Milan Mandarin sold to Portsmouth to a dodgy Russian gangsters son that no-one knew anything about. Within a few years they were in League 2 under administration. If Bolton fold how many others will follow? 

• Upvote 4

Guest Pistonbroke

The professional league system is too large in England, far too many teams imo. They need to drop it to three leagues of 20 teams tops. 

6 minutes ago, manwiththestick said:

Not many clubs had any sympathy when  we were genuinely close to going into administration so I personally don't feel anything to clubs struggling through their own bad decisions. Real lower down team in the conference and that fair enough, but not clubs with Premier League history.

Based on what? Lets face it, we weren't ever really THAT close. 

11 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

The professional league system is too large in England, far too many teams imo. They need to drop it to three leagues of 20 teams tops. 

Ok so how would you like it if we were one of the clubs trimmed? 

Guest Pistonbroke
Just now, Bjornebye said:

Ok so how would you like it if we were on of the clubs trimmed? 

Life goes on, better than being in debt and fighting for survival in the lower leagues. They all see the golden apple of promotion and sign players on wages they can ill afford. There is life outside of the professional leagues, it's called semi pro. Players vying to make a move up the ladder and not relying on football at the time to make a full living. Less leagues/teams at the professional level means more money to go around to stop teams from struggling. Makes sense to me. 

13 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

While I don't have any sympathy for any individual clubs, England should easily be able to maintain a market for at least 100 professional clubs. I've made the point several times that I think a trip to Anfield is too expensive for my taste these days, but I recently found out that a ticket at Notts County in the fifth tier costs £20! This is a price in the region of 5,000 people are willing to pay on a regular basis. The demand for football in England is insatiable. Yet the shitness of modern football means the rich get richer.

Don't see any sense in the idea of cutting down the football league.  There are plenty of clubs in the conference (and North/South) that operate on a full time basis.

Putting more pressure on clubs by chopping put part of the pyramid would have major implications right down to grass roots.

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke

Fans in England get the piss taken out of them as far as ticket prices go. 20 notes to watch Notts County in the National League, fucking hell. 

34 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

Yes. No other country has anything like it.

Five, national, professional divisions, as has been proven, isn't sustainable.

Leagues one and two are in an odd space as the leagues above and below are regularly shown on TV.  They really should remove the 3pm restriction and make them available online.

It was ages ago but ITV digital ultimately fucked a lot of these sides over.

1 hour ago, Pistonbroke said:

Fans in England get the piss taken out of them as far as ticket prices go. 20 notes to watch Notts County in the National League, fucking hell. 

I know, it's mad. I was thinking of bringing my son to Tranmere to see a game the last time I was over. As it happened they were not at home so it wasn't an issue. But looking at it now, it would have cost £27 for the two of us. That's before you consider trying to find parking and a bite to eat somewhere, maybe a programme as a souvenir. Tranmere talk a lot about being a family club and good luck to them, but I can think of far easier ways to entertain a six-year-old with forty quid as a float.

Mrs AP is a Bolton season ticket holder. Well, she was, shit is so bad there that they don't have season tickets. They don't have a kit, a sponsor, players, owners, the whole 9 yards. I wouldn't wish this on the Mancs or the shite, let alone clubs like Bolton and Bury that have never done us any harm. 

Worst still, the fuckwits who own the clubs in question still passed that Fit And Proper Person test. The whole thing starts with the EFL. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

Based on what? Lets face it, we weren't ever really THAT close. 

Based on I work in a big office full of fans of other clubs, two lads, one of whom is still working there were Bolton season ticket holders and I remember some remarks at the time which were not positive towards our plight. That's before we got started and the mancs and blues in the office..

2 minutes ago, manwiththestick said:

Based on I work in a big office full of fans of other clubs, two lads, one of whom is still working there were Bolton season ticket holders and I remember some remarks at the time which were not positive towards our plight. That's before we got started and the mancs and blues in the office..

A couple of fellas you work with having a bit of 'banter' does not amount to 'other clubs not being arsed'. 

I remember in the 90's a team was about to go under (I think it was Wimbledon) and loads of fans of other clubs turned up in their numbers to help boost their gate profits. MOTD showed the end with all the mixed fans and their were a good few Liverpool scarves on show. I'd like to think we still have that spirit regardless. Call be sentimental but I like having all these teams around. I wouldn't even want the Mancs to go bust. Jesus wept I didn't even want r*ngers to go bust. Funny at the time but for me Football is worse off without these clubs. If one big club falls more will follow suit far too easily. Bolton aren't exactly conference size. 

• Upvote 3

The system needs 7 or 8 Bolton and Bury's to go under. The majority of club's in the lower leagues are basket cases, the rules shouldn't allow them get into to the mess they do. Portsmouth, Coventry,  Wimbledon and even Leeds weren't enough for the FA to take proper action.

When those clubs fold the supporters need to use the opportunity to take ownership of them and start 6 or 7 leagues lower than they are. In 20 years they could have a championship club that they own, the satisfaction of that would be immense. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

It is $17 Muricans to stand behind the goal at a Rowdies game. That said going to the theatre for movie costs 12.

Not sure how low a ticket can get for a professional club, regardless of wages, that has to keep up a ground/security etc.

Well, you can get a season ticket at Dortmund for about 200 quid, and presumably they have police and stuff.

8 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Well, you can get a season ticket at Dortmund for about 200 quid, and presumably they have police and stuff.

I don't know that a comparison can be made between the match day revenue needs of a Bolton/Rowdies and one of the most fervently followed clubs in Europe in a stadium that is packed to, what, 70 k every week?

What are ticket prices like for 3rd division in Spain?

14 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

I don't know that a comparison can be made between the match day revenue needs of a Bolton/Rowdies and one of the most fervently followed clubs in Europe in a stadium that is packed to, what, 70 k every week?

What are ticket prices like for 3rd division in Spain?

I think I paid seven euros to watch Cordoba in the second division last season.

They ended up getting relegated to the 3rd tier (which is regionalised). 

There are huge differences between clubs within the same division (at all levels). And, in fact, huge differences between a ticket up in the gods and another in a "better" part of the ground. for example it costs about 25 euros to watch Sevilla, but I think there are tickets available for three times that most weeks. Probably more against Real Madrid/Barcelona.

3 hours ago, Pistonbroke said:

Just limit it to one club per city based on the most successful over the last ten years. 

• Upvote 4