You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Bolton Wanderers and the like ....

Bjornebye

Having listened to some of the Bury fans on the radio yesterday, can’t help but feel a lot of sympathy for them. Don’t forget it’s not just the fans but the ordinary staff of the football club who are being hit.

What’s worse is that the EFL are complicit in this shite. They never even applied their fit and proper person’s test to Dale, not that the cunts care anyway as long as their snouts have a trough to park in.

• Upvote 2

Having had a quick look around it’s clear it’s not just Dale who has fucked them over. Previous owner Day took out a £1m loan against the stadium at a 138% per annum interest rate!!

https://www.theguardian.com/football/david-conn-inside-sport-blog/2014/nov/12/bury-high-interest-loans-shadow-recovery

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2016/10/28/indebted-bury-face-winding-up-petition-and-search-for-gigg-lane/

There's an old guy who's been on the telly this past couple of weeks who's been going there 70 odd years.

I took my two kids to their first ever match in the friendly there last year and we sat next to him. He seemed a bit of a celebrity fan there as everyone knew him and he was so nice to my kids giving them his programme to read and chatting to them about the game. He couldn't have been more complimentary about Liverpool going there to make them some money either.  His passion for Bury shone through and we had a good chat about their season ahead.

I've been thinking of him today as the poor fella must be absolutely gutted. I know I would be if it was Liverpool. The people that stitched them for their own profit deserve to be strung up. 

• Upvote 7

3 hours ago, Anubis said:

Having had a quick look around it’s clear it’s not just Dale who has fucked them over. Previous owner Day took out a £1m loan against the stadium at a 138% per annum interest rate!!

https://www.theguardian.com/football/david-conn-inside-sport-blog/2014/nov/12/bury-high-interest-loans-shadow-recovery

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2016/10/28/indebted-bury-face-winding-up-petition-and-search-for-gigg-lane/

Yep. Read up a bit on the situation and the previous owner was a complete twat too, putting them in the situation where the latest owner was able to buy them for £1. 

A lot of these owners have failed businesses and property developments that they seem to be able to walk away from without any repercussions. They always seem to be these types that get highlighted in the Daily Mirror for running scam companies then just set up in their wifes/partners names or just change the name of the company.

1 hour ago, Turkish Delight said:

There's an old guy who's been on the telly this past couple of weeks who's been going there 70 odd years.

I took my two kids to their first ever match in the friendly there last year and we sat next to him. He seemed a bit of a celebrity fan there as everyone knew him and he was so nice to my kids giving them his programme to read and chatting to them about the game. He couldn't have been more complimentary about Liverpool going there to make them some money either.  His passion for Bury shone through and we had a good chat about their season ahead.

I've been thinking of him today as the poor fella must be absolutely gutted. I know I would be if it was Liverpool. The people that stitched them for their own profit deserve to be strung up. 

Hopefully the big clubs closer to these struggling clubs can help out in the future. I know there are rules about bailing teams out so just handing over cash cant be done. Liverpool are ok having friendlies at Chester, Tranmere and Bury. Maybe instead of the two Manc clubs going straight to the USA or far east could play a couple of friendlies  before jetting off. 

Maybe the Premier League teams could waive their TV money if they play a team from League 1 or League 2 in the FA Cup. I think we did it against Plymouth once?. Bet their fans still sung sign on.

Bolton Wanderers have been bought by the company Football Ventures so they are now out of administration and no longer face expulsion from the league. It remains to be seen if the new owners can keep Bolton sustainable for more than a year.

10 minutes ago, Trumo said:

Bolton Wanderers have been bought by the company Football Ventures so they are now out of administration and no longer face expulsion from the league. It remains to be seen if the new owners can keep Bolton sustainable for more than a year.

Football Ventures you say? Sounds a name to inspire confidence in the ownership. Erm, apparently.

On 28/08/2019 at 10:25, Doctor Troy said:

Hopefully the big clubs closer to these struggling clubs can help out in the future. I know there are rules about bailing teams out so just handing over cash cant be done. Liverpool are ok having friendlies at Chester, Tranmere and Bury. Maybe instead of the two Manc clubs going straight to the USA or far east could play a couple of friendlies  before jetting off. 

Maybe the Premier League teams could waive their TV money if they play a team from League 1 or League 2 in the FA Cup. I think we did it against Plymouth once?. Bet their fans still sung sign on.

If the club's are being run by gangsters like Bury or Blackpool is it right to bail them out? Then you have club's like Accrington Stanley who do things correctly, surely the friendly should be against those types of club's? Same with TV money, if 200k helps keep Blackpool afloat that's great but why give it to them when the owners have already siphoned off millions from the premier league money?

1 hour ago, No2 said:

If the club's are being run by gangsters like Bury or Blackpool is it right to bail them out? Then you have club's like Accrington Stanley who do things correctly, surely the friendly should be against those types of club's? Same with TV money, if 200k helps keep Blackpool afloat that's great but why give it to them when the owners have already siphoned off millions from the premier league money?

Spot on. Im really all for helping smaller clubs but how and where do you draw the line? Do you give a gambler money to pay off his debts then watch as he blows that money chasing his losses?

Football is results based. Clubs in lower leagues will always try and win promotion or at the very least, try and ensure they do not get relegated. The reasons are obvious, more money in the higher league, less in the lower.

The only way you could possibly remove those fears is by removing promotion and relegation in the lower leagues but once you do that, you destroy the essence of the sport and league.

The PL, or any benefactor for that matter, could give each League 1 and 2 club a couple of million quid each season and you'd still have the same problems, clubs spending more than they rake in. The idea that given £2m or whatever and each of these lower league clubs would suddenly be solvent is a bit misguided.

At the end of the day, what did the EFL and Championship clubs do apart from hand wringing? The EFL's 'fit and proper' test is a joke. As far as Im aware, it's also a one off test that once passed, is never revisited.

On 29/08/2019 at 13:10, dockers_strike said:

Spot on. Im really all for helping smaller clubs but how and where do you draw the line? Do you give a gambler money to pay off his debts then watch as he blows that money chasing his losses?

Football is results based. Clubs in lower leagues will always try and win promotion or at the very least, try and ensure they do not get relegated. The reasons are obvious, more money in the higher league, less in the lower.

The only way you could possibly remove those fears is by removing promotion and relegation in the lower leagues but once you do that, you destroy the essence of the sport and league.

The PL, or any benefactor for that matter, could give each League 1 and 2 club a couple of million quid each season and you'd still have the same problems, clubs spending more than they rake in. The idea that given £2m or whatever and each of these lower league clubs would suddenly be solvent is a bit misguided.

At the end of the day, what did the EFL and Championship clubs do apart from hand wringing? The EFL's 'fit and proper' test is a joke. As far as Im aware, it's also a one off test that once passed, is never revisited.

How long has it been since football was actual a sport? A genuine contest where both sides have reasonable chance of winning? It probably only really happens in the lower leagues as the PL has turned to shit as a contest. It was for a while with United too. I despise the PL and other than our games couldn't give a shit about any of the others. I find it a shame that the lower leagues have gone so bad as they have been the lifeblood of English football for decades but are now just a side show that nobody takes much notice of.

• Upvote 1

having watched a lot of lower division football for 30 odd years, one thing that used to bolster the crowds and interest was top players in the old days would drop down the divisions. they would then perform for the lesser lights, because the money in the game wasn't previously there.

so they don't need to do that now because of the phenomenal rewards on offer at the top level. don't have any facts- but on a personal level, i think it has detracted from how the pyramid used to operate, which may have lead to a decrease in crowds and potential revenue.

quite a few of those teams would have a previous star performer and it would create a bit of a buzz and for young fans coming into the game to witness a well known established, way above the usual average standard player, at close quarters locally.

it's not the whole picture, but just another factor why there seems to be empty seats all over the place these days. certainly in the bottom 2 leagues.

cup runs produce great crowds when the big players roll into town for example. a small slice of that weekly used to help.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, thegreatelephant said:

quite a few of those teams would have a previous star performer and it would create a bit of a buzz and for young fans coming into the game to witness a well known established, way above the usual average standard player, at close quarters locally.

The NASL made a business out of this in the late 70's early 80's

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, thegreatelephant said:

having watched a lot of lower division football for 30 odd years, one thing that used to bolster the crowds and interest was top players in the old days would drop down the divisions. they would then perform for the lesser lights, because the money in the game wasn't previously there.

so they don't need to do that now because of the phenomenal rewards on offer at the top level. don't have any facts- but on a personal level, i think it has detracted from how the pyramid used to operate, which may have lead to a decrease in crowds and potential revenue.

it's not the whole picture, but just another factor why there seems to be empty seats all over the place these days. certainly in the bottom 2 leagues.

cup runs produce great crowds when the big players roll into town for example. a small slice of that weekly used to help.

My dad wouldn't take me to Anfield when I was very young but took me to Prenton Park on a Friday night because of the ex Liverpool (and Everton) players they fielded back then. This was back in the fifties when wages were capped at £20 a week and many footballers also had a day job.

• Upvote 1