You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Bolton Wanderers and the like ....

Bjornebye

3 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Based on what? Lets face it, we weren't ever really THAT close. 

Not to going out of business we weren't but the prospect of going into administration and having points deducted was very real. 

If I remember correctly, I don't think any away teams fans ever turned up at Anfield without chanting USA at us in support of what H&G were doing to us.

• Upvote 3

31 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

I think I paid seven euros to watch Cordoba in the second division last season.

They ended up getting relegated to the 3rd tier (which is regionalised). 

There are huge differences between clubs within the same division (at all levels). And, in fact, huge differences between a ticket up in the gods and another in a "better" part of the ground. for example it costs about 25 euros to watch Sevilla, but I think there are tickets available for three times that most weeks. Probably more against Real Madrid/Barcelona.

25 quid for a ticket in Spain is a rare thing. I was in Barcelona at the weekend and it was 40 to see Espanyol. Nowhere near worth it. 

3 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Based on what? Lets face it, we weren't ever really THAT close. 

The old brown adrenaline was going when it didn't look like a buyer was likely. I don't know exactly how close or not we were, but I wouldn't want us to be in that position again.  Too me, it did not feel impossible that we were no longer a thing. 

3 minutes ago, RobbieOR said:

25 quid for a ticket in Spain is a rare thing. I was in Barcelona at the weekend and it was 40 to see Espanyol. Nowhere near worth it. 

You were in Barcelona, to be fair...

Top flight prices are quite high now because La Liga is dominated by Madrid, Barcelona and the North...the areas with money. Watching a game at Sevilla or Valencia, however, isn't expensive.

Half of La Segunda is Andalusian.

Guest Pistonbroke
30 minutes ago, aws said:

Just limit it to one club per city based on the most successful over the last ten years. 

Imagine the fewm from Everton and the Red Mancs. 

1 minute ago, Jairzinho said:

You were in Barcelona, to be fair...

Top flight prices are quite high now because La Liga is dominated by Madrid, Barcelona and the North...the areas with money. Watching a game at Sevilla or Valencia, however, isn't expensive.

Half of La Segunda is Andalusian.

Yeah it's the tourist thing as I have noticed a lot of Chinese tourists now wearing their gear around the city, but the whole league is starting to go a bit money mad. Most season tickets don't include the games against the big two and haven't for years. 

4 minutes ago, RobbieOR said:

Yeah it's the tourist thing as I have noticed a lot of Chinese tourists now wearing their gear around the city, but the whole league is starting to go a bit money mad. Most season tickets don't include the games against the big two and haven't for years. 

To be honest, I find it a bit dull at Sevilla. I'll be watching Cordoba trying to get out of Segunda B instead this year. 

Lad I know was a Bolton seassie ticket holder until a year or twoago, now just effectively pays on the gate. He says the ownership of the club has been the biggest problem. They were paying Premier League wages while bumping along the bottom of the Championship and were dining out on their years in the PL rather than addressing the fact they were in danger of slipping into League One.

Now he says the shyster former Watford owner is just trying to make a shilling out of the club and derailing the sale of it.

I feel for Bury. They've probably been living hand to mouth for years. Then this shyster Dale turned up and saw an opportunity to buy an asset for a quid. He's nothing more than an asset stripper. Either that or he's just very unlucky in business having some go tits up. When he set up the CVA he slapped a £3.5m claim in, fuck knows where that came from.

Latest is someone has offered to buy the club but the cunt has turned it down. So you buy a club for a quid, see it going tits up, get offered a chance to get out but you turn it down?

The EFL's fit and proper 'test' is a fucking joke.

24 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Lad I know was a Bolton seassie ticket holder until a year or twoago, now just effectively pays on the gate. He says the ownership of the club has been the biggest problem. They were paying Premier League wages while bumping along the bottom of the Championship and were dining out on their years in the PL rather than addressing the fact they were in danger of slipping into League One.

Now he says the shyster former Watford owner is just trying to make a shilling out of the club and derailing the sale of it.

I feel for Bury. They've probably been living hand to mouth for years. Then this shyster Dale turned up and saw an opportunity to buy an asset for a quid. He's nothing more than an asset stripper. Either that or he's just very unlucky in business having some go tits up. When he set up the CVA he slapped a £3.5m claim in, fuck knows where that came from.

Latest is someone has offered to buy the club but the cunt has turned it down. So you buy a club for a quid, see it going tits up, get offered a chance to get out but you turn it down?

The EFL's fit and proper 'test' is a fucking joke.

I wonder if Bolton have suffered from Citys rise. A few half-arsed Bolton fans might have seen an opportunity to follow a club thats challenging. I don't remember them ever selling out much but they always had fairly decent capacities. I read something last season that they only opened two sides of the ground for a game and one of them was away fans only. 

1 hour ago, House of Dirk said:

The old brown adrenaline was going when it didn't look like a buyer was likely. I don't know exactly how close or not we were, but I wouldn't want us to be in that position again.  Too me, it did not feel impossible that we were no longer a thing. 

I think that situation and the one Bolton are facing are far from being close. Obviously it was a shit time but still, we were never going to buckle. 

21 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Call be sentimental but I like having all these teams around. I wouldn't even want the Mancs to go bust. Jesus wept I didn't even want r*ngers to go bust. Funny at the time but for me Football is worse off without these clubs. If one big club falls more will follow suit far too easily. Bolton aren't exactly conference size. 

Ck1QkD7XIAASh1T.jpg

• Upvote 1

I don't buy the 'there are too many teams in the league argument', there have been at least 92 clubs across the top 4 divisions for over 50 years and it's only become a real issue since the Sly Sports deal in the early 90's. Yeah a few fell by the wayside, but it was rare!

I've no love for Bolton or Bury, but what's happening to those clubs, especially Bury, is an absolute fucking disgrace!

134 years and they could be gone in 2 days, 125 years as a league club, gone because some greedy cunt who bought it for a quid wants to squeeze a few bob more out of a sale.

If they go under I hope they lynch the cunt from their main stand.

I wish them well, I hope they're saved!

• Upvote 3

On 20/08/2019 at 14:06, manwiththestick said:

Not many clubs had any sympathy when  we were genuinely close to going into administration so I personally don't feel anything to clubs struggling through their own bad decisions. Real lower down team in the conference and that fair enough, but not clubs with Premier League history.

I disagree. Its not the fan's fault and is down to the greed at the top level and refusing to allow league clubs a share of the profits generated by English football at the top. More trickle down bullshit. I also agree with PB that there are far too many professional clubs and it needs to be trimmed for the sake of survival. Its basically a symptom of the world in general where greed reigns supreme.

Read something in the paper this morning about how practically every championship club's wage bill is at over 100% of income and in League One the average figure is 80%. I don't see how you can sustain a business on those figures. I hope the two clubs survive but, even if they do will it just be putting off the day of reckoning. Salutary to think that Bury were in the same league as us the season we gort promoted.

4 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

A Tranmere fan I work with said they were all massive twats and buzzed off Tranmere when they dropped out of the Football league and thought it was hilarious. Quite a few had a laugh at them on Saturday.

Thats a bit different though. We would all buzz off the blues if they got relegated. Not sure I'd want to see them go bust though. In-fact I absolutely wouldn't personally. 

• Upvote 1

On 20/08/2019 at 15:22, Paulie Dangerously said:

Bolton fans are horrible mini mancs and I wish them nothing but ill will. 

3 of my cousins have or had season tickets. They hate united and were made up we won the champions league.

Growing up as kids we would watch the scores come in at my nans they were relegated after losing to aldershot as we won another league, they still carried on supporting them

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Agt Provocateur said:

Tranmere and Bolton have a huge rivalry going back to the Aldridge and Allardyce era so they would always have taken the piss out of each other going down. 

Phil Parkinson has left Bolton today, he has shown a lot of class and dignity in the last 6 months and that is a huge blow for them. 

The Argentinian Danny Dyer did a Real football factories show and this game got the final show feature length over there. Makes Boca and River look like Torvill and Dean.