You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Jeffery Epstein & Friends

Dougie Do'ins

Bail hearing 14th July. The interesting bits are the assertion is that she’s been in contact with the prosecution via her lawyers throughout and the prosecution’s refusal to comment on that claim, and this Florida non-prosecution agreement.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/07/10/us/ghislaine-maxwell-bail-response/index.html?__twitter_impression=true

New York(CNN)Ghislaine Maxwell, the confidant of accused sex-trafficker Jeffrey Epstein, argued in a court filing Friday that she should be granted bail while awaiting trial, claiming she wasn't in "hiding" while under criminal investigation, as prosecutors allege, and hasn't left the country in more than a year.

"She did not flee, but rather left the public eye, for the entirely understandable purpose of protecting herself and those close to her from the crush of media and online attention and its very real harms—those close to her have suffered the loss of jobs, work opportunities, and reputational damage simply for knowing her," her lawyers, Mark S. Cohen and Jeffrey S. Pagliuca, wrote.

They said Maxwell, 58, who has been charged by New York federal prosecutors for her alleged role in conspiring with Epstein to recruit, groom and sexually abuse underage girls as young as 14 between 1994 and 1997, hasn't been in contact with Epstein for more than a decade. Maxwell "vigorously denies the charges, her lawyers wrote Friday, adding that, "sometimes the simplest point is the most critical one: Ghislaine Maxwell is not Jeffrey Epstein."

A bail hearing in her case is scheduled for July 14.

Rather than being held in jail while she awaits trial, her lawyers suggested she be released on a bail package that would include a $5 million personal recognizance bond, travel restrictions and home confinement with GPS monitoring at a residence in the Southern District of New York. They didn't specify where she might reside.

Prosecutors have said in court filings that Maxwell should be denied bail because she "poses an extreme risk of flight," citing her wealth, foreign citizenship and that she has "effectively been in hiding for approximately a year," since Epstein's arrest in July 2019. 

Lawyers for Maxwell disputed that characterization. "Far from 'hiding,' she has lived in the United States since 1991, has litigated civil cases arising from her supposed ties to Epstein, and has not left the country even once since Epstein's arrest a year ago, even though she was aware of the pending, and highly publicized, criminal investigation," they wrote.

They also claimed that Maxwell, through her attorneys, has been in "regular contact" with federal prosecutors from the day following Epstein's arrest through her own arrest earlier this month. A spokesman for the Manhattan US Attorney's office, Nicholas Biase, declined to comment on that claim.

In their brief, Maxwell's attorneys also preview legal arguments they plan to make with regard to the indictment, which center on a non-prosecution agreement Epstein signed with federal prosecutors in Miami in 2007 that appeared to immunize "any potential co-conspirators of Epstein." 

When Epstein himself was indicted, New York federal prosecutors said they believed the Florida agreement didn't restrict their office from prosecuting him, but his lawyers argued otherwise. That dispute wasn't resolved because Epstein died in jail while awaiting trial.

1 hour ago, Anubis said:

Bail hearing 14th July. The interesting bits are the assertion is that she’s been in contact with the prosecution via her lawyers throughout and the prosecution’s refusal to comment on that claim, and this Florida non-prosecution agreement.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/07/10/us/ghislaine-maxwell-bail-response/index.html?__twitter_impression=true

After spending half of lockdown watching Netflix shows showing the US legal system for the absolute shambles it is and the amount of time prosecutors have little interest in the truth and just getting someone, you can help but think where this part of the story is concerned, she's telling the truth. 

Denied bail and likely to be in jail for more than a year before her trial even starts. Now she may well be guilty but I just can’t get my head around the concept of remand prisoners, how can you be in jail if you haven’t been convicted of anything? Always seemed crazy to me. Do you get compensated if you’re found not guilty?

52 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

I just can’t get my head around the concept of remand prisoners, how can you be in jail if you haven’t been convicted of anything? 

You either have to be an extreme risk of flight or to poor to come up with bail. Turns out one thing happens alot, the other not so much.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

Denied bail and likely to be in jail for more than a year before her trial even starts. Now she may well be guilty but I just can’t get my head around the concept of remand prisoners, how can you be in jail if you haven’t been convicted of anything? Always seemed crazy to me. Do you get compensated if you’re found not guilty?

The answer in this country is no. As long as the police have reasonable grounds to charge you then you will not be eligible for any form of compensation if found not guilty, however long you are on remand.

21 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

Just think how much fun Internment without Trial, Diplock Courts and Hunger Strikes were.

"Oh you Irish, yer just so rebellious"

Poor Jizzlen.

• Upvote 1

Been watching the show about it on Netflix, makes me feel physically sick as does that Maxwell twat, Andrew mentioned in dispatches too 'grinding against a young girl at a pool on the cunt's private island', young girls just wandering around topless, coppers/FBI and DAs seemingly on the payroll, a plea deal that included immunity for any conspirators named or unnamed in perpetuity, just absolutely fucking rotten from the top down. 

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

Been watching the show about it on Netflix, makes me feel physically sick as does that Maxwell twat, Andrew mentioned in dispatches too 'grinding against a young girl at a pool on the cunt's private island', young girls just wandering around topless, coppers/FBI and DAs seemingly on the payroll, a plea deal that included immunity for any conspirators named or unnamed in perpetuity, just absolutely fucking rotten from the top down. 

What’s that called mate?