You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Who is the most important of our front three?

El Rojo

Who is the most important of our front three?  

114 members have voted

1. 1. Three magnificent footballers, but if you could only keep one, who would it be?

16 hours ago, Alex_K said:

Its a bit (very) weird that a forward with 55 league goals & 19 assists in 76 league games is polling so massively behind a centre forward with 49 league goals & 28 assists in 139 games.

This idea that Firmino makes us tick .. sure, he's central to it, but exactly which games were they where his absence undid us? Because I certainly can't ever remember a remotely similar feeling of pure doom to when Salah hobbled off against Madrid in Kiev.

Bobby's a cult favourite but he's just not in the same class as Salah. Every single statistic and area of their play says as much.

The question isn't "who's the best", it's "who's the most important". I'm not saying goals are easy to come by, but there are way more players in world football that could replicate what Salah and Mané do to a degree than players who can do what Firmino does in Klopp's system.

Hence, by definition, it's easy to argue that Firmino is the most important even if he's objectively less productive than Salah and Mané.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

The question isn't "who's the best", it's "who's the most important". I'm not saying goals are easy to come by, but there are way more players in world football that could replicate what Salah and Mané do to a degree than players who can do what Firmino does in Klopp's system.

Hence, by definition, it's easy to argue that Firmino is the most important even if he's objectively less productive than Salah and Mané.

I think it’s the other way around.

I reckon you could find someone to do the false 9 stuff Firmino does - probably not with the same amount of unselfishness - a bit more easily than you could replace wide forwards of the quality of Mane and Salah.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Soft Joe said:

It’s too difficult to call but I voted Mane purely on the basis we beat Barcelona 4-0 without the other two in one of the greatest comebacks of all time.

He was utterly magnificent that night. Covered every blade of grass at least 20 times

11 hours ago, El Rojo said:

Plenty of football left in all of them too:

Firmino 27, turning 28 in October
Sadio 27 last April
Mo 27 last June

Scarily all younger than my son! Just. If only he had a fraction of their money!

4 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

I think it’s the other way around.

I reckon you could find someone to do the false 9 stuff Firmino does - probably not with the same amount of unselfishness - a bit more easily than you could replace wide forwards of the quality of Mane and Salah.

Mane and Salah are both tremendous players and I'm not taking anything away from their natural abilities and their personal development but to me Klopp is the ultimate responsible for their emergence as world class players. They were good players when we signed them but what they have both become since they came here has been staggering. I'm not saying Klopp could turn Danny Welbeck into Sadio Mane, but I think if you give him a quick winger with goalscoring potential, and there are many of those around, you'd see similar improvement. 

To me, Firmino's skillset is more unique. I can think of Joao Felix or Griezmann who can do similar things to what he does, that's it. If he was sold, there's no real replacement. Our style would have to change entirely. 

On 20/08/2019 at 12:49, Duff Man said:

Three genuinely world class forwards in, or approaching, their prime. There have been worse times to be a red.

It's the most attacking talent Anfield has ever seen, with the exception of when Kenny Dalglish trains alone.