You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

This forums political compass

Davelfc

Where are you on the political compass?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Where are you on the political compass

• Authoritarian Left
    • Authoritarian Right
    • libertarian Left
    • libertarian Right

Technically all land in the UK is ultimately owned by the Crown But land held in freehold has in the past been the subject of a grant by the Crown of the right to use it absolutely in perpetuity.  Think of it as a lease which can never be brought to an end.  

7 minutes ago, aws said:

Technically all land in the UK is ultimately owned by the Crown But land held in freehold has in the past been the subject of a grant by the Crown of the right to use it absolutely in perpetuity.  Think of it as a lease which can never be brought to an end.  

What if it's in the way of something like HS2 ? 

48 minutes ago, A Red said:

The problem with evidence is that the source is open to "who the fuck are they?" or "well they would say that" etc

Heres an example where you can say that

https://www.highlandtitles.com/blog/this-land-aint-your-land-part-1/

Here's part two of that.

https://www.highlandtitles.com/blog/this-land-aint-your-land-part-2/

49 minutes ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

What if it's in the way of something like HS2 ? 

I think the deal with Compulsory Purchase Orders is that the state (or whoever) can force you to sell but  they can't just take your land, or decide to use it, without paying you a fair price.

20 minutes ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

The Duke of Westminster (133,000 acres) owes his massive fortune to a Norman ancestor, Hugh De Gras Veneur, who forcibly seized land during the Norman Conquest of 1066.

Grosvenor Square.  Bloody French.

18 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

I think the deal with Compulsory Purchase Orders is that the state (or whoever) can force you to sell but  they can't just take your land, or decide to use it, without paying you a fair price.

I get that but the point I'm trying to make is you've got no choice in the matter either way. What if you don't want to sell no matter how fair the price ? 

If you were to turn up at my house and take my car without my consent but leave £5k on my drive as payment which would be way more than the true value of my car, you would (i imagine) have stolen my car in the eyes of the law.

Isn't having a CPO forced on me effectively the same thing ?

8 minutes ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

Did I ? I honestly don't know. Is this written into the terms of a mortgage or within deeds of the property ?

In the States it is a law -- not sure in the UK but it seems it is part and parcel of the deed.

Edit -- nope I'm wrong.  Looks like these were Acts passed by Parliament - most recently amended in 04

2 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

They do normally pay a fair price, but as at happened in the last war, they dont have to pay you anything at all. 

4 hours ago, A Red said:

The problem with evidence is that the source is open to "who the fuck are they?" or "well they would say that" etc

https://www.highlandtitles.com/blog/this-land-aint-your-land-part-1/

I know compulsory order purchases exist in Ireland as well, probably necessary when building motorways through lands etc. I know you could also be required to pay capital gains tax on the money you get from it.

2 minutes ago, moof said:

The problem with evidence is that the source is open to "who the fuck are they?" or "well they would say that" etc

0A29ACF5-A950-43D0-B158-00072A052E35.jpeg

That post was a really good indicator that I'm pretty much over arguing on the internet. Old me, 2009 me, would have 3000 words churned out on that 15 minutes after he posted it. Now? Sure. All good. Honestly, I just don't fuckin' care anymore.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, aws said:

18 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Oh my lord. Okay, sure. 

What don't you agree with? AWS, I believe is a lawyer and there does not seem to be a lot of gray area here. Mick posted part two 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

That post was a really good indicator that I'm pretty much over arguing on the internet. Old me, 2009 me, would have 3000 words churned out on that 15 minutes after he posted it. Now? Sure. All good. Honestly, I just don't fuckin' care anymore.

I must be missing something here, I said something pretty much uncontroversial and non insulting. You dont think its true, fair enough it doesnt matter. Its not a view point i live my life by.  Dont really get the above, does seem a bit theatrical, perhaps your having a bad day. Dunno

We have managed to converse fairly politely recently, l'm happy to try keep it that way