Quantcast
Klopp: Ox was outstandingly good - FF - Football Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
TLW

Klopp: Ox was outstandingly good

Jurgen Klopp has hailed the contribution of Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain as Liverpool made it two wins from two to start the new season by defeating Southampton 2-1 at St Mary’s stadium.

The English international spent a large majority of last season on the sidelines recovering from a serious knee ligament injury sustained in the Champions League semi final clash against Roma in April 2018.

Understandably the comeback had been carefully managed with each hurdle cleared viewed as a major success.

Oxlade-Chamberlain played 45 minutes against Chelsea in the Super Cup where he was part of the front three alongside Mo Salah and Sadio Mane before being replaced Roberto Firmino at half-time.

The 26 year-old ticked another box by making his second consecutive start against his former side in his more familiar position in midfield.

Klopp was very impressed with what he saw as the Liverpool Echo reported:

“Brilliant. It was different, he was outstandingly good. He felt the intensity and knew he was ready for it.

"The 45 minutes on Wednesday we can now say they helped for sure.

“We had to make changes and it was important in the centre of the park especially that we were really there, ready for all these long runs and decisive things. 

“It was good to have these opportunities, and Ox was obviously not bad today.

images.jpeg

The man himself told the Official site what it meant to be back and be playing a meaningful role.

“It was nice to be back out there. In a winning performance is always nice as well.

“I had an alright game, a decent game but the main thing was I wanted to make sure I focused on the defensive duties and making sure I was putting in the work and had the legs to help the boys. 

“I’m glad we did that as a team.

Ox also reflected on his journey back to this stage.

“On a personal level, it’s nice for me, it has been a while since I started but I’m delighted that I could help contribute to the team because that’s what I’ve missed so much, being able to contribute and help this set of players to achieve things. 

“It was really nice to be back out there.”

Much had been made of the short space of time between the game in Istanbul and the clash on the South Coast, but the midfielder was really impressed with the professionalism of the group.

“The fixtures are there and you’ve got to go and win them. 

“We didn’t want to come off the pitch with any excuses as to why we didn’t get the right result.

“We were under the cosh a bit at the end but we played some really good stuff in parts as well.

“It was absolutely brilliant from the boys; after a big midweek, to come and do that at a tough place [shows] what we’re made of.”

View full article

Absolutely anonymous in the first. I actually forgot he was on the pitch. 

Ok in the second half, nothing spectacular, but moved the ball around. He's obviously going to have a lot of work to get back to his best, because his injury really was a bad one. I don't think some of us, myself included, appreciate how bad his injury was. 

Him getting better can only benefit the team, so onwards and upwards. 

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

A neg from the bloke who thinks Kante is a DM. 

Bliss. 

Quit your whining.

I'm desperate for the lad to do well after his injury, but he was a bit of a passenger for large parts of yesterdays game, as he was against Chelsea in the Supercup. I get Klopp is trying to build the lads confidence up though. 

• Like 1

There was one moment in the first half where he made a great covering run into the right back position when Trent was caught upfield and held up the attacker well, outside the box. It's far better to see Klopp building his confidence rather than throwing him, or anyone else, under the bus. In two first halves of football this week, Mané's moment of magic aside, every player was pretty much anonymous, so he's not stood out either way, as his reintroduction continues

9 minutes ago, m0e said:

Watched this game back. He was excellent from 60 mins onwards.

Where from? I’d like to report it to the feds.

Well I've just watched a clip of the highlights which was 3 minutes long and did not see him once. Outrageous comments from Jürgen.

If you don't understand how Klopp works now then you never will , the lad has come back from a terrible injury and needs as much support as is humanly possible he could have had  a mare yesterday but Klopp would say he was fabulous that's why players run through brick walls for him 

• Upvote 3

He's hardly going to say he was shite is he? He was much better than Wednesday but still needs plenty of games under his belt before a balanced decision can be made on his overall form.

6 hours ago, Tj hooker said:

If you don't understand how Klopp works now then you never will , the lad has come back from a terrible injury and needs as much support as is humanly possible he could have had  a mare yesterday but Klopp would say he was fabulous that's why players run through brick walls for him 

Yeah, I think people understand.

15 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

He's hardly going to say he was shite is he? He was much better than Wednesday but still needs plenty of games under his belt before a balanced decision can be made on his overall form.

Klopp could’ve said nothing.

Then no attention would’ve been drawn to how the Ox played either way.

Perhaps he wanted to draw positive attention to the player who’s had the worst luck with injuries and who is trying to get himself back to some kind of form, and negative attention away from those who are, for us, underperforming currently?

I think that’s an example of good management, even if there’s a hint of overplaying how Ox played.

I thought Ox did well, but lost his way when milner went off injured and maybe didn't get his thing back till the 2nd half. I can see why klopp is talking him up, after weds he just wants to keep the pressure off. Not so much with our fans, but the outside media who have probably not watched the game and will form an opinion from klopps words. I think for his first premier League start in almost 18 months, I think Chamberlain should be happy with his performance. 

• Upvote 1