You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Top 10 Football Books

Tony Moanero

1 hour ago, Tony Moanero said:

I can’t get on with David Peace’s writing style. The repetition makes it so boring. Couldn’t finish Red or Dead. I quite liked The Damned United film but thought Timothy Spall was terribly miscast as Peter Taylor.

I noticed that, too, about Peace. It's like he listened to Burt Bacharach's advice on song writing and decided to throw in some hooks but overdid it.

• Upvote 1

Barca: A People's Passion by Jimmy Burns is also very good. Certainly Barcelona was nowhere near as cuntish a club at that time.

Spartak Moscow: A History of the People's Team is a really interesting account of the club's history against the backdrop of life in the old Soviet Union.

Damned United, David Peace

Back From the Brink, Paul McGrath 

Full Time, the Secret Life of Tony Cascarino, Paul Krimmage

All Played Out, Pete Davies

The Glory Game, Hunter Davies

Staying Up, Rick Gegoski

Inverting the Pyramid, Jonathan Wilson

Provided You Don't Kiss Me, Duncan Hamilton

The Greatest Footballer You Never Saw, 

Only A Game, Eamon Dunphy, Paul McGuigan&Paolo Hewitt

• Upvote 2

On 14/08/2019 at 19:52, easytoslip said:

Once you’ve read one book about a player you’ve read the lot really , mostly pretty mundane stuff unless there’s something to relate to but Geoff Twentyman’s was different.

Totally disagree. While there are many mundane autobiographies and biographies there are some excellent books out there from ex players. I really enjoyed Bob Wilson's Behind the Network and also a Tom Finney autobiography and there are a few more I'd recommend but can't remember.

2 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Totally disagree. While there are many mundane autobiographies and biographies there are some excellent books out there from ex players. I really enjoyed Bob Wilson's Behind the Network and also a Tom Finney autobiography and there are a few more I'd recommend but can't remember.

Tom Finney sounds good , just that I found quite a few from the 1980s extremely boring , ex Liverpool players too and couldn’t finish them as they seemed all alike , a few I liked , obviously Shankley ones the Saint as that has some things in I could relate to for particular reasons. I’ve got Souness’s one and Gerrard’s so give them ago , it’s just that footballers are not the most interesting of people to me , though I do like the manager ones etc, each to their own I suppose.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Quote of the month

Diego Maradona

Sunday 28 November 2004
The Observer

'The Thermos-head [Peter Shilton] got cross because of my hand-goal. What about the other one, Shilton, didn't you see that one? He didn't invite me to his testimonial ... oh, my heart bleeds! How many people go to a goalkeeper's testimonial anyway? A goalkeeper's!'
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1