You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Railways

Dougie Do'ins

Another of the BBC great railway journeys and one Ive still got on VHS somewhere that my dad taped back in 1986. Watched it countless times.

Cape Town to Victoria falls by train in 1979, during the Zimbabwe war.

You don’t have to have an interest in trains to enjoy..

• Upvote 1

On 21/01/2022 at 17:37, sir roger said:

I used to enjoy that. He wasn’t scared of bright clothing was he?

Me and my brother had pre booked trip up to Edinburgh on what turned out to be Election day 2019 (had to vote by post) anyhow,we came back first class and got off at Doncaster just before 10pm .I was getting my bags sorted on the platform as my brother walked on ahead,then he stopped and looked into the carriage that was behind ours and  motioned with his head to have alook as I went past,I did and there was Micheal Portillo,sat in a salmon pink jacket looking at his laptop.(His nose is massive!) We guessed he was en route to London and sure enough he was on Channel 4 in the same jacket a few hours later.

• Upvote 1

• 6 months later...
1 hour ago, dockers_strike said:

Fucking hell, a clag fest! Surprised anyone survived in that shed. These old 37s are real stalwarts though, 60 years old and still going!

I may be wrong but I think they were called English Electric Type 3. Used to see loads of them around Crewe tugging shitloads of freight.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, dockers_strike said:

Watched a few of this fella's vids on disused railway lines and the remaining architecture. Some of this is both industrial and cultural vandalism the way many lines were just ripped up and discarded.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but most of them should have been mothballed.

2 hours ago, Captain Willard said:

Imagine that in a crowded Kings Cross under the canopy. 

Think you'd struggle for breath!

Interesting to note, these diesel locos arent directly driven by the diesel engine. It powers a generator to create electricity that drives the traction motors in the bogies.

Some locos like the Hymeks, Warships and Westerns used a diesel engine to power a hydraulic system, similar to that used in some automatic cars.

57 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Think you'd struggle for breath!

Interesting to note, these diesel locos arent directly driven by the diesel engine. It powers a generator to create electricity that drives the traction motors in the bogies.

Some locos like the Hymeks, Warships and Westerns used a diesel engine to power a hydraulic system, similar to that used in some automatic cars.

Yes. I grew up above a shop next to Hither Green locomotive depot in south london. A lot of class 33s going past. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Captain Willard said:

Yes. I grew up above a shop next to Hither Green locomotive depot in south london. A lot of class 33s going past. 

My brother and sister in law live just up from Hither Green.

For the record...I love rail travel  obviously not so much just now, but a seat on the train a glass of red and my book beats M6/M1/M25/A2/A20 anytime

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, redinblack said:

My brother and sister in law live just up from Hither Green.

For the record...I love rail travel  obviously not so much just now, but a seat on the train a glass of red and my book beats M6/M1/M25/A2/A20 anytime

Tell them we used to own the mini mart on the parade of shops by the railway bridge. There was a big train crash there in the 1950s I think. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Captain Willard said:

My favourite loco. I’ve got a OO gauge one in the shed in the same livery. 

Mine too. Ive the old 3 rail Hornby Dublo 'Deltic' that isnt really a Deltic because it's too short and Hornby jumped the gun on its release and had to call it a Co-co diesel instead!

Ive also got a Bachmann OO scale version in 2 tone green. Havent got a sound chip for it yet so only runs on DC not DCC.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Mine too. Ive the old 3 rail Hornby Dublo 'Deltic' that isnt really a Deltic because it's too short and Hornby jumped the gun on its release and had to call it a Co-co diesel instead!

Ive also got a Bachmann OO scale version in 2 tone green. Havent got a sound chip for it yet so only runs on DC not DCC.

You should post a picture of your layout. All my trains are gathering dust on a shelf. I have a lot of o guage clockwork tank locos, went through a weird phase of buying the same train on e Bay over and over. Probably got the biggest collection of a single model in the UK. Don't know why I did it. 

21 hours ago, Captain Willard said:

You should post a picture of your layout. All my trains are gathering dust on a shelf. I have a lot of o guage clockwork tank locos, went through a weird phase of buying the same train on e Bay over and over. Probably got the biggest collection of a single model in the UK. Don't know why I did it. 

My Dublo stuff is in boxes in the loft. Im about to start building an OO scale DCC layout in the garage. Got my track plan built in Anyrail and about half the wood delivered. Having to do it in stages to spread the cost.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

My Dublo stuff is in boxes in the loft. Im about to start building an OO scale DCC layout in the garage. Got my track plan built in Anyrail and about half the wood delivered. Having to do it in stages to spread the cost.

I plan to do that once the kids move out. At the moment the garage is full of bikes, camping gear and paddling pools. My plan is a 1970s recreation of Hither Green in south london so it will be full of class 33s, beige cars and adverts for Watney Party 7s.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Captain Willard said:

I plan to do that once the kids move out. At the moment the garage is full of bikes, camping gear and paddling pools. My plan is a 1970s recreation of Hither Green in south london so it will be full of class 33s, beige cars and adverts for Watney Party 7s.  

Cool. Im just making a layout not based on anywhere to fit in the roughly 5m x 2.6m garage space.