You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Railways

Dougie Do'ins

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
On 11/02/2020 at 14:35, Bobby Hundreds said:

Universe, God, Deity, AI or whatever! please can you just fuck Boris Johnson right off somewhere else an alternate reality, let his sliding doors moment switch the prick into another dimension that isn't this one. Working class people voted for this privileged prick!

Oh, how little we knew

• 9 months later...
10 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Anyone seen one of the new Merseyrail trains in the flesh yet?

Considering the drivers haven't even been trained to drive them, we won't be seeing many any time soon. My mate is a driver, I asked him about these last week.

The old girl loves the heritage train scene. She's into kettles whereas I more a 60's diesel man.

Been down to Cheltenham to ride the Gloucester and Warwickshire railway, the Haverthwaite one in the Lakes and North Yorks Moors Pickering to Whitby. Wanted to do the Severn Valley and a few more but what with the virus, that put things on hold for a while.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

The old girl loves the heritage train scene. She's into kettles whereas I more a 60's diesel man.

Been down to Cheltenham to ride the Gloucester and Warwickshire railway, the Haverthwaite one in the Lakes and North Yorks Moors Pickering to Whitby. Wanted to do the Severn Valley and a few more but what with the virus, that put things on hold for a while.

Has she watched Tim Dunn’s The Architecture the Railways Built series? Highly recommended 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Champ said:

Has she watched Tim Dunn’s The Architecture the Railways Built series? Highly recommended 

I'll second that, knowledgeable bloke, obviously loves what he does, and goes to some fantastic places! He's doing a series about the tube with a young lass called Siddy (her surname escapes me) which is also a good watch. The lady really knows her stuff too.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Creator Supreme said:

I'll second that, knowledgeable bloke, obviously loves what he does, and goes to some fantastic places! He's doing a series about the tube with a young lass called Siddy (her surname escapes me) which is also a good watch. The lady really knows her stuff too.

Holloway. After the station

On 17/10/2019 at 07:18, Creator Supreme said:

That direct route to Glasgow delay is laughable, the little maps above the train doors on the TPE trains show that service as starting from December 2018, and now there's no start date in the near future it seems! They're fucking useless!

50-odd years ago, we used to have direct trains to Glasgow via different routes from Lime Street and Liverpool Exchange - they met up at Preston.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

In the 80s they made some wonderful railway documentaries, they were always on late at night and my dad taped loads of them, some of my earliest memories are of watching these over and over again and then they got taped over years later and it wasn’t until YouTube came about that I was able to see them again, it was sort of like closing a chapter for me because some of the scenes were so engrossed in the back of my mind I was desperate to see them again, but wasn’t sure where they were from. They were beautifully filmed. Here’s a few…

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Mike D said:

In the 80s they made some wonderful railway documentaries, they were always on late at night and my dad taped loads of them, some of my earliest memories are of watching these over and over again and then they got taped over years later and it wasn’t until YouTube came about that I was able to see them again, it was sort of like closing a chapter for me because some of the scenes were so engrossed in the back of my mind I was desperate to see them again, but wasn’t sure where they were from. They were beautifully filmed. Here’s a few…

There used to be a great series late on BBC2 in the early 2000s \ 2010s, called the Golden Age of Steam or Railways? It covered many parts of the railway back in the heyday and then after many tracks were lifted.

I know Portillo is a tory but his railway series Great British Railway Journeys was very entertaining.

• Upvote 1