You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Railways

Dougie Do'ins

Tell you what I had the other day, another delay repay. With Virgin it was automatic as long as you booked it online direct. With Southern, dream on.

But here's the thing. I forget the exact money Farringdon to Eastbourne return with a railcard, £24.00 or something. The two hours delayed outward journey was delay repaid - TWELVE FUCKING ROBBING BASTARD CUNTING QUID. You couldn't actually BUY a single for that price if you booked it for next fucking century. The single journey is (and nothing winds me up more than this fukka) like £23.90 and the return is £24.00. So where do they get off with their twelve poxy ripoff quid? And don't say Eastbourne - especially as I never actually got there by train at all. There's no possible fare of twelve knicker to Eastbourne. Cunts. French* Southern Rail cunting Thatcher cunts. 

Where's my fucking *gets calculator out* eleven bastard pounds ninety you robbing cheese eating surrender monkeys*? jDart. 

*I think Southern are owned by the French. They certainly used to be. They own most of our fucking country now anyway. I can't be arsed looking it up. Even if they're no longer in control of Southern, it seems like they are, so there. 

to ever equate how BR was run before the widespread advent of online technology and the huge advance of telecommunications just shows how ludicrous the comparison used then to now is.

the organisation was hamstrung by the era they operated in and throw in the deliberate under-funding and this just compounded the problems. so it's all hot air that arl chezzy.

same goes for most previously nationalised industries.

quick, run VT of rubbish piled up in Leicester Square back then, has that been on in the last week? usually is. haven't watched much TV lately.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Pistonbroke

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/germany-rail-fares-cut-climate-change-deutsche-bahn-a9267996.html?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR2ApHLv-taQFXhvgnXbr4NOlbkrOeK4gB7b0tqEs8SXp5PVGEZHSeP9wXA#Echobox=1578075769

As UK train fares jump by an average of 2.7 per cent, German long-distance train ticket prices have been slashed by 10 per cent in a bid to entice passengers to use the railways.

The new fares will apply to inter-city journeys of more than 50km in Germany, national operator Deutsche Bahn said.

The fare cut is thanks to a recent VAT cut, which Deutsche Bahn is passing directly onto customers. Last month, VAT on long-distance rail travel in Germany was cut to 7 per cent from 19 per cent.

Train journeys under 50km are already subject to just 7 per cent VAT.

The national train operator predicts that an extra five million passengers a year will use the train thanks to the lower fares.

Deutsche Bahn has also reduced charges for other train services, including fees for taking bikes on board, the BahnCard100 railcard and seat reservations. 

“We are delighted for our millions of long-distance customers in Germany that we can now offer them even more attractive ticket prices on 1 January in the most climate-friendly means of transport,” said Deutsche Bahn CEO Dr Richard Lutz last month when the VAT cut was announced. 

“This is a strong start for the new decade, which is so important in terms of climate policy.”

The operator is planning to invest €12bn in new trains over the coming years.

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/12/2019 at 09:19, Dougie Do'ins said:

That's great but where the fuck is my direct service to Glasgee ?

Avanti to run trains from Liverpool to London every half hour

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/avanti-run-trains-liverpool-london-17385215#ICID=Android_EchoNewsApp_AppShare

I was at Edinburgh Waverley today and saw a train direct to Lime Street. Not sure if that's new, never seen one before. Went via Manchester and took 4 hours so not sure it's any quicker really

2 hours ago, mgw100 said:

I was at Edinburgh Waverley today and saw a train direct to Lime Street. Not sure if that's new, never seen one before. Went via Manchester and took 4 hours so not sure it's any quicker really

Yeah, its TPE running them rather than Avanti. It's an extension of the Newcastle and Leeds services up the East Coast Main Line. I don't think it's any quicker, but at least you don't have to change trains.

9 hours ago, Creator Supreme said:

Yeah, its TPE running them rather than Avanti. It's an extension of the Newcastle and Leeds services up the East Coast Main Line. I don't think it's any quicker, but at least you don't have to change trains.

It was a swanky new train as well rather than the usual TPE bone rattlers.

14 hours ago, mgw100 said:

Strange that. The original proposed direct route was between Liverpool and Glasgow. 

They seem to be making a big deal about these Azuma trains at the moment. I've been on a couple from Newcastle up to Edinburgh and down to London the other week. The only difference I could see to the 'normal' LNER trains is that none of the seat reservations work.

The clusterfuck that is HS2 continues to make news. Now it's not only looking at coming in at over £100bn, they're talking about pausing the continuation from Birmingham to Leeds and Manchester to see if 'it can be run over a mixture of current and high speed lines'!

So in other words it's just a rich mans metro system which will turn Birmingham in to a suburb of London! Well who'd have thunk it!

2 hours ago, Creator Supreme said:

The clusterfuck that is HS2 continues to make news. Now it's not only looking at coming in at over £100bn, they're talking about pausing the continuation from Birmingham to Leeds and Manchester to see if 'it can be run over a mixture of current and high speed lines'!

So in other words it's just a rich mans metro system which will turn Birmingham in to a suburb of London! Well who'd have thunk it!

I travel to London most weeks I've genuinely no idea why people think it needs to be closer. 2 hours is just fine. The whole of HS2 should be fucked right off, including the Birmingham to London segment. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

I travel to London most weeks I've genuinely no idea why people think it needs to be closer. 2 hours is just fine. The whole of HS2 should be fucked right off, including the Birmingham to London segment. 

It's a ridiculous amount of money to spend on such marginal gains. Especially when said gains can easily be wiped out at either end of the journey by the shitty, fragmented onward local travel.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Mudface said:

It's a ridiculous amount of money to spend on such marginal gains. Especially when said gains can easily be wiped out at either end of the journey by the shitty, fragmented onward local travel.

Exactly. It's pointless. I think the only thing we need to be concerned about is capacity, it doesn't need to be closer. 

If HS2 goes ahead then the cost will continue to spiral. Once the no turning back point has been reached, there'll be no option but to continue pumping money into it. The final count will be more nearer to £2bn.

Anyway, hopefully someone sees that it's just not worth the money just to cut journey times.

HS2: Give me the facts, says Shapps

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51171249

• 2 weeks later...