You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Railways

Dougie Do'ins

I see that Virgin have lost the franchise to run the West Coast line. It's been awarded to Fistgroup and Italian firm Trenitalia set to be called First Trenitalia.

Virgin have also been bared from bidding to keep running the route but the BBC article doesn't say why.

FirstGroup replaces Virgin to run West Coast route

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49341772

I had no particular problem with Virgin as every time I used the service, mainly to travel between Liverpool to London, I always managed to get a seat and provided I booked early enough, managed to pay a decent price. When there were delays, it was never a problem relating to Virgin themselves. It was either weather, infrastructure related or in one case, someone threatening to jump from a bridge. When there were delays, it was a piece of piss to claim back refunds. 

Virgin are far from faultless but compare that with the experience I had with Trans Pennine Express when traveling from Manchester Oxford Road to Edinburgh a couple of weeks ago and a Sunday morning for the friendly against Napoli.

The train started out at Manchester Airport and was already over half full by the time it chugged ten minutes late into MOR. The platform was rammed and it was obvious there wasn't going to be enough seats in the four carriages for everyone to sit down. Not only that, but it was plainly obvious the train was going to be severely overcrowded, and by the time the train left MOR, the train was full to bursting. It was that bad, it was virtually impossible to get down the carriage to the toilet which didn't help the lad who threw up over the poor girl who was sat on the floor in front of him.

This problem obviously just isn't related to First Pennine Express but how the fuck are the train companies allowed to just get away with selling tickets where the only regulation on the capacity of the trains seems to be when they literally cant squeeze anyone else on them ? There's laws in place preventing animals being transported in such a way.

Contrast that with the experience we I had when trying to get back form Madrid to Alicante on the Sunday morning after the CL final. Couldn't get a ticket on any of the direct trains as all the seats were sold. 

I don't know if renationalisation is the answer but the current way of operating the trains is very flawed.

In other railway news, next years price increases have been revealed and are set to go up by 2.8% in January.

Rail fares set to rise again by up to 2.8%

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49331238

12 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Northern have to be the worst trains every. Rickety old things. Never ever on time. Always over crowded. Far too expensive. 

Cant stand any of them though to be honest. 

Don't they operate Pacer trains ? The carriages were originally designed for buses.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-35725299

3 minutes ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

Don't they operate Pacer trains ? The carriages were originally designed for buses.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-35725299

Thats them mate. They have a few more modern ones in service but even they are a shambles. When the new Virgin trains came in (The Pendelinos) I thought they were boss. Obviously travelling up and down the country from the Navy etc. They haven't changed since though and they stink. They give me a headache if I'm sat anywhere near the toilets. 

2 hours ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

I see that Virgin have lost the franchise to run the West Coast line. It's been awarded to Fistgroup and Italian firm Trenitalia set to be called First Trenitalia.

Virgin have also been bared from bidding to keep running the route but the BBC article doesn't say why.

FirstGroup replaces Virgin to run West Coast route

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49341772

I had no particular problem with Virgin as every time I used the service, mainly to travel between Liverpool to London, I always managed to get a seat and provided I booked early enough, managed to pay a decent price. When there were delays, it was never a problem relating to Virgin themselves. It was either weather, infrastructure related or in one case, someone threatening to jump from a bridge. When there were delays, it was a piece of piss to claim back refunds. 

Virgin are far from faultless but compare that with the experience I had with Trans Pennine Express when traveling from Manchester Oxford Road to Edinburgh a couple of weeks ago and a Sunday morning for the friendly against Napoli.

The train started out at Manchester Airport and was already over half full by the time it chugged ten minutes late into MOR. The platform was rammed and it was obvious there wasn't going to be enough seats in the four carriages for everyone to sit down. Not only that, but it was plainly obvious the train was going to be severely overcrowded, and by the time the train left MOR, the train was full to bursting. It was that bad, it was virtually impossible to get down the carriage to the toilet which didn't help the lad who threw up over the poor girl who was sat on the floor in front of him.

This problem obviously just isn't related to First Pennine Express but how the fuck are the train companies allowed to just get away with selling tickets where the only regulation on the capacity of the trains seems to be when they literally cant squeeze anyone else on them ? There's laws in place preventing animals being transported in such a way.

Contrast that with the experience we I had when trying to get back form Madrid to Alicante on the Sunday morning after the CL final. Couldn't get a ticket on any of the direct trains as all the seats were sold. 

I don't know if renationalisation is the answer but the current way of operating the trains is very flawed.

In other railway news, next years price increases have been revealed and are set to go up by 2.8% in January.

Rail fares set to rise again by up to 2.8%

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49331238

First Genitalia. 

The Pendolinos were great back in 2004. I found virgin to be on time and only had one bad delay (from Inverness to London the train couldn’t climb moderate hills out of Inverness due to frost on tracks but the engineer actually came across a sand box from the 1900s and managed to sand it, there was a 1.5 hr delay on arrival and I got my full ticket refunded in aboot a fortnight) and they lay on extra trains into London when Liverpool are home. Sit in first class as they always declassify the train.

Travel frequently to Portsmouth Harbour And always found Southwest good but I always go off peak. And no, it was not for a bit of Navy bum fun with Stig; my sister lives on IOW.

I like trains.   

23 minutes ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

Why would Virgin be barred from applying to run it again ? 

To do with Virgins partner (Stagecoach) pensions setup.

Simular thing happened with Stagecoach with the East Midlands Railway franchise rebid in recent months so they would have known in advance things weren’t looking good.

8 minutes ago, Juniper said:

To do with Virgins partner (Stagecoach) pensions setup.

Simular thing happened with Stagecoach with the East Midlands Railway franchise rebid in recent months so they would have known in advance things weren’t looking good.

Your right. Mentioned in this.

Virgin plans cheaper rival Liverpool-London train service

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-48596575

We best still be getting the much promised direct service to Scotland/Glasgow.

21 minutes ago, Nunavut Patrick said:

The Pendolinos were great back in 2004. I found virgin to be on time and only had one bad delay (from Inverness to London the train couldn’t climb moderate hills out of Inverness due to frost on tracks but the engineer actually came across a sand box from the 1900s and managed to sand it, there was a 1.5 hr delay on arrival and I got my full ticket refunded in aboot a fortnight) and they lay on extra trains into London when Liverpool are home. Sit in first class as they always declassify the train.

Travel frequently to Portsmouth Harbour And always found Southwest good but I always go off peak. And no, it was not for a bit of Navy bum fun with Stig; my sister lives on IOW.

I like trains.   

Southwest are fine until a leaf blows on the track between Guildford and Woking. Then its every man for himself. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Creator Supreme said:

The fare enforcers on Northern are fucking cunts, the way they speak to people is disgusting, you'd think they'd stolen the crown jewels rather than not bought a train ticket!

I've got no problem with them enforcing fares on fare dodgers but the train companies should similarly be held to account when they knowingly put more people on trains than there are seats. Especially on long journeys.

3 minutes ago, Creator Supreme said:

The fare enforcers on Northern are fucking cunts, the way they speak to people is disgusting, you'd think they'd stolen the crown jewels rather than not bought a train ticket!

Had a train delay from Warrington to Widnes last year. Train was due at 7 minutes past 5, one didn't come until half 6 and it was rammed. Loads got off but loads more got on. It was a fucking nightmare. Baking hot summer day as well, everyone sweating and in a foul mood. Get off at Widnes and they had two ticket inspectors at the side gate. I showed one mine and went "Bit of a nerve having youse stood here isn't it" and the fat cunt told me to "Fuck off". 

Some people my say fair play to the guy but that sums their customer service up. They blocked me on twitter for calling them a shambles after the 9th long delay on the bounce. 

20 minutes ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

I've got no problem with them enforcing fares on fare dodgers but the train companies should similarly be held to account when they knowingly put more people on trains than there are seats. Especially on long journeys.

Me neither mate, but the other day I saw a lad try and get to the ticket window to pay, not trying to skip his fare, and said enforcement cunt gave the poor kid the third degree!