You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gender Stereotypes Advertising Rules

Davelfc

New advertising rules will ban certain gender stereotypes in British adverts. The Advertising Standards Authority cites some adverts as harmful with 'unfair outcomes' for the younger generation.

GENDER STEREOTYPING: So what are the tough new rules on gender stereotype adverts?

They end outdated expectations of stereotype duties performed by men and women.

Examples include cleaning and washing clothes by females and basic domestic tasks carried out by men.

A report called 'Deceptions, Perceptions, and Harm' made the conclusions. It says British advertising needs to take a tougher line on ads featuring gender stereotyping.

The report author claims depicting gender stereotypes in ads has a potential to reinforce expectations. It focuses on how gender groups or individuals should appear or behave.

The concern relates to the way people consider their own aspirations and potential. Even so, new standards will not stop gender stereotyping altogether. But, the new gendered advertising rules ban certain scenarios.

Scenarios Banned by Gender Stereotyping Rules

A female with the sole responsibility of cleaning up a family mess.

A male failing to conduct some basic household chores.

Advertisements that suggest an activity is 'inappropriate' for girls or boys because it gets associated with the other sex more often.

Are aimed at new mothers portraying that keeping a home tidy or looking good has more importance than having emotional wellbeing.

Disparage a man for carrying out something considered as being a 'stereotypical' role for a female.

Show a male person resting with his feet up while a female cleans the house.

Show either of the genders failing to perform a task due to their gender (e.g. a woman failing to park a vehicle or a man failing to change a baby's nappy).

Television adverts which portrayed women as unadventurous and fathers as irresponsible parents have become the first to be banned under new gender stereotyping rules.

The Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) investigated Volkswagen UK and Mondelez, owners of Philadelphia soft cheese, following complaints from viewers.

Some 128 people objected about an ad for Philadelphia soft cheese that featured two new fathers leaving a baby on a restaurant buffet conveyor belt while they were distracted by the food.

Complainants said the ad perpetuated a harmful stereotype by suggesting that men were incapable of caring for children and would place them at risk as a result of their incompetence.

While three viewers complained about an ad for the Volkswagen eGolf car. 

The advert showed a sleeping woman and a man in a tent on a sheer cliff face, two male astronauts floating in a space ship and a male para-athlete with a prosthetic leg doing the long jump before a final scene showed a woman sitting on a bench next to a pram.

Critics argued that the ad perpetuated harmful gender stereotypes by showing men engaged in adventurous activities in contrast to a woman in a care-giving role.

I see this as a good move, because as a man I get pissed off with the old trope of the useless husband. (I'm not saying there aren't useless husbands) it might actually make adverts better or we might end up with more shite like the go compare now that they can't rely on tired old stereotypes. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

I for one am glad to see a few ads for men’s problems, fed up with ones for women pissing themselves and jam rags. Good old ads cause you can’t get a lob on are fine by me.

I can still get a lob on. 

I just just choose not to.

We don’t want the trivago lady off the telly do we? Let’s not be hasty here 

They can get rid of all ads as far as I'm concerned. The vast majority are utter rubbish, especially the ridiculous credit score ones that try to make out that signing up to get an arbitrary figure for your creditworthiness will somehow turn you either into some ultra-cool hipster or the new Rockefeller.

• Upvote 1