You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Chelsea (N) Super Cup Final 14/8

Bjornebye

And already the moaning has started about the saved penalty, keeper didn't have one foot on the line when it was taken. Good, I don't care! Maybe diving to gain a penalty is something they should be moaning about instead.

I hope the controversy carries on, their tears make me smile more. 

tenor.gif?itemid=5412476&f=1

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, Champions of Europe said:

And already the moaning has started about the saved penalty, keeper didn't have one foot on the line when it was taken. Good, I don't care! Maybe diving to gain a penalty is something they should be moaning about instead.

I hope the controversy carries on, their tears make me smile more. 

tenor.gif?itemid=5412476&f=1

Aventus' picture above shows that Abraham has already taken the penalty and Adrian's back foot is barely in front of the line.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Aventus said:

Instant Karma

EB9jcf4XYAI3JB0.jpeg

If you zoom in on the ball, that's an instant after the ball has been struck. He's allowed to be an inch off his line at that point. 

I assume that the  VAR people check every penalty for this. But then I suppose some bitter nobheads on Twitter know better than the officials.

5 hours ago, viRdjil said:

He won the World Cup and the league with Chelsea as DM. He also played as DM last night. He was good as an auxiliary box-to-box player for Sarri but certainly not as good as he could’ve been. Even under Sarri his role was more defensive than Jorginho, even though he played ahead of him.

Not like you to double down on being wrong. I just posted a video where someone within the game tells you he has never been a DM in his club career, literally never. Why are you ignoring this?

Zola clearly explains; he's in a midfield 2 at Leicester, Drinkwater is the sitting one and Kante can go wherever he likes. Forward, backwards, whatever. Same for Chelsea under Conte; Matic is the DM, Kante is box to box. And then, your last sentence makes no sense. Under Sarri, Jorginho is the deepest midfielder, he's obviously the most defensive and is playing as the DM, but he's a playmaker so he's not doing that much tackling. Kante, again is in a box to box role, but it's a bit more offensive because he's playing further up in a midfield 3 as opposed to what he had done in a midfield 2. 

Watch the video. You clearly didn't watch it. Kante being a DM has gotta be one of the dumbest myths in world football. He's a clear box to box midfielder. He is everywhere on the pitch. 

4 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

If you zoom in on the ball, that's an instant after the ball has been struck. He's allowed to be an inch off his line at that point. 

I assume that the  VAR people check every penalty for this. But then I suppose some bitter nobheads on Twitter know better than the officials.

How anyone that is remotely fair minded can complain about the possibility that Adrian's foot was a fractionally off the line is beyond me. Abraham dived for the pen and it should never have been given. Justice was done end off .

34 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Not like you to double down on being wrong. I just posted a video where someone within the game tells you he has never been a DM in his club career, literally never. Why are you ignoring this? Zola clearly explains; he's in a midfield 2 at Leicester, Drinkwater is the sitting one and Kante can go wherever he likes. Same for Chelsea under Conte; Matic is the DM, Kante is box to box.

Watch the video, you clearly didn't watch it. Kante being a DM has gotta be one of the dumbest myths in world football. He's a clear box to to box midfielder. He is everywhere on the pitch. 

Let’s not get personal 3 Stacks and just focus the football chat, cos I’m not really interested. You haven’t really watched that much football, if you think there’s only one way to play the DM role. Under Rafa, Mascherano always played just ahead of Xabi Alonso... again Gattuso always played ahead of Pirlo for Milan and for the NT. Khedira always played just ahead of Xabi Alonso, but his role was always more defensive. 

• Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

Let’s not get personal 3 Stacks and just focus the football chat, cos I’m not really interested. You haven’t really watched that much football, if you think there’s only one way to play the DM role. Under Rafa, Mascherano always played just ahead of Xabi Alonso... again Gattuso always played ahead of Pirlo. Khedira always played just ahead of Xabi Alonso, but his role was always more defensive. 

Mate, come on, you always do this. It's not personal. You have a tendency to ignore facts and it's hard to argue/discuss with you because of that. There's no point. Zola literally utters the words "Kante is not a sitting midfielder. He was free to go forwards, backwards, wherever he wanted." Genuinely, what more do you need? Plus, you're wrong and being arrogant about it. 

14 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Mate, come on, you always do this. It's not personal. You have a tendency to ignore facts and it's hard to argue/discuss with you because of that. There's no point. Zola literally utters the words "Kante is not a sitting midfielder. He was free to go forwards, backwards, wherever he wanted." Genuinely, what more do you need? Plus, you're wrong and being arrogant about it. 

I never said he was a sitting midfielder did I? He’s a defensive midfielder, even whilst having the license to roam. Not unlike Khedira or Gattuso or Mascherano under Rafa.

6 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

I never said he was a sitting midfielder did I? He’s a defensive midfielder, even whilst having the license to roam. Not unlike Khedira or Gattuso or Mascherano under Rafa.

Again, Kante is a box to box midfielder. "Sitting" and "defensive" are basically used as synonyms to describe the role of a midfielder. The connotation is the same; they don't move up, they defend and protect a defense. That's why it's called a "defensive" midfielder. They defend. Kante does not do that, he does far more. 

If you want examples of defensive or sitting midfielders, there's Busquets, who is a possession oriented one and Casemiro, who protects the back four. 

Anyway, this is useless because you'll never admit you were wrong. 

Not really. Gattuso was a defensive midfielder, so was Ambrosini, so was Edgar Davids, so was Mascherano when he played under Rafa, so was Sami Khedira when he did the legwork for Xabi.  None of those just sat and but their roles were more defensive than their partners.

5 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

Not really. Gattuso was a defensive midfielder, so was Ambrosini, so was Edgar Davids, so was Mascherano when he played under Rafa, so was Sami Khedira when he did the legwork for Xabi.  None of those just sat and but their roles were more defensive than their partners.

You're skirting from the subject. We're talking about Kante. I don't care to argue with you about the positioning of those other players. 

Again, you're wrong and won't admit it. It's really not the end of the world to not be right on the internet, mate. I'll leave it that because this is going around in circles. 

Guest Pistonbroke
1 hour ago, Jennings said:

Wow. 

Chelsea were better than I expected. 

Kante bossed that midfield. 

The way the game started I thought we were going to twat them, when they didn't concede they grew in confidence and started bossing the MF, mostly due to Kante and the quick thinking of Pullisic, how they didn't start him against the Mancs is beyond me. Having said that, we still had more of the possession over the 120 minutes and had 11 shots to 6 on target. I probably jumped in too early on the slagging Lampard off, he is naive but he certainly has the players at his disposal to have a decent season. They do waste a shit load of good chances though. 

55 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Again, Kante is a box to box midfielder. "Sitting" and "defensive" are basically used as synonyms to describe the role of a midfielder. The connotation is the same; they don't move up, they defend and protect a defense. That's why it's called a "defensive" midfielder. They defend. Kante does not do that, he does far more. 

If you want examples of defensive or sitting midfielders, there's Busquets, who is a possession oriented one and Casemiro, who protects the back four. 

Anyway, this is useless because you'll never admit you were wrong. 

I think the answer likely is that he's good enough to do both, and he's been deployed in both ways over the years.

Even when he's box to box in terms of ground covered he's there to break up play and play in more creative players.