Quantcast
VAR shit show 19/20 - Page 7 - FF - Football Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
davelfc*

VAR shit show 19/20

Judging by how VAR is supposed to be used, I think the correct thing in the Villa game would have been to let play go on after the supposed foul/dive, and then check back with VAR, either awarding or disallowing the subsequent goal. Instead, Kevin Friend went all Kevin Friend and followed his own rules. The guys in the VAR room don't seem to want to overrule the man in the middle by having decisions (or non-decisions) overturned and making the official seem inept, so they didn't even look at it. They don't realise that they make the whole thing look inept. The problem with VAR isn't so much the technology as it is those in charge of implementing it and making the decisions.

5 minutes ago, Trumo said:

Judging by how VAR is supposed to be used, I think the correct thing in the Villa game would have been to let play go on after the supposed foul/dive, and then check back with VAR, either awarding or disallowing the subsequent goal. Instead, Kevin Friend went all Kevin Friend and followed his own rules. The guys in the VAR room don't seem to want to overrule the man in the middle by having decisions (or non-decisions) overturned and making the official seem inept, so they didn't even look at it. They don't realise that they make the whole thing look inept. The problem with VAR isn't so much the technology as it is those in charge of implementing it and making the decisions.

That Friend is one the worst officials on the circuit, he's utterly incompetent. 

The only good thing to come out of VAR is that players are much more reluctant to go to ground. The Grealish thing was all wrong, but it will make players much more reluctant to dive and refs more willing to give the benefit of doubt to the defender.

4 minutes ago, rubble-rouser said:

The only good thing to come out of VAR is that players are much more reluctant to go to ground. The Grealish thing was all wrong, but it will make players much more reluctant to dive and refs more willing to give the benefit of doubt to the defender.

I don't think he dived or was looking for a penalty. It was a definite free kick at least.

Seems to me that VAR is taking the heat off the refs.

Some fucking shocking decisions where VAR is never needed anyway, and yet all the commentary talks about is VAR!

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I don't think he dived or was looking for a penalty. It was a definite free kick at least.

I totally agree, it was the wrong decision, but the one thing that really can and will be picked up us out and out diving. I think it will be massively scrutinised and I think it’s influencing the way forwards play and the way refs see it.

10 hours ago, rubble-rouser said:

I totally agree, it was the wrong decision, but the one thing that really can and will be picked up us out and out diving. I think it will be massively scrutinised and I think it’s influencing the way forwards play and the way refs see it.

You only have to look at the back pages today. 

Has there been a single decision overturned under the 'clear and present danger' rule yet in any of the 40 Premiership games played so far ? The tackle on Callum Wilson was the most obvious red card I have seen for some time.

This was one of my worries , that English referees are so mollycoddled under Riley and Webb and their egos that fragile they will not allow themselves to have them to have any decisions questioned. The minute we were humiliated by being told that we had no referees or linesman good enough to participate at the last World Cup Riley should have been history.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, sir roger said:

Has there been a single decision overturned under the 'clear and present danger' rule yet in any of the 40 Premiership games played so far ? The tackle on Callum Wilson was the most obvious red card I have seen for some time.

This was one of my worries , that English referees are so mollycoddled under Riley and Webb and their egos that fragile they will not allow themselves to have them to have any decisions questioned. The minute we were humiliated by being told that we had no referees or linesman good enough to participate at the last World Cup Riley should have been history.

He should have been history as a ref. Quite easily among the worst I've ever seen.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, sir roger said:

Martin Atkinson was the VAR ref.

• Upvote 1

Referees don’t want to make a prat of themselves by making a dodgy decision (when VAR can bale them out) and VAR is reluctant to overrule the on field  decision. Recipe for inaction. 

Football should be a self contained event comprising 22 players and three officials. The rest of us are spectators. 

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Barnesey said:

Referees don’t want to make a prat of themselves by making a dodgy decision (when VAR can bale them out) and VAR is reluctant to overrule the on field  decision. Recipe for inaction. 

Football should be a self contained event comprising 22 players and three officials. The rest of us are spectators. 

Dead on.

Absolutely pointless even having it. Supposed to be for clear and obvious errors by the ref. Not giving us a penalty for a bear hug on Matip I would say is an error, a big one. Yet they didnt even step in.

If they are not going to do anything with VAR then bin it off.

• Upvote 1

Nothing wrong with VAR. It's the incompetent fucking cheats who adjudicat with it who are the problem. 

Mike Dean and his fucking cronies should be swinging from the crossbars Mussolini style. 

Kill it with fire.

It'll never work in the Premier League because those in charge of using it are either absolutely fucking shit at their jobs or complete cowards.

• Upvote 1