You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

VAR shit show 19/20

Davelfc

2 hours ago, Champions of Europe said:

I’m at all the home games so any help on this will be appreciated. For this particular thread I am thinking of only counting var decisions that are made that change the referees decision. So possible red card, or possible offsides etc don’t count if var doesn’t then uphold them.

The issue here is that referees and their assistants will be minded to let the play go one rather than calling tight decisions that they would have made without VAR. If it is a close offside, they will more likely play on, if there is a penalty call, they may not make it knowing that it can be reviewed etc

4 minutes ago, August said:

Luck would dictate and we're revert back to belting them at the post/cross bar instead. VAR would still come up to show the replay and "NO GOAL" would be spammed everywhere. 

VAR would also give goals and the ref would override to give a foul to the oppo. 

Crystal clear that we're not going to benefit. Why would we? 

Sorry I mean to count for or against us in this thread. Luck will always be an element in football, thankfully. But being considered unlucky when it comes to not getting legitimate decisions is not good. Personally I don’t think var will change that as much as people think, if at all. 

1 minute ago, The Woolster said:

The issue here is that referees and their assistants will be minded to let the play go one rather than calling tight decisions that they would have made without VAR. If it is a close offside, they will more likely play on, if there is a penalty call, they may not make it knowing that it can be reviewed etc

Agreed. It gives them an excuse for shitting out of tight calls. 

1 minute ago, sir roger said:

To be fair the liners have been told to only flag for obvious offsides and let VAR sort the others.

Which makes sense if the ball goes in the net but if it doesn't there won't be a VAR referral and the course of play has been changed because a probable offside was ignored.  

• Upvote 3

I suppose there will be times when shithouse refs will avoid making a decision, holding their ear to see what they should do. A bit like when a lino doesn’t hold the flag up until the ref has made a decision. I’d imagine as the season goes on we might see more of that. 

That’s a difficult one really, when it comes to deciding if it benefitted us  because without var the decision could have gone our way. Maybe for the purpose of this thread those specific instances should go down as ‘neither’ unless there’s a consensus of us that decide one way or another. 

57 minutes ago, Champions of Europe said:

I suppose there will be times when shithouse refs will avoid making a decision, holding their ear to see what they should do. A bit like when a lino doesn’t hold the flag up until the ref has made a decision. I’d imagine as the season goes on we might see more of that. 

That’s a difficult one really, when it comes to deciding if it benefitted us  because without var the decision could have gone our way. Maybe for the purpose of this thread those specific instances should go down as ‘neither’ unless there’s a consensus of us that decide one way or another. 

I think the way suggested is the correct way of doing it, because any other way would be distorted by subjectivity, but you just have to be aware of the bias in the results, so you can't necessarily compare to 'without VAR', you should probably only compare to decisions given to opposition.  

I hate VAR but mainly for the immeasurable stuff. I expect it will get more decisions right than previously but it will also break games up and slow them down which will work against more often than not. 

We'll also never score a goal like the one v Fulham at Anfield last season again as the VAR would be getting looked at for two minutes on Fulham's offside goal first.

Added to that it ruins the experience of the moment when the ball hits the goal.

I see it as more scientifically accurate but at the expense of what makes football so popular. It's fucking shit.

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, aws said:

Which makes sense if the ball goes in the net but if it doesn't there won't be a VAR referral and the course of play has been changed because a probable offside was ignored.  

I was getting stressed out about this because I was thinking what if they don’t give it because they think if a goal comes VAR will rule it out and then play rolls on but you don’t fully clear it and they still score from a phase of play following it.  What seems to be happening though is that they let it roll on if the linesman is unsure but the flag goes up if VAR confirm the offside.  It happened in the charity shield.  It’s not like a goal review where the play has stopped, they are actively reviewing the offsides as the game is going.

I think people will get used to the not sure whether to celebrate thing.  Just like with offsides without VAR you get the feel of whether a goal is a goal or not and look to the linesman.  

Currently if I’m ever unsure I never get carried away in the moment and I think most people who aren’t clever enough to notice it could be offside deserve to be laughed at.

With the introduction of VAR I think the amount of goals that get overturned will be very small and mean people won’t be worried about celebrating.  That obviously means even geniuses like me will get caught out occasionally the odd time it does happen.

30 minutes ago, The Woolster said:

I think the way suggested is the correct way of doing it, because any other way would be distorted by subjectivity, but you just have to be aware of the bias in the results, so you can't necessarily compare to 'without VAR', you should probably only compare to decisions given to opposition.  

It’s important to note that I’m not in the slightest bit interested in the validity of the decisions, for this thread anyway. Just that var changed a decision.

Did the referee/official have his decision changed by var yes/no

Did the decision have a positive effect for us yes/no

Every season differs, we won’t be getting peer reviewed but if there’s a clear swing one way or another then it will be a clearer indicator if we have benefitted from it this season or not. 

I would hope that at some point in the season some official stats will be released and in that the impact it has had on teams, in fact I can almost guarantee it.

Guest Pistonbroke

We only conceded 22 goals last season, City 23. That won't happen this season as VAR will make it harder for teams to keep a clean sheet, especially with the new rules ref hand ball etc. As long as VAR is consistent then I don't see a problem, but you know it will just add controversy as human error will still be involved.  

I'm looking forward to the days of things like that penalty malouda won being a thing of the past. 

There'll no doubt be a lot of whining over it cause it's change.   It'll undeniably allow for more fairness and as a team usually on the attack, that'll only benefit us in the long run. 

2 minutes ago, Grinch said:

I'm looking forward to the days of things like that penalty malouda won being a thing of the past. 

There'll no doubt be a lot of whining over it cause it's change.   It'll undeniably allow for more fairness and as a team usually on the attack, that'll only benefit us in the long run. 

Sickener that was. 

Clear cut goals should not need VAR. Just when the ref decides its debatable should it be used. 

Just now, Bjornebye said:

Sickener that was. 

Clear cut goals should not need VAR. Just when the ref decides its debatable should it be used. 

Seen it today on one of those sky Sports year review things.   Annoyingly the penalty that never was over shadowed a great Torres goal.   They didn't even fucking show it but I'm sure it was the same game. 

6 minutes ago, Grinch said:

Seen it today on one of those sky Sports year review things.   Annoyingly the penalty that never was over shadowed a great Torres goal.   They didn't even fucking show it but I'm sure it was the same game. 

Yeah it was. Alonso was our player involved wasn't he? or Garcia? They had a proper snidey squad that year Chelsea. Boswinga was a little cunt. 

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

Yeah it was. Alonso was our player involved wasn't he? or Garcia? They had a proper snidey squad that year Chelsea. Boswinga was a little cunt. 

Finnan.   Although he just kind of happened to be standing there as Malouda jumped into him.   Ref looking right at it, view unimpeded. 

Goal ruled out for a marginal offside, another allowed despite a clear foul missed by the ref.  Clear and obvious errors, or a way for pedantic arseholes to stamp their authority?  They've fixed the process a lot, but the application is still totally wrong.

6 minutes ago, aws said:

The penalty retake idea after the keeper moves is a bit of a joke too.  Was VAR in operation during the pens at the Charity Shield? 

Nowt to do with the keeper.   Over rated rice broke into the area before it was hit,  another correct decision.