You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

VAR shit show 19/20

Davelfc

Another week, another flubbing of VAR. And again, it's not the technology that's the problem, it's the people using it. Slapdicks in the VAR booth, slapdicks on the pitch. If ever a profession was a true reflection of its figurehead, then English match officials and Mike Riley are a perfect example. They do something stupid, double down on it, are never held accountable and just pat themselves on the back for a job well done.

Not so long ago, there was this thing about only giving offside if there was 'daylight' between the attacker and the last defender. That quietly went away without anything being said, and offsides have been called when the attacker is barely the width of a gnat's chuff beyond the last defender. And that is with any part of their body.

I think IFAB (the body that makes the game's rules) and FIFA (who have oversight and implementation) would be better off by basing it on the standing foot of the players involved. Players won't always have both feet on the ground at the moment a ball is played through (especially if they are running), so using VAR to see where the standing foot is is a lot easier than this dotted line trying to spot an offside part of the body such as a fingernail. What if a player is in the air when the ball comes to them? Generally speaking, the player won't have got airborne until after the ball is played as they try to time their jump. They'll still have had at least one standing foot when the ball was played. If a player was airborne BEFORE the ball was played in, you'd have to ask yourself why as there is no obvious situation that would call for it.

These officials need all the help they can get, so simplify some of these things so they have less to think about.

Show the freeze frame of that offside to any football fan anywhere in the world without the MS paint line on it, and without them knowing if it was called off or on, and 99% of responses will say it’s onside.

there were people in here saying VAR was always getting offsides right, but it’s not - not just this one.

the game isn’t meant to be officiated to the millimetre. 

we were happy for decades with the words “he’s level” and “the benefit of the doubt goes to the attacker”.

this isn’t accurate enough that those words which served us happily for years and years should just be thrown in the bin.

the second I saw the replay I said to my missus that it was a good goal, he was onside.

and he was. He most definitely, certainly, by all definitions except for the VAR technology, was.

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

Show the freeze frame of that offside to any football fan anywhere in the world without the MS paint line on it, and without them knowing if it was called off or on, and 99% of responses will say it’s onside.

there were people in here saying VAR was always getting offsides right, but it’s not - not just this one.

the game isn’t meant to be officiated to the millimetre. 

we were happy for decades with the words “he’s level” and “the benefit of the doubt goes to the attacker”.

this isn’t accurate enough that those words which served us happily for years and years should just be thrown in the bin.

the second I saw the replay I said to my missus that it was a good goal, he was onside.

and he was. He most definitely, certainly, by all definitions except for the VAR technology, was.

Spot on. VAR in the PL is a fucking joke.

FADE IN:

INT. Courtroom number 1 - The Old Bailey

The press are packed for such a high profile case.

Artists hurriedly sketch the scene to be ready for the news outlets later that evening.

A general hubbub emanates from the public gallery as the eyewitness leaves the stand. Not just any eyewitness, a senior policeman no-less.

The defendant knowing he is innocent, remembers that his defence barrister has one last ace up his sleeve...

Prosecution Barrister: Based on the excellent eyewitness account - we have to find the defendant guilty as charged!!!

Defence Barrister: M'Lud, we have obtained a video of the incident. We would like to show it to the court. It clearly shows that no crime was committed by our client.

Judge: Proceed.

Defence Barrister: There! The court can clearly see from this video that our client is innocent. Does the prosecution agree?

Prosecution Barrister: Well, yes. The video does show that he didn't do it.

Defence Barrister: So, we can dismiss the charge.

Prosecution Barrister (addressing the judge):  I propose Your Honour, a change to the way we use this evidence. I propose that we use the video to prove our eyewitness didn't make an *obvious* mistake…

…Rather than using it to prove whether the defendant is guilty.

Defence Barrister (laughing): HahahaYou would have to be completely mad to find someone guilty with such nonsensical use of evidence.

PREMIER LEAGUE: GUILTY!! HANG HIM!! NEXT!

12 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

Not really, football is a contact sport. Would’ve been a soft foul. 

Have you ever had studs in the back of your legs? Whether they come through with excessive force or simply touch you as a result of a run from behind, it hurts. 

Of course football is a contact sport, but using that argument then Roy Keane should not have been sent off for deliberately snapping an opponents leg in half and ending his career. 

1 minute ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Have you ever had studs in the back of your legs? Whether they come through with excessive force or simply touch you as a result of a run from behind, it hurts. 

Of course football is a contact sport, but using that argument then Roy Keane should not have been sent off for deliberately snapping an opponents leg in half and ending his career. 

Excessive contact should result in a foul. I don’t think the contact was excessive. 

2 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

Excessive contact should result in a foul. I don’t think the contact was excessive. 

It was from behind. It doesn't need to be excessive to cause injury as there is nothing to protect against impact. 

Think about a shoulder barge. Nothing wrong with it? You have to be in possession of the ball to use it. If you barge a player off the ball it will be given as a foul. If you barge someone away from the ball, it won't be given as a foul. 

Contact from behind should be a foul. Contact from infront should not be, unless excessive. 

Guest Pistonbroke

Mane made the mistake of over exaggerating the contact and it gave the referee the chance to view it as a dive, because it was too a certain extent, not the contact but the fact he threw himself into the fall instead of falling naturally, but it was a foul and should have ended in a penalty. Var only took two looks at it and from the same angle. They couldn't wait to make their mind up as quick as possible. Mane is probably a marked man for the time being, what with the Bald cunt commenting on it and the way Moss/Var handled things. Obvious to me that something has been said about it before the game purely because Mane was the player involved for our last two penalties and it has pissed off the usual suspects. 

Guest Pistonbroke

I also agree with Motor, when you are clipped from behind and are running at speed it puts you off your stride, hence why Mane exaggerated the contact as he was trying to make things aware to the referee, he just went a bit OTT in doing so. At the end of the day it was contact from behind and a foul. 

5 minutes ago, No2 said:

Man City's winning goal didn't appear to get the 3 minute VAR treatment. I

only seen MOTD but on first viewing Angelino looked as offside as Bobby.

So he was onside? 

Yesterday I generally didn't have an issue with the decision.

It was tight, but I presumed the var thing was trustworthy. 

But I've just seen a clip from goals on Sunday with Kris Camara where he calls out Atkinson for cheating and manipulating the lines to not give the goal. Even that little red line was clearly not straight. Which I never noticed yesterday if im honest. 

Shouldn't the club campaign to have that decision looked into, especially at who made the decision to. 

3 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

But I've just seen a clip from goals on Sunday with Kris Camara where he calls out Atkinson for cheating and manipulating the lines to not give the goal. Even that little red line was clearly not straight. Which I never noticed yesterday if im honest. 

Shouldn't the club campaign to have that decision looked into, especially at who made the decision to. 

Never going to happen, those bastards are above the law. Shit would have hit the fan if we drew or lost yesterday. 

58 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

I made a point earlier in this thread when people were saying offside was "black & white" and I said it's not, it's completely dependent on a cunt with an etcha sketch. It's completely subjective and often taken from an angle that is worse than the lino (although to be fair the lino did actually give offside). There was no doubt Atkinson was trying to ensure it was offside, because he just kept drawing the line at different angles until it was offside. I would imagine that is more that he wants to back up the lino than punish us, but he seems to give us absolutely fuck all all the time. 

• Upvote 1