You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

VAR shit show 19/20

Davelfc

They think they're re protecting refs by not overruling them but it's the opposite.  Everyone knows that refs make mistakes and if they're overruled then fair enough. But doubling down on mistakes makes them look both incompetent and protected by a corrupt system. 

• Upvote 2

The Premier League have been canny. VAR could have come along and shown them up.

Imagine every game, a refs decision is overturned. sometimes many times.

How embarrassing it would be for refs to be exposed as inept.

So, instead of using it to spot where rules have been broken, they make it so it only reverses "a clear and obvious error".

Lo and behold, the new system hardly ever shows a clear and obvious error.

YAY!! Refs were great all along. See, the telly thing proves it!!

• Upvote 1

They need to be open that VAR is used only to check offsides or whether the ball has hit someone's hand on a goal and stop fucking about with it outside of those things.

I don't recall there being one single decision on anything else all season so what's the point in delaying the game for no reason at all?

4 minutes ago, Turkish Delight said:

They need to be open that VAR is used only to check offsides or whether the ball has hit someone's hand on a goal and stop fucking about with it outside of those things.

I don't recall there being one single decision on anything else all season so what's the point in delaying the game for no reason at all?

That's pretty much it, isn't it... I said a few weeks ago that it seems to me that for a penalty decision to be given/not given against the ref's call, it'll have to be something like when a free kick is given but the foul was actually in the box - something that's completely black and white. Or perhaps a very obvious deliberate handball that the ref has missed; like a shot that's going in and a player stops it with his hand but the ref misses it altogether. Or a clear off-the-ball incident that the ref has missed that leads to a red card. 

There pretty much isn't any VAR for anything else and it's just riling people and leading to unnecessary confusion and controversy. 

1 hour ago, Colt Seavers said:

This.

Under the law the Mane goal should have been disallowed do VAR was right on that, it is the rule that is long.

You could potentially get a situation where the ball bounces off a defenders arm inadvertently onto an attackers arm who is a yard away, the attacking team scores but the goal is disallowed for handball.

The first one was bullshit and noone can convince me that wasn't a foul, if VAR ain't overturning that then there is no point in it.

I don't think the first one was a foul. Origi was going down as soon as his first touch was shite. The 'handball' law is now a farce.

• Upvote 1

Klopp in the post-game pinpointed the problem perfectly.

The issue is not VAR - of course a referee with a second and third angle, and slow-motion, will get more calls correct that one without it and will be more consistent across different decisions.

And I'm not even sure that the problem is the "clear and obvious" metric. Obviously that introduces some subjectivity but I don't have a big problem if we only use VAR on fairly rare occasions where the referee has made an unquestionably huge error.

The problem, as Jurgen noted, is that the existence of VAR affects the way the game is refereed in terms of the live refereeing. We've already seen it with the offside calls - balls that used to be just flagged by the assistant, leading to a free kick for the defending team, are now being allowed to play on with the logic that "in case they score we can always check it later." Which, of course, leads to things like corner kicks that should have never happened, and the like.

This is magnified many times over when it comes to open-play decisions like the one we had today. Klopp's point was that if Atkinson is a competent referee he would have called the foul on Origi today. He didn't, because he's thinking "it might be a dive, couldn't tell for sure, so I'll let it go and VAR can fix it later." This, combined with the weird interpretation of "clear and obvious" which has led to 0 calls being overturned, leads to bad decisions, worse than you'd actually have without VAR at all.

Now, I'm not sure I agree with Klopp on this particular call - Atkinson is so incompetent that I think it's entirely possible that he wouldn't have called that foul even if VAR didn't exist - but the point is valid. Referees are letting things go that they would normally call - this seems clear. In the back of their minds they know that VAR will look again and then fix it when they make mistakes. But then the implementation of VAR has been such that they refuse to contradict a referee's initial call, even when it was made with him leaning towards letting play continue rather than calling it as he sees it, because of VAR.

All in all, it's led to a situation where infractions aren't being called properly. I expect it to be fixed over the next year or two (and then we'll find something else to moan about) but it's going to be very frustrating in the meantime.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, KMD7 said:

So getting kicked in the back of the leg isn't a foul now? Cool.  

He'd lost control of the ball and was already going down. That was my opinion in real time and I am sticking to it. VAR is shite,but so were we on the day and we are fortunate to take a point from it.

On a brighter note,I stuck a fiver free bet at 6/1 on United to win just before they scored(hoping for some reverse psychology!) but it turned out I'd actually backed them to be winning at half time so won £30. Small comfort from another miserable OT performance.

Just now, VladimirIlyich said:

He'd lost control of the ball and was already going down. That was my opinion in real time and I am sticking to it. VAR is shite,but so were we on the day and we are fortunate to take a point from it.

On a brighter note,I stuck a fiver free bet at 6/1 on United to win just before they scored(hoping for some reverse psychology!) but it turned out I'd actually backed them to be winning at half time so won £30. Small comfort from another miserable OT performance.

I'll be honest Vlad, I thought it was a foul in real time and even more so in replay. So what if he made the most of it? It's a late tackle and was a foul imo. I've seen pens given for less contact.