You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

VAR shit show 19/20

Davelfc

12 hours ago, sir roger said:

Don't get this Barry , why would you not use any technology you had available ? Your method would make it even more of a shitfest from week to week.

because it's not technology drawing the lines. it's just some fella in a room and sometimes he can't freeze the frame when the ball is kicked because the camera's used are not of suffiicient quality (they're not the same as say for instance is used in cricket).  Then the fella can draws the lines and can get that wrong too. Technology is not helping in my opinion.

What problem is it trying to solve? Think what offside is for. Why should Son be offside on Saturday at that close? We have had a rule that has required a lino to look in 2 places at the same time for as long as I've known the offside law, it doesn't need technology at all imo, the lino's are pretty good. Now they're told to keep their flag down on close calls and let's see what VAR makes of it. Then we have this idea of clear and obvious for some calls, but not offside, why the inconsistency? What are we trying to achieve by freeze framing when the ball may or may not have been kicked, then let some fella do his etcha sketch, then rule out goals on the back of it? If that makes sense, I want to be mad. 

If it was down to me I would fuck all VAR off and keep just goal line technology. But it's here to stay because TV wants it. So let's not do stupid shit with it. 

VAR is providing an opportunity to review a dubious decision. It isnt VAR's fault that Mike fucking Riley of the PGMOL, doesnt like his refs fully embracing it.

It also isnt VAR's fault that the VAR 'referee' isnt always calling the right decision. Again, that's Riley's issue, at least in the PL.

I havent seen VAR 'give' an incorrect decision but have seen VAR 'referees' take too fucking long to make a decision and sometimes, not give a decision that looks as clear as day to me when I see it.

It's the officials who need to change, not VAR.

Guest Pistonbroke

I think most people think the concept of VAR is good, but if you have incompetent officials in charge of it then we are in for a lot of controversy this season. As far as Chelsea's offside goal goes, it was offside, so the correct decision. I'm sure at some point this season we'll get pay back when Taylor or Friend are called upon to make a decision whilst sat in the VAR bunker. We've already been done in the league with the penalty on Matip and in the CL with the dive. It just gives the media and the pundits who don't like us something to talk about, as they'd rather have a pop at VAR than discuss the fact we went to Stamford Bridge and went away with 3 points. 

2 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

VAR is providing an opportunity to review a dubious decision. It isnt VAR's fault that Mike fucking Riley of the PGMOL, doesnt like his refs fully embracing it.

It also isnt VAR's fault that the VAR 'referee' isnt always calling the right decision. Again, that's Riley's issue, at least in the PL.

I havent seen VAR 'give' an incorrect decision but have seen VAR 'referees' take too fucking long to make a decision and sometimes, not give a decision that looks as clear as day to me when I see it.

It's the officials who need to change, not VAR.

Mike Riley isn't to blame on what has happened in europe. we've played 2 matches this season, both with shocking pen decisions against us and then VAR has doubled down on them. 

Surely we have to accept  refs make mistakes, if they don't make mistakes we don't need VAR. VAR is there to clear it up when the ref gets it wrong. They don't, because they choose to double down on the 1st bad decision. unless it's offiside. Then they rely on a bellend with an etcha sketch to get it right. It's fucking pathetic and not the issue of the PL. Every country is moaning about it. it's failing in european competition. as the title of this thread says, it's a shit show. 

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, aws said:

If we have to have VAT then it would be better if the ref decided whether he wanted to have another look at an incident before making a decision. At the moment it's just being used as a way to double-down on bad calls. 

It's the Chancellor and the Treasury's call really.

• Upvote 2

VAR has directly affected our game only once, yesterday with the cancellation of Chelsea's goal. The ref was never going to disallow that goal himself. So we are 1-0 up on VAR so far and two points better off as a result. (although there's no guarantee the game would have finished 2-2 if their first goal had been allowed to stand as football doesn't work that way) 

Yes the blue mancs lost points due to a VAR decision that would also not have been given. I don't keep up on their games so I am not aware of any other decisions in their games that have benefitted them. 

As many have already pointed out, VAR we thought would solve the problems in the game. All it's done so far is to make more problems and leave the original ones there. For match going fans it's even worse. The mass celebrations outpouring of emotion and then the two minute wait to see a goal chalked off is gutting I bet, they're killing the game to make a load of incompetent pricks seem competent. 

1 hour ago, Barry Wom said:

Mike Riley isn't to blame on what has happened in europe. we've played 2 matches this season, both with shocking pen decisions against us and then VAR has doubled down on them. 

Surely we have to accept  refs make mistakes, if they don't make mistakes we don't need VAR. VAR is there to clear it up when the ref gets it wrong. They don't, because they choose to double down on the 1st bad decision. unless it's offiside. Then they rely on a bellend with an etcha sketch to get it right. It's fucking pathetic and not the issue of the PL. Every country is moaning about it. it's failing in european competition. as the title of this thread says, it's a shit show. 

More technology issues... I should be able to rep that multiple times and can’t. Spot on Bazza.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

With VAR the table is Liverpool 24 points, City 16 points; without it, it would be Liverpool 22 points, City 18 points.

How do you have us on 22 points without VAR?

only one I can think of is the Chelsea goal, but that was still the first half. Absolutely no way to relate that to points won or lost.

33 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

How do you have us on 22 points without VAR?

only one I can think of is the Chelsea goal, but that was still the first half. Absolutely no way to relate that to points won or lost.

Chelsea is exactly what I'm thinking of. It would have been 1-1, instead it was 2-0 to us about 2 minutes later. Given our second half performance, do you see us picking up 3 points if we go in 1-1 at half-time rather than 2-0? I don't.

4 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Chelsea is exactly what I'm thinking of. It would have been 1-1, instead it was 2-0 to us about 2 minutes later. Given our second half performance, do you see us picking up 3 points if we go in 1-1 at half-time rather than 2-0? I don't.

Maybe, maybe not. But I think it’s a stretch to say VAR gives us 2 points there.

its not worth arguing either way, I just wanted to check I hadn’t forget something else you were meaning

42 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

Maybe, maybe not. But I think it’s a stretch to say VAR gives us 2 points there.

its not worth arguing either way, I just wanted to check I hadn’t forget something else you were meaning

Right. I mean, predicting what would have happened is always going to involve some element of guesswork. For instance, who is to say that if that disallowed City goal had been given, that Spurs wouldn't have gone up the other end and scored themselves. It's definitely not a perfect science. But what we can say is that VAR worked considerably in our favour against Chelsea, and also when City played Spurs.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Right. I mean, predicting what would have happened is always going to involve some element of guesswork. For instance, who is to say that if that disallowed City goal had been given, that Spurs wouldn't have gone up the other end and scored themselves. It's definitely not a perfect science. But what we can say is that VAR worked considerably in our favour against Chelsea, and also when City played Spurs.

Just shut up Piers. 

• Upvote 2