You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

VAR shit show 19/20

Davelfc

I remain of the belief that it’s a good thing with less than stellar implementation in the PL. Yes, it’s laborious and finicky at present, but for me it’s a minor problem compared to some of the officiating howlers that would have slipped through the cracks otherwise. The idea of having one on field referee and a solitary linesman huffing and puffing up and down each side of the pitch is a nonsense given the speed of the game and the fine margins that exist within it.

VAR improved elsewhere after a rocky start; the next question is whether Riley and co take that on board and streamline the process, or insist they’re right and other leagues are wrong.

On 23/01/2020 at 12:36, dockers_strike said:

Well if you was in the ground (which I do not doubt) you were pretty much on your own not celebrating because everywhere I could see, people were falling over themselves celebrating.

I was celebrating like fuck but I said to the lads next to me, united will moan like fuck about it which they did. The reality is it's the same as Gini's goal which was ruled offside by the lino. You celebrate the goal if you dont spot the infringement.

The plain fact is you havent been legally able to challenge a keeper for a ball in the air for years. You cannot even stand near them while they take a drop kick. Shmichel used to get free kicks for far less than what Virgil did against de gea.

But I agree, people have lost and are losing faith in VAR. And that's down to Riley and his PGMOL. Amongst all the shit Rileyhas managed to stir up, he could have aleviated the vast majority of it by a simple approach, one in part he hasnt stuck to.

All VAR had to do was notify the ref if it spotted a clear error or foul the ref didnt. The VAR tells the ref what they think he's missed and go look for himself on the pitchside monitor. The ref stays the final arbiter.

I admit some people will never accept VAR. It needs revision.

I would say about half the people near me celebrated, half shrugged and looked at the scoreboard. 

On 24/01/2020 at 09:05, TheDrowningMan said:

I remain of the belief that it’s a good thing with less than stellar implementation in the PL. Yes, it’s laborious and finicky at present, but for me it’s a minor problem compared to some of the officiating howlers that would have slipped through the cracks otherwise. The idea of having one on field referee and a solitary linesman huffing and puffing up and down each side of the pitch is a nonsense given the speed of the game and the fine margins that exist within it.

VAR improved elsewhere after a rocky start; the next question is whether Riley and co take that on board and streamline the process, or insist they’re right and other leagues are wrong.

Is it better in other leagues? I was pretty sure I read something the other day which said Germany is in its 3rd season and it's still shit and nobody likes it. 

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Grinch said:

Yea, was great not having it yesterday.   Result of the game, completely changed. 

Quite something, wasn’t it? Referee huffing and puffing, trying and failing to keep up with the game. 

I wonder how much incompetence over the years has been down to the archaic persistence with having one on-field ref with a pair of linesmen each given an entire side of the pitch to themselves? I’m a proponent of VAR because of the unacceptable number of clear and obvious errors that having been occurring for decades at the highest levels of the game.

Unless they want to trial alternative potential solutions at different levels of the game - maybe additional linesmen, each given a smaller area of the pitch to cover so their focus isn’t all over the place as they try to keep up with play, spot infractions and correctly judge whether or not someone is onside, and a ref for each half of the pitch - I’m pleased we’ve gotten something that expunges some of the more egregious mistakes our professional officials are liable to make.

9 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

Quite something, wasn’t it? Referee huffing and puffing, trying and failing to keep up with the game. 

I wonder how much incompetence over the years has been down to the archaic persistence with having one on-field ref with a pair of linesmen each given an entire side of the pitch to themselves? I’m a proponent of VAR because of the unacceptable number of clear and obvious errors that having been occurring for decades at the highest levels of the game.

Unless they want to trial other solutions at different levels of the game - maybe additional linesmen, each given a smaller area of the pitch to cover so their focus isn’t all over the place as they try to keep up with play, spot infractions and correctly judge whether or not someone is onside, and a ref for each half of the pitch - I’m pleased we’ve gotten something that expunges some of the more egregious mistakes our professional officials are liable to make.

Id be more interested to know the number of refs who looked at their game's highlights afterwards and thought 'fucking hell, I dropped a right bollock there!'

The ref who took our game was a late change when Marriner phoned in sick apparently.

39 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Both basketball and hockey (which, at the top level, is played on ice) use a multiple ref system. They have far less ground to cover and less lads milling around.

In fact, the gridiron and beisbol have a shit ton of officials as well. Hell, I think tennis probably has more.

WTF??

Apart from all being shit US sports,what do they have to do with football?

20 hours ago, TheDrowningMan said:

Unless they want to trial alternative potential solutions at different levels of the game - maybe additional linesmen, each given a smaller area of the pitch to cover so their focus isn’t all over the place as they try to keep up with play, spot infractions and correctly judge whether or not someone is onside, and a ref for each half of the pitch - I’m pleased we’ve gotten something that expunges some of the more egregious mistakes our professional officials are liable to make.

The thing here is if you think getting better decisions is more important than having the raw emotion in the game. For me, I can live with the bad refereeing if the alternative is VAR - it either gives us bad refereeing twice on subjective decisions and for offside gives us a technical black and white division which is technically flawed and does not consider its own margin of error. All this whilst making every time the ball hits the net just a prelude to a goal being given 30 seconds or more later. 

I'm all in favour of trying more officials, but they have to have more influence on the game than those fucking bellends we used to have in Europe who stood behind the goal with sticks... Still not quite sure what the sticks were for. I'm not against VAR being used for red cards (I've no issue if the game runs for a minute or two before the ref handing out the red, it's better than the player getting the rest of the 90). I've no issue if the ref thinks he has seen something he's not sure about for a goal... Carry a button that immediately flags on the scoreboard he thinks a goal needs a review, so if the ball hits the net, at least you're aware at the time there may be an infringement (a little like how the linesman's flag has always worked well), then get the 4th official to watch it on a pitch side monitor to review. What I'm 100% against is the rerunning of every single goal with the intent of finding a way to rule it out. It's ruining football for me and I don't believe I'm the only one. This should be the greatest season ever and I'm enjoying motd more than being at the match. Fuck knows what var is like if you don't support the best team ever. It's fucking shite. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Barry Wom said:

The thing here is if you think getting better decisions is more important than having the raw emotion in the game. For me, I can live with the bad refereeing if the alternative is VAR - it either gives us bad refereeing twice on subjective decisions and for offside gives us a technical black and white division which is technically flawed and does not consider its own margin of error. All this whilst making every time the ball hits the net just a prelude to a goal being given 30 seconds or more later. 

I'm all in favour of trying more officials, but they have to have more influence on the game than those fucking bellends we used to have in Europe who stood behind the goal with sticks... Still not quite sure what the sticks were for. I'm not against VAR being used for red cards (I've no issue if the game runs for a minute or two before the ref handing out the red, it's better than the player getting the rest of the 90). I've no issue if the ref thinks he has seen something he's not sure about for a goal... Carry a button that immediately flags on the scoreboard he thinks a goal needs a review, so if the ball hits the net, at least you're aware at the time there may be an infringement (a little like how the linesman's flag has always worked well), then get the 4th official to watch it on a pitch side monitor to review. What I'm 100% against is the rerunning of every single goal with the intent of finding a way to rule it out. It's ruining football for me and I don't believe I'm the only one. This should be the greatest season ever and I'm enjoying motd more than being at the match. Fuck knows what var is like if you don't support the best team ever. It's fucking shite. 

Those officials behind the goal where essentially extra referees.  Their sticks had buzzer to communicate with the ref and they also were miced up to explain what they saw. It was a myth perpetuated by co-commentators that they done nothing. I'd much rather them than VAR, if a defender or striker has gotten away with something with 3 pairs of eyes with 20 yards of them then that needs celebrating. There is a place in the game for shithousery done well. 

11 minutes ago, No2 said:

Those officials behind the goal where essentially extra referees.  Their sticks had buzzer to communicate with the ref and they also were miced up to explain what they saw. It was a myth perpetuated by co-commentators that they done nothing. I'd much rather them than VAR, if a defender or striker has gotten away with something with 3 pairs of eyes with 20 yards of them then that needs celebrating. There is a place in the game for shithousery done well. 

I never saw those fellas having much impact, but I hope you are right and something can be learnt from it. As for your last 2 sentences, I completely agree. I know it's not the English way to think like that, but large parts of the world celebrate it, especially in South America. It's a world game, not just a British one. I have always found it strange the old fashioned idea that you could bang into a tackle deliberately trying to hurt someone and as long as you got the ball, it was commendable. But if you try and trick the ref in anyway, that was somehow breaking the spirit of the game. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, mgw100 said:

That's a great post Barry. Agree with all of it. I would add that I can see value in VAR verifying penalty decisions. This could reduce diving significantly and shouldn't impact too much on the the game and atmosphere

Yep, no issues with that. I've no issues with technology being used on goals, but one of the officials needs to flag his concern before the goal is scored. If we need more officials to get that right, that's fine. Or let the 4th official play a part too. In fact come to that, stockley park could still exist, but they need to mark their concern before it's a goal. Take that wolves goal that was ruled out at anfield for offside. I'd have absolutely no issue if that's allowed because nobody thought there was an offside there, including the 4 officials at the ground and a bod watching on TV. It would be alright to rule it out for the celebration. Equally the other way, our goal that was later approved by var, instead of the gobshite ref blowing his whistle, he just presses his buzzer he thinks there was a handball, we score and then it's reviewed.