You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

VAR shit show 19/20

Davelfc

7 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

It was absolutely nailed on that firmino goal would be ruled out. I didn't get excited for one moment. Which is mad, because it was never a foul. 

Same here. But if that challenge is a foul then there are two fouls every time two players compete for the ball in the air. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Barry Wom said:

It was absolutely nailed on that firmino goal would be ruled out. I didn't get excited for one moment. Which is mad, because it was never a foul. 

I was the same, not for a second did I think it would stand. It probably wasn't a foul but 99 times out 100 it is given as a foul so it's probably a foul.

Well in the ground we did all get excited. And over the seasons we've had similar goals against us allowed to stand. Away at west ham when carroll smashed mig and the ref said 'I think he dropped it'! First game of the season a couple of years ago, Watfords last minute equaliser when mig again is charged.

Virgil's reaction at the time summed it up, when de gea is on the deck whinging van Dijk is like 'wtf you moaning at man, I didnt touch you.'

Im absolutely OK with that goal being ruled out provided Alisson's or any of our other keeper's are going to get the same protection.

2 hours ago, Barry Wom said:

Exactly the same here. I said to my missus immediately that it won’t stand, even before they went to VAR.

and do you know what? I’m ok with that.

It wasn’t a foul. It definitely wasn’t a clear and obvious error. But those have been given as fouls for at least the last 10 years, if not longer, so it’s more surprising the ref didn’t blow straight away than the goal being overturned.

2 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Well in the ground we did all get excited. And over the seasons we've had similar goals against us allowed to stand. Away at west ham when carroll smashed mig and the ref said 'I think he dropped it'! First game of the season a couple of years ago, Watfords last minute equaliser when mig again is charged.

Virgil's reaction at the time summed it up, when de gea is on the deck whinging van Dijk is like 'wtf you moaning at man, I didnt touch you.'

Im absolutely OK with that goal being ruled out provided Alisson's or any of our other keeper's are going to get the same protection.

I was in the ground and wasn't celebrating. 

45 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

Exactly the same here. I said to my missus immediately that it won’t stand, even before they went to VAR.

and do you know what? I’m ok with that.

It wasn’t a foul. It definitely wasn’t a clear and obvious error. But those have been given as fouls for at least the last 10 years, if not longer, so it’s more surprising the ref didn’t blow straight away than the goal being overturned.

To be honest, I'm not alright about it. I didn't think they ruled it out because it's percieved as foul, I just knew they'd cry and the VAR would go with them no matter what as giving the free kick would seem less controversial than allowing the goal. It wasn't clear and obvious. But that'll be because it wasn't a foul. Are we saying vvd shouldn't be allowed to challenge for those types of ball? Because effectively that's what being alright with that is. Vvd couldn't have challenged less timidly and de gea dropped the ball because he was weak. If that is a free kick, we've made it so nobody is allowed to make a challenge any more. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Barry Wom said:

To be honest, I'm not alright about it. I didn't think they ruled it out because it's percieved as foul, I just knew they'd cry and the VAR would go with them no matter what as giving the free kick would seem less controversial than allowing the goal. It wasn't clear and obvious. But that'll be because it wasn't a foul. Are we saying vvd shouldn't be allowed to challenge for those types of ball? Because effectively that's what being alright with that is. Vvd couldn't have challenged less timidly and de gea dropped the ball because he was weak. If that is a free kick, we've made it so nobody is allowed to make a challenge any more. 

First bolded bit... I think he should be allowed to, but would need to win the header to expect to not get a foul given.

second bolded but... that ship sailed long ago, which is why I’m ok with it going as it did.

i don’t like how soft some elements of the game have become, but there’s no going back so I accept it. I handle these ones far better than I handle the defender that dives under pressure and wins a soft free kick that wouldn’t have gone the other way, but I also know that’s the way of things most of the time now too.

i think you know that’s the case too, as you - like me - didn’t celebrate.

where VAR muddies things here is that without it, the goal goes into the anomaly category of “you don’t get those not given very often these days”, but VAR by all definitions shouldn’t have overruled the ref, but as a result ends up giving the decisions that most refs would give, most of the time.

Virg wasn’t far off winning the header. If he does, I don’t think it would’ve been overturned, but as soon as he didn’t I expected a whistle and if the whistle had come, nobody would have made too much fuss. A bit like when the defender dives under pressure to win a soft free kick. Especially as the ball would never have been blocked by Sadio, would never have fallen to Bobby, and ergo would never have flown into the corner of the net.

2 hours ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

First bolded bit... I think he should be allowed to, but would need to win the header to expect to not get a foul given.

second bolded but... that ship sailed long ago, which is why I’m ok with it going as it did.

i don’t like how soft some elements of the game have become, but there’s no going back so I accept it. I handle these ones far better than I handle the defender that dives under pressure and wins a soft free kick that wouldn’t have gone the other way, but I also know that’s the way of things most of the time now too.

i think you know that’s the case too, as you - like me - didn’t celebrate.

where VAR muddies things here is that without it, the goal goes into the anomaly category of “you don’t get those not given very often these days”, but VAR by all definitions shouldn’t have overruled the ref, but as a result ends up giving the decisions that most refs would give, most of the time.

Virg wasn’t far off winning the header. If he does, I don’t think it would’ve been overturned, but as soon as he didn’t I expected a whistle and if the whistle had come, nobody would have made too much fuss. A bit like when the defender dives under pressure to win a soft free kick. Especially as the ball would never have been blocked by Sadio, would never have fallen to Bobby, and ergo would never have flown into the corner of the net.

I don't think football is a non contact sport, which is pretty much what you're saying. You can challenge for the ball, if you can't, every single corner is either a pen or a free kick, because someone will head it and someone will make contact with someone without heading it. You don't need to win anything, you're allowed to make it hard for people. And that's all vvd did. I think the ref on the pitch called it dead right. The var ref chose the path that he thought might be more quickly forgotten about. 

To me there were two elements , I think the ref didn't make a decision as he assumed the United defender had loads of time to hoof the ball clear, and shit himself when the ball ended up in the net. VAR-wise , they got slaughtered for the DCL challenge on DeGea a few weeks back & were always going to chalk it off. In these days of goalkeepers being over-protected I never got too uptight about it , not like Bobby's armpit offside for instance.

20 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

I don't think football is a non contact sport, which is pretty much what you're saying. You can challenge for the ball, if you can't, every single corner is either a pen or a free kick, because someone will head it and someone will make contact with someone without heading it. You don't need to win anything, you're allowed to make it hard for people. And that's all vvd did. I think the ref on the pitch called it dead right. The var ref chose the path that he thought might be more quickly forgotten about. 

I totally agree with you on all of that, except for that keepers have been getting those decisions for years, even with minimal contact.

its only keepers afforded the luxury, like its only keepers that are allowed for challenge for a ball with their studs or knees directed towards a players chest. But that’s that.

Where you’re absolutely dead right is the path of least controversy though. No doubt at all.

6 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

I totally agree with you on all of that, except for that keepers have been getting those decisions for years, even with minimal contact.

its only keepers afforded the luxury, like its only keepers that are allowed for challenge for a ball with their studs or knees directed towards a players chest. But that’s that.

Where you’re absolutely dead right is the path of least controversy though. No doubt at all.

I know goalies get away with a bit, but I think normally there's more in it than that one yesterday. I'd say it looked a worse call on telly than it did in the ground. 

On 21/01/2020 at 01:11, dockers_strike said:

We had a goal scored against us by a fucking beach ball allowed to stand.

I think it's fair to say our achievements have happened in the face of massive adversity from the forces of officialdom. 

On 21/01/2020 at 06:01, Barry Wom said:

I know goalies get away with a bit, but I think normally there's more in it than that one yesterday. I'd say it looked a worse call on telly than it did in the ground. 

On telly - with the benefit of several replays - it looked much more like de Gea failing to deal with mild and minimal (almost token) opposition.

The more you looked at it on telly, the more you would be convinced it was NOT a clear and obvious error from the ref to allow it.

If anything, on replayed angles, it increasingly looked like VvD wasn't so much seriously challenging, but rather making a bit of a nuisance of himself (eyes on ball, arms by side) in a phase of play that was for all intents and purposes over.

It was a howling error by VAR, in terms of VAR's remit - it protected complacent, unconvincing, non-committal and flappy goalkeeping (see: Pickford, Anfield, 2018)... rather than correcting a glaring officiating mistake.

And de Gea proved the point in injury time with his balsa wood effort to keep Mo out.

• Like 1

On 20/01/2020 at 14:23, Barry Wom said:

Well if you was in the ground (which I do not doubt) you were pretty much on your own not celebrating because everywhere I could see, people were falling over themselves celebrating.

I was celebrating like fuck but I said to the lads next to me, united will moan like fuck about it which they did. The reality is it's the same as Gini's goal which was ruled offside by the lino. You celebrate the goal if you dont spot the infringement.

The plain fact is you havent been legally able to challenge a keeper for a ball in the air for years. You cannot even stand near them while they take a drop kick. Shmichel used to get free kicks for far less than what Virgil did against de gea.

But I agree, people have lost and are losing faith in VAR. And that's down to Riley and his PGMOL. Amongst all the shit Rileyhas managed to stir up, he could have aleviated the vast majority of it by a simple approach, one in part he hasnt stuck to.

All VAR had to do was notify the ref if it spotted a clear error or foul the ref didnt. The VAR tells the ref what they think he's missed and go look for himself on the pitchside monitor. The ref stays the final arbiter.

I admit some people will never accept VAR. It needs revision.

Why the fuck where they checking for a handball after Henderson's goal last night?

It's actually getting worse if that was possible.

Should just be scrapped immediately to save any further embarrassment, it's been a disaster.

• Upvote 2