You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

VAR shit show 19/20

Davelfc

22 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Just an idea; football isn't some mystical game which provides more emotion than another. I have enough live sport viewership experience to know that people who use the "video replay is killing the emotion of the game because you can't celebrate" argument are very weird people. That's not how regular people react to something good happening to their favourite team.

Pot. Kettle. (and excuse the white supremacy pun) Black.

34 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

No they don't. Baseball is the slowest, most stop-start and least dynamic sport you'll find and there's almost nothing more emotionally charged than an important 3-2 pitch in an important game. Every sport has massive, tense moments, no matter the pace. 

But that's not the point. Whether VAR disrupts the pace of the game is a different argument. The point is, people at a game aren't rational enough to not celebrate something in a split second moment because there's a fucking video replay system. That's just not how it works. These people making that argument are not living in the real world. 

I said a few posts earlier that I didn’t properly celebrate ginis goal against Everton. I was on the kop. It happened right in front of me.

you, from your sofa, are telling me that couldn’t have happened?

righto.

2 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

I said a few posts earlier that I didn’t properly celebrate ginis goal against Everton. I was on the kop. It happened right in front of me.

you, from your sofa, are telling me that couldn’t have happened?

righto.

Yes.

But seriously, you're already a cynic when it comes to VAR. I don't imagine that helps. Lighten up, will you? Let your emotions go. 

4 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

I said top level

Spot on. That was amateur, people forget.

The 2010 gold medal game victory for Canada is the best sports moment of my life. What a rollercoaster of emotions that final was. On home soil too. Brings a tear to my eye to this day thinking about it. 

24 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Just an idea; football isn't some mystical game which provides more emotion than another. I have enough live sport viewership experience to know that people who use the "video replay is killing the emotion of the game because you can't celebrate" argument are very weird people. That's not how regular people react to something good happening to their favourite team.

But there's no debating this with you anyway. You'd think people who are the least bit reasonable and positive about the future of VAR are comparable to people promoting white supremacy, the way you react to it. 

Regular people that regularly go to the match see things happen and know that it’s not irregular that goals get disallowed - even before/without VAR.

a goal gets scored when the Lino has flagged for a tightish offside, half the crowd cheer because they haven’t seen a flag, half the crowd don’t because they have.

now, there’s also an element of thinking a goal might be ruled out, for an offside that hasn’t been flagged, for an inadvertent handball, for a push, whatever, without the flag.

its possible to see something and have doubt appear. Just because your team scores a goal doesn’t mean you lose all inhibitions and can’t commit stuff anymore.

i was one of very few people not really celebrating that last goal, because a) I was wrong and it wasn’t offside, and b) because I’m a more naturally pessimistic fan, but I still reacted that way.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Yes.

But seriously, you're already a cynic when it comes to VAR. I don't imagine that helps. Lighten up, will you? Let your emotions go. 

No. I like having my enjoyment spoiled and I won’t stop having it spoiled just to make you happy.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dave u said:

There's been loads of goals I haven't celebrated this year because of the looming threat of VAR. Most recent was Salah against Sheffield United because from where I was sat I thought the ball bounced up and hit Robbo's hand.

What would you know, you match going beaut.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

What's your point? Not Liverpool, but I've been to a very important game for a team I support in a sport where there is a video replay system.

I know the feeling you get when something good happens and the first thing that pops into your head isn't: "oh gee wait a minute there's this replay system that may or may not fuck my team over here so I better not celebrate too much". It's complete rubbish. The worst argument against VAR by far. 

Maybe you should try and go to a football game then and perhaps you'll understand. Unless you've experienced it, you should maybe hold back on criticisng others about how they will and won't react and enjoy the moment. I've been going to football for 45 years, I can absolutely assure you var has changed how I am celebrating goals. As someone pointed out (mook?) Scoring is becoming akin to getting a pen now. 

19 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

No they don't. Baseball is the slowest, most stop-start and least dynamic sport you'll find and there's almost nothing more emotionally charged than an important 3-2 pitch in an important game. Every sport has massive, tense moments, no matter the pace. 

But that's not the point. Whether VAR disrupts the pace of the game is a different argument. The point is, people at a game aren't rational enough to not celebrate something in a split second moment because there's a fucking video replay system. That's just not how it works. These people making that argument are not living in the real world. 

I've been to plenty of US sports, baseball included. I'm yet to go to one that gets to 50% of the emotion of a football game. I've watched baseball in NY, Chicago and Toronto. It's not close to football in anyway at all in terms of emotion. The same is true of cricket, but I can still say when England won the world cup this year it was an incredible sporting moment. But cricket doesn't compare to football either. 

18 hours ago, dave u said:

There's been loads of goals I haven't celebrated this year because of the looming threat of VAR. Most recent was Salah against Sheffield United because from where I was sat I thought the ball bounced up and hit Robbo's hand.

Spot on mate. It's deffo spoiling it for me. Next we'll be getting told it's just as much fun to celebrate the goal once var gives the goal and the moment is gone. Anyone who claims it's not taking the emotion out of the game has clearly never experienced the game. I know nothing about this 3 stacks fella, but that aspect of his life was easy to guess with that one post. 

• Upvote 6

Although the "foul" on de gea was soft. In all honesty we'd have been crying if it was the other way round. And the only reason that little Manc weasel said it wasn't a foul was because the goal was chalked off. If that was given, that little shit Neville would have been crying like a 4 year old after dropping a lolly. 

2 hours ago, Mook said:

Great to see Alex Ferguson & Howard Webb keeping themselves busy with part time jobs in the VAR box yesterday.

To be fair, even the complete abomination that is VAR couldn't ruin that result, despite all its efforts.

It was absolutely nailed on that firmino goal would be ruled out. I didn't get excited for one moment. Which is mad, because it was never a foul. 

• Upvote 1