You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

VAR shit show 19/20

Davelfc

The issue for me is still one of communication. The referee has to try to relate what they think they've seen to the VAR, who then has to interpret that subjective verbal information and apply it to the visual replay. There's a chasm of ambiguity in any description, such as "I saw contact, but not enough for him to go down", which leads to the indecision and subsequent delays.

A ref jogging over to a screen for 30 seconds would be quicker (well, maybe not Jon Moss). 

If you can't make a decision in 30 seconds, then it's not an obvious error, so the on-field ruling should stand.

49 minutes ago, index1000 said:

Because he/she disagrees with you? Fucking hell .

Hypothetical questions like that are infantile regardless of the context or whether or not I agree with the person who asked.

We can't exchange a Liverpool defeat for the scrapping of VAR so it's a fucking stupid question, one I would expect from a child.

For the record, the issue with VAR is not to do with a specific decision going our way or not, nothing to do with us winning the league & nothing to do with how many goals are being scored.

It's a fundemental change to the way that we, as supporters watch & enjoy the game. They are fucking killing it for the benefit of TV.

6 minutes ago, Mook said:

Hypothetical questions like that are infantile regardless of the context or whether or not I agree with the person who asked.

We can't exchange a Liverpool defeat for the scrapping of VAR so it's a fucking stupid question, one I would expect from a child.

Shove it up your hoop mate. 

42 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

The issue for me is still one of communication. The referee has to try to relate what they think they've seen to the VAR, who then has to interpret that subjective verbal information and apply it to the visual replay. There's a chasm of ambiguity in any description, such as "I saw contact, but not enough for him to go down", which leads to the indecision and subsequent delays.

A ref jogging over to a screen for 30 seconds would be quicker (well, maybe not Jon Moss). 

If you can't make a decision in 30 seconds, then it's not an obvious error, so the on-field ruling should stand.

Why does the ref need to do that though? The VAR team are watching the match as well, if they've missed something it's not an obvious error. Fuck waiting for the ref to run over to a monitor to only back up his own decision, plus it's placing a lot of stock on a pitchside tv to be working and be visible. Trust the VAR team more and I feel that would be more easily earned by having a team rather than just one VAR dude. A team should not be debating anything just eliminating errors by going for a majority rule.

1 hour ago, JohnnyH said:

Well that's a pretty transparent effort to negate any discussion of the positive aspects and just lump them in with the bad and make it all bad. "You can have any colour you want as long as it's black" springs to mind.  If that's the kind of thread you want, then I'll leave it for people shaking their fists at clouds to pat themselves on the back.  I'll go and look at boobies on the GF.

the point I’m trying to make is that criticism of VAR includes criticism of the people using VAR.

otherwise it’s just hypothetical.

hypothetically, VAR could be a wonderful thing (even though I personally don’t want it, even in theory) but currently VAR is far from a wonderful thing and it’s impossible to distinguish how much of that is due to the way it is implemented and the people it is implemented by, because it’s the only version of it we have.

you could compare it to how it’s being delivered in other countries or internationally I suppose, but how many of us are actually in a position to do this.

23 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

I'll always be amazed that there are supporters out there with the super human sharpness of mind to decide in a split second they can't celebrate a goal in the moment because there is the possibility it could be overturned by VAR. Despite the fact that's not at all how emotional reactions work in human beings, I wish I had that mental capacity. 

Do you actually go the match? You sound like someone who's only seen the game on PlayStation or something. 

• Upvote 4

57 minutes ago, sir roger said:

I still think that VAR should have been implemented with its own team of technicians , and not the other half of the sadsacks on the PGMOL register.

This is exactly how it should have worked during its trial run. Instead we have asked for the works of Shakespeare to be rewritten by monkeys with pencils and yellow cards.

6 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

So no then. 

What's your point? Not Liverpool, but I've been to a very important game for a team I support in a sport where there is a video replay system.

I know the feeling you get when something good happens and the first thing that pops into your head isn't: "oh gee wait a minute there's this replay system that may or may not fuck my team over here so I better not celebrate too much". It's complete rubbish. The worst argument against VAR by far. 

23 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

What's your point? Not Liverpool, but I've been to a very important game for a team I support in a sport where there is a video replay system.

I know the feeling you get when something good happens and the first thing that pops into your head isn't: "oh gee wait a minute there's this replay system that may or may not fuck my team over here so I better not celebrate too much". It's complete rubbish. The worst argument against VAR by far. 

If its a North American sport then you are used to multiple stoppages,time outs,breaks and so on but Association Football is loved for the lack of these and its dynamism. VAR is a serious threat to this in its current implementation.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, VladimirIlyich said:

If its a North American sport then you are used to multiple stoppages,time outs,breaks and so on but Association Football is loved for the lack of these and its dynamism. VAR is a serious threat to this in its current implementation.

We're talking about emotion, not the flow of the game. 

14 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

They go hand in hand.

No they don't. Baseball is the slowest, most stop-start and least dynamic sport you'll find and there's almost nothing more emotionally charged than an important 3-2 pitch in an important game. Every sport has massive, tense moments, no matter the pace. 

But that's not the point. Whether VAR disrupts the pace of the game is a different argument. The point is, people at a game aren't rational enough to not celebrate something in a split second moment because there's a fucking video replay system. That's just not how it works. These people making that argument are not living in the real world. 

3 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

No they don't. Baseball is the slowest, most stop-start and least dynamic sport you'll find and there's almost nothing more emotionally charged than an important 3-2 pitch in an important game. Every sport has massive, tense moments, no matter the pace. 

But that's not the point. Whether VAR disrupts the pace of the game is a different argument. The point is, people at a game aren't rational enough to not celebrate something in a split second moment because there's a fucking video replay system. That's just not how it works. These people making that argument are not living in the real world. 

Rounders is shit. And apart from our owners has little comparison to football. If you are using it as a comparison then you need something much better to compare. I dont think anything compares to football and thats sort of the point.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Maybe you should try going to a few Liverpool games before you start lecturing people who have been going for years about how they should feel after a goal.

Just an idea.

2 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Rounders is shit. And apart from our owners has little comparison to football. If you are using it as a comparison then you need something much better to compare. I dont think anything compares to football and thats sort of the point.

Talk about missing the point. I didn't compare baseball to football, fucking hell. Just used it as an example why slow pace does not equal less emotion. 

I've been the baseball and the best thing all game was some fella dressed as a baseball shooting t-shirts out of a cannon into the crowd. 

I can imagine Ice Hockey is more similar to the footy out of all of them. Especially when they all start singing "quack, quack, quack...". Goosebumps just thinking about it. 

• Upvote 5

2 minutes ago, Mook said:

Maybe you should try going to a few Liverpool games before you start lecturing people who have been going for years about how they should feel after a goal.

Just an idea.

Just an idea; football isn't some mystical game which provides more emotion than another. I have enough live sport viewership experience to know that people who use the "video replay is killing the emotion of the game because you can't celebrate" argument are very weird people. That's not how regular people react to something good happening to their favourite team.

But there's no debating this with you anyway. You'd think people who are the least bit reasonable and positive about the future of VAR are comparable to people promoting white supremacy, the way you react to it. 

1 minute ago, 3 Stacks said:

Just an idea; football isn't some mystical game which provides more emotion than another. I have enough live sport viewership experience to know that people who use the "video replay is killing the emotion of the game because you can't celebrate" argument are very weird people. That's not how regular people react to something good happening to their favourite team.

But there's no debating this with you anyway. You'd think people who are the least bit reasonable and positive about the future of VAR are comparable to people promoting white supremacy, the way you react to it. 

Fuck off Hitler.

• Upvote 3