You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

VAR shit show 19/20

Davelfc

10 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

99.999% have been right?  You are off your rocker Johnny.  Even Mike Riley doesn't think that.

They check everything.  Every goal.  Every possible penalty.  There's tons going on in the background we never hear about that they get right.  The problem we've got ourselves into now is when VAR corrects what would have been a gross error (goal given when it shouldn't be, penalty given or not given, etc) all the people losing the plot over it stay silent.  Then there's a close call on an offside like the Wolves goal and they are out saying it's awful.  There's no acknowledgment of when it does good.  Like everything else these days, there's too much polarisation of opinion by people not wiling to look at things sensibly.  However, in the spirit of sensible debate I am willing to drop the last two "9's" from my 99.999%.

8 hours ago, coachpotato said:

It’s the excessive level of accuracy that I feel is causing VAR to be so controversial.
VAR brings everything down to tiny fractions where common sense or gut feelings don’t count.

We’ve never had the game dissected so much.

Yet the "excessive level of accuracy" is never debated on whether a ball has crossed the line or not? Its the same system with the same margin of error, yet we all look at that now famous photo of how close we were to scoring against Man City last season in a title defining game and we fully accept that incredibly tight call.  City see it as the key moment they won the title and never shut up about it, and we see it as a key moment in not winning it? Yet maybe it did cross the line by an armpit hair? 

With offside it's offside or it's not.  It's black and white. If you say we can have a level of gut feeling and/or common sense then imagine the explosion of heads when Anthony Taylor is on VAR and lets his "gut" rule out a Liverpool goal for offside?  Everybody will be moaning that we have the tech so why not use it? 

If the margin of error is 2 cms, them make the line 2cms wide and only the feet judge offside.  If any part of your foot is touching the line, then you're onside.  But we can't have gut feeling or common sense coming into it.

That Wolves goal we conceded, regardless of the shit celebration, had me, and everyone around me in the SKD lower dumbfounded as to why it was disallowed, (as did the Firmino goal at Villa) yet most around me felt the Mane goal against Wolves was never a handball and if anything, was a penalty for a shove on Lallana before Sadio scored.

Of course you were scratching your head.  Had that been 2 years ago and the lino had put his flag up during the move you'd have been scratching your head too.  That's what happens when you're at the game.

10 hours ago, Brownie said:

There’s definitely a version of VAR out there that we can live with I think. We’re nowhere near that stage yet though. The current version is fucking shit.

I absolutely agree with the first bit.  The rules were devised in a 2D world.  We now live in a 4D world.  The rules need to catch up.  However, I don't think the current version is shite. As I wrote above, I think everyone is happily ignoring all the good decisions and then just goes mental when a decision takes some time, or is tight like the Wolves one, or the Firmino one.

It reminds me a bit of the bellends who hate Henderson.  They'd sit quietly when he was bossing games left right and centre, and the second he played a bad pass, or even a backwards pass, they'd be tweeting like maniacs that Kieta has to start and Henderson is an embarrassment.  (For the avoidance of doubt, I don't think people who hate VAR are bellends. I fully understand their arguments and agree with parts of what they say, I just think it can work really well with tweaks)

1 hour ago, Mook said:

Jesus Mook, when you say infantile.  That's an utterly pathetic, childish, and just daft tweet.  If that dope actually thinks VAR is "reluctantly" giving goals, then he needs to head off to the lower leagues where he can, completely without self awareness no doubt, bitch and moan about a bad decision screwing over his team.

54 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

You are underestimating our 'mentality monsters' of a team. We'd have found a way to get points out of the game despite VAR,like Villa away or United away.

That's just a subjective view that we may have done that.  The fact is, we had goal ruled out that was good.  They had a goal given that was bad.  CAR corrected those decisions, and in a game where we tried really hard, but could not get a second goal to take a bit of pressure off, it ended up deciding the result.  That is fact.  Of course in an alternative universe we may have won anyway, but in this one, VAR was key.

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

Jesus Mook, when you say infantile.  That's an utterly pathetic, childish, and just daft tweet.  If that dope actually thinks VAR is "reluctantly" giving goals, then he needs to head off to the lower leagues where he can, completely without self awareness no doubt, bitch and moan about a bad decision screwing over his team.

Some of us are heading to the lower leagues, Johnny.

You're welcome to this sterile pish as far as I'm concerned.

• Upvote 1

What are you talking about, “VAR is making decisions in the background”? No it isn’t!

The ref makes decisions and VAR occasionally intervenes. If it doesn’t intervene it isn’t making a decision. Just plain nonsense what you are saying.

At the start of the season they just backed every mistake by the ref, until it became so embarrassingly obvious that they then started reversing decisions just to avoid the criticism and came up with some absolute shockers.  There have also been numerous ridiculous offsides, Firmino, that Villa goal, Pukki against Spurs. All a bunch of shite.

It seems you have no idea how the system works and haven’t actually been watching any games.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jose Jones said:

What are you talking about, “VAR is making decisions in the background”? No it isn’t!

The ref makes decisions and VAR occasionally intervenes. If it doesn’t intervene it isn’t making a decision. Just plain nonsense what you are saying.

VAR checks all goals and will alert the ref is something isn't right. It also looks at possible penalties or red cards.

1 hour ago, Jose Jones said:

At the start of the season they just backed every mistake by the ref, until it became so embarrassingly obvious that they then started reversing decisions just to avoid the criticism and came up with some absolute shockers.  There have also been numerous ridiculous offsides, Firmino, that Villa goal, Pukki against Spurs. All a bunch of shite.

It seems you have no idea how the system works and haven’t actually been watching any games.

That's a different thing altogether.  Your complaint there is how the English FA has managed it.  I totally agree with you that they've made a shite of it.  One key issue being the part where they told refs not use to the monitors on the side of the pitch.  Utterly crazy. Britain has to always feel it knows best, and they've done it here and made a mess of it.  When they finally back down and use it as intended it'll get a lot better.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, chevettehs said:

They did that before VAR and if it is scrapped they will still do it.

I know. I can't take it any more though. Many pundits seem so utterly shocked that decisions have to be taken by referring to the rules they haven't bothered to read once. Then making a far better guess than the old type of guess.

Humans can edit genes but we previously had an official running down the side of the pitch with a flag whilst pretending that they could simultaneously look at a ball being played half the pitch away, as well as down the line of the last defender.

2 hours ago, JohnnyH said:

VAR checks all goals and will alert the ref is something isn't right. It also looks at possible penalties or red cards.

That's a different thing altogether.  Your complaint there is how the English FA has managed it.  I totally agree with you that they've made a shite of it.  One key issue being the part where they told refs not use to the monitors on the side of the pitch.  Utterly crazy. Britain has to always feel it knows best, and they've done it here and made a mess of it.  When they finally back down and use it as intended it'll get a lot better.

Prexit ?

I agree with JH's general thrust.

We have always moaned at shit decisions and I have always been vehement in my view that we get shafted more than most so welcomed VAR , and am pleased this has been generally borne out to the immense sound of ABL's heads exploding. Is it a bit of a mess ? , Yes, but it is only 5/6 months into its operation and will get much better, and would already be much better imo sans PGMOL and Riley.

On a separate matter re a VAR screen , what is wrong with adapting the space where the shit scoreboard is already in place at the join of the Kop/Kemlyn.

• Upvote 2

Last season 2.82 goals were scored per game, and so far this season it's 2.79 goals per game. So that's the infinitesimal difference that VAR is making. If 0.03 fewer goals per game is ruining your enjoyment of the game, perhaps you should watch snooker or something.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, JohnnyH said:

I'm pro-VAR and agree it needs amending significantly, however I completely disagree that the ref checking a monitor is better. Look how the world club cup final ended up, the same angle that didn't show the foul being repeated 12 times, taking however long it was (4 minutes?). That bad decision aside, the last thing VAR needs is to increase the time it takes to make a decision, I'd much rather a panel of VAR refs take a maximum of 30 seconds (maybe less) to overrule a decision, preferably while play continues, if they aren't sure after 3 + angles it's not a clear and obvious error. The VAR refs need to grow a set and not shit themselves about undermining the ref on marginal decisions if he has made an error

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

I can think of a number of our games where VAR would have resulted in us having won at least 3 more league titles: Alan Smith's 'touch' on the indirect free kick for arsenals first goal in the 1989 title decider. Sterling offside that wasnt in 2014 away against city. Sadio's 'offside' goal at arsenal, kompany's red card challenge at city and Naby's penalty that wasnt against Leicester at Anfield last season.

Yep, a conservative estimate is that we would have won at least three league titles over the last three decades had VAR been in force over that period.

Beats me why some would choose 30 years of angst and trauma over the piffling irritation of waiting 45 seconds for every twentieth goal to be confirmed, but there you go.

• Upvote 2

On 15/01/2020 at 12:53, Mook said:

That happened about once in every 50 goals though, not every second goal.

VAR is a disaster, scrap it.

I like VAR. If a player knows they handled the ball in the build-up, they should not be surprised when VAR rules a goal out. If they know they didn't, nothing happening here.

As for offside, stay onside you fucking twats. And don't try and catch it out by coming back from an offside position. Make intelligent runs that breach the defence from an onside position.

51 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Last season 2.82 goals were scored per game, and so far this season it's 2.79 goals per game. So that's the infinitesimal difference that VAR is making. If 0.03 fewer goals per game is ruining your enjoyment of the game, perhaps you should watch snooker or something.

I'm amazed that someone of your intelligence can miss the point quite so spectacularly.

Just now, Mook said:

I'm amazed that someone of your intelligence can miss the point quite so spectacularly.

No, I just think that winning the league is the point. That's where the real satisfaction is. Goals, while they are lovely and joyous in the moment, are merely a means to that end.

1 hour ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Or looking at it from another angle, perhaps all this fucking about isn’t worth it considering it’s making such an infinitesimal difference?

and @JohnnyH for the purpose of this thread, VAR is inclusive of how it’s being implemented by the dopes who run it. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

aaaah Michaela Tabb. Halcyon days 

This is funny as fuck by the way Rem. 

"In the hole you blue bastard!! that'll teach you to mess with the snookertron" 

Possibly Adam Buxton's finest work that.

25 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

and @JohnnyH for the purpose of this thread, VAR is inclusive of how it’s being implemented by the dopes who run it. 

Well that's a pretty transparent effort to negate any discussion of the positive aspects and just lump them in with the bad and make it all bad. "You can have any colour you want as long as it's black" springs to mind.  If that's the kind of thread you want, then I'll leave it for people shaking their fists at clouds to pat themselves on the back.  I'll go and look at boobies on the GF.

On 15/01/2020 at 15:18, Mook said:

Football doesn't work like that, Johnny. If Wolves had been one nil up at half time we would've pummelled them second half and got at least a draw.

In answer to your infantile hypothetical question though, yes - I would happily take a Liverpool defeat if it meant we were rid of this fucking abomination for good.

Because he/she disagrees with you? Fucking hell .

11 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

Well that's a pretty transparent effort to negate any discussion of the positive aspects and just lump them in with the bad and make it all bad. "You can have any colour you want as long as it's black" springs to mind.  If that's the kind of thread you want, then I'll leave it for people shaking their fists at clouds to pat themselves on the back.  I'll go and look at boobies on the GF.

Dave jibbed Titty City. Closest you'll find over there is Strontz making a tit of himself. Might wanna put some Cher on in the background of you're planning to finish yourself off anytime soon.