You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

VAR shit show 19/20

Davelfc

4 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

While the club are saying that's what they'd have to do, it's what they'd have to do. I'm sure they're not resisting putting them in because of money, because in the grand scheme of things they're buttons and I would imagine they could probably shift a bit of advertising to fund it anyway. 

Like Ive said before, they could put them into and onto the Kop and ARE roofs. They could even install them into the side panels on the SKD Upper as per the approved planning permission from about 3 years ago. If they really, really wanted to install them.

Just now, dockers_strike said:

Like Ive said before, they could put them into and onto the Kop and ARE roofs. They could even install them into the side panels on the SKD Upper as per the approved planning permission from about 3 years ago. If they really, really wanted to install them.

I'm not sure the roof is quite that straight forward for lots of reasons, but I think safety the main one, but also if they're above the height of the current structure they'd need planning permission. I'm not sure where you mean on the SKD upper. I think there's space either end of the main stand on the end wall, but apparently there's some reason they can't do there either but I don't know what it is.  

1 hour ago, Barry Wom said:

So it wasn't you who said "Install VAR screens Liverpool and ManU. "? How silly of me. 

I absolutely said that. Look, you can read the words. They're mine. I'm struggling with the bit where you questioned whether I "really think we should *lose seats to accommodate screens?*" 

If you were being helpful, you might have said "Both clubs have said they'd need to lose seats. Is that a price worth paying?" And I'd have been wiser (albeit sceptical that that is the only option) and would have answered. But you didn't. You put words in my mouth. Question is, why? Have I upset you? 

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, rb14 said:

I absolutely said that. Look, you can read the words. They're mine. I'm struggling with the bit where you questioned whether I "really think we should *lose seats to accommodate screens?*" 

If you were being helpful, you might have said "Both clubs have said they'd need to lose seats. Is that a price worth paying?" And I'd have been wiser (albeit sceptical that that is the only option) and would have answered. But you didn't. You put words in my mouth. Question is, why? Have I upset you? 

I said the following....  "So both clubs have said they would need to lose seats to add screens. Do you really think we should do that? "

I'm not sure what not of that doesn't match with what you think I should have said. 

On 11/01/2020 at 10:50, rb14 said:

• THE PROCESS MUST be transmitted on large screens at games where VAR is in operation and relayed for the TV audience. Install VAR screens Liverpool and ManU. 
  • Decisions must be clearly explained - the ref must wear a mike that broadcasts the VAR check, decision and explanation. 

I don't think there's much to be gained from that. Sometimes there's a minute's confusion if it's not clear what's being checked, but that's usually clear when the check is complete (either from the referee's actions, the scoreboard or checking your phone). Do we really need to watch dotted lines being drawn from armpits?

One of the many things wrong with its current implementation is the way it is being used to check if the ball so much as brushed against the arm of an attacking player. It isn't even that they suspect it did. No players have appealed. The ref hasn't requested it. And the glance may not have even change the flight of the ball in the attacking player's favour. None of that matters they just go trying to find a reason to disallow the goal. Its crazy shit.

The handball rule is partly to blame - how it can mean different things depending on whether you are an attacker or a defender - but its still VAR shit.  

32 minutes ago, Jennings said:

One of the many things wrong with its current implementation is the way it is being used to check if the ball so much as brushed against the arm of an attacking player. It isn't even that they suspect it did. No players have appealed. The ref hasn't requested it. And the glance may not have even change the flight of the ball in the attacking player's favour. None of that matters they just go trying to find a reason to disallow the goal. Its crazy shit.

The handball rule is partly to blame - how it can mean different things depending on whether you are an attacker or a defender - but its still VAR shit.  

I hated the new handball rule at first but have come round to the idea.  As long as it's applied consistently and fairly I'm okay with it, and it does have some logic to it. 

Apologies to any women reading this who may not follow the analogy but VAR checking goals is like having sex with missus when, at the crucial moment, she says, “don’t stop”. Too late, of course, but it completely ruins the moment. It doesn’t matter whether the check take 4 minutes of 4 seconds; it is lost. 

Id scrap it entirely but the best adjustment I’ve heard is for games to refereed as before but with the ref having the ability to ask to see a screen if there is something he is uncertain about. Once he has pointed to the centre circle it is a goal. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, BCM said:

Bollocks to losing seats for a screen..... you want to watch a screen watch it at home.

Let's be clear just one more time. I am not advocating losing seats for TV screens. 

I find it difficult to believe the only option is to lose seats. 

Why are screens needed? has everyone become fucking dumb?

If everyone is standing around scratching their arse then VAR check is underway.

After that it is just a normal Ref decision,

point at the center circle- Goal

Point at a spot on the field - Not a fucking goal.

All this 'the crowd need to know what is going on' is bollocks for we the sky tossers and the BT bellends need to know what is going on.

Ref's have never explained their decisions at least VAR stops cunts like Taylor and Atkinson from being completely biased.

8 minutes ago, index1000 said:

Why are screens needed? has everyone become fucking dumb?

If everyone is standing around scratching their arse then VAR check is underway.

After that it is just a normal Ref decision,

point at the center circle- Goal

Point at a spot on the field - Not a fucking goal.

All this 'the crowd need to know what is going on' is bollocks for we the sky tossers and the BT bellends need to know what is going on.

Ref's have never explained their decisions at least VAR stops cunts like Taylor and Atkinson from being completely biased.

I'd like to see ref's explain decisions,not necessarily in an interview but maybe in a written piece through the ref's association. I obviously don't want VAR and want it fucked off so this is probably never going to happen anyway. Having reffed for a few years myself with mainly kids,youth and young adults,and occasionally adults also,I found that explaining your view or thought process tended to calm down heated situations. Ultimately people may still disagree with the decision but an explanation gave some logic to it and a human angle. I'd simply prefer human error over 5 minute stoppages to see if a goal was allowed or not due to grazing a player's underarm hair.

On 13/01/2020 at 01:05, AngryofTuebrook said:

I don't think there's much to be gained from that. Sometimes there's a minute's confusion if it's not clear what's being checked, but that's usually clear when the check is complete (either from the referee's actions, the scoreboard or checking your phone). Do we really need to watch dotted lines being drawn from armpits?

Nah. Do we fuck. But it's about communication for me. Why should people 'going the game' be LESS informed than everyone else? And no, I almost NEVER know what the check was specifically about. "Checking for possible Red card" - against who? Why? When? And as for drawing lines, that's a different argument; beyond ludicrous. 

No I don't want to watch telly at the match, but I do want to know what's going on when I'm there. It works OK at every other premiership ground bar us and the mancs, it works fine in rugby union and it certainly helps in F1. 

3 minutes ago, rb14 said:

Nah. Do we fuck. But it's about communication for me. Why should people 'going the game' be LESS informed than everyone else? And no, I almost NEVER know what the check was specifically about. "Checking for possible Red card" - against who? Why? When? And as for drawing lines, that's a different argument; beyond ludicrous. 

No I don't want to watch telly at the match, but I do want to know what's going on when I'm there. It works OK at every other premiership ground bar us and the mancs, it works fine in rugby union and it certainly helps in F1. 

Rugby Union and F1 are much less dynamic than football. RU has more stoppages and F1 is just cars driving round a track that can be stopped or slowed at a moment's notice.

12 hours ago, Mook said:

It's a good article but it doesnt negate the fact that pre VAR, the crowd would celebrate a goal, still be celebrating it while the ref notices the lino with his flag up or even goes over to him to discuss it? We've all been to games pre VAR were goals have beenruled out and no one in the ground knows why the ref ruled it out. Yes, the time taken was less than VAR but it's undeniable it happened. And we all wanted an end to the uncertainty.

And that is VAR's problem, the PGMOL here have totally fucked up it's use. I keep saying it and I'll keep repeating myself. Riley, head of PGMOL never wanted VAR. He's made it such a shit show that there is now almost universal rejection of VAR despite it giving refs the tools to get the decision right every time.

The fact some VAR decisions are ludicrous is not VAR's fault. It is the fault of the implementors. Who understood VAR was going to be used to confirm every goal was legit, even the ones which clear were? Who understood VAR would be used to determine onside \ offside by millimetres? Who understood VAR would use lower definition camers than goal line technology for these decisions anyway?

VAR doesnt need to check every goal. Neither does it need to take an age to make a decision. If you need to look at something for 3 or 4 minutes and 6 or 7 different camera angles, it's not 'clear and obvious mistake' so VAR's decision should uphold that of the ref.

VAR should tell the ref to go look at the incident on the pitchside monitor and not let some neferious VAR 'ref' sat hundreds of miles away take an age to deliberate an incident. This is an area it is failling.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

It's a good article but it doesnt negate the fact that pre VAR, the crowd would celebrate a goal, still be celebrating it while the ref notices the lino with his flag up or even goes over to him to discuss it? 

That happened about once in every 50 goals though, not every second goal.

VAR is a disaster, scrap it.

• Upvote 1