You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

VAR shit show 19/20

Davelfc

Who has benefited most from VAR decisions? The conspiracy to give Southampton the title.

For Against Difference

Southampton 6 1 5
Brighton 7 3 4
Man Utd 4 1 3
Bournemouth 3 1 2
Liverpool 4 2 2
Leicester 5 4 1
Tottenham 5 4 1
Burnley 3 2 1
Crystal Palace 3 2 1
Watford 2 1 1
Newcastle 1 0 1
Man City 3 3 0
West Ham 4 4 0
Aston Villa 1 2 -1
Everton 1 2 -1
Arsenal 1 3 -2
Chelsea 2 5 -3
Norwich 1 4 -3
Wolves 0 5 -5
Sheffield United 1 7 -6

10 hours ago, kop77 said:

Who has benefited most from VAR decisions? The conspiracy to give Southampton the title.

For Against Difference

Southampton 6 1 5
Brighton 7 3 4
Man Utd 4 1 3
Bournemouth 3 1 2
Liverpool 4 2 2
Leicester 5 4 1
Tottenham 5 4 1
Burnley 3 2 1
Crystal Palace 3 2 1
Watford 2 1 1
Newcastle 1 0 1
Man City 3 3 0
West Ham 4 4 0
Aston Villa 1 2 -1
Everton 1 2 -1
Arsenal 1 3 -2
Chelsea 2 5 -3
Norwich 1 4 -3
Wolves 0 5 -5
Sheffield United 1 7 -6

Who's deciding who's benefitting? 

My biggest gripe of VAR is that it’s taken the joy out of the game to a degree. Muted celebrations of goals is becoming common place and that feels wrong in itself.

The not knowing at games is a killer as well. I was at the Charity Shield and the board says “checking possible red card”. For who? You don’t know whether to cheer or shit yourself.

They will improve the technology and the implementation for sure but speed of decision and transparency needs to improve dramatically for it to be successful.

I assume the above table just describes decisions re goals that have been overturned  , so not really revelatory as it doesn't even show what would have happened in comparison to last season as there is no way of knowing if refs would have made earlier decisions or liners would have flagged last season with their guidance changed.

Why are people still saying the Wolves goal was wrongly disallowed? Van Dijk didn't handle the ball and the player was offside. 

That said..... fuck VAR. If that goes 1:1 we beat them 3 or 4 1 so fuck them. 

I remember arguing with an ex boss who was a Chelsea fan in 2005. Ok if the Garcia (he drinks sangria) goal isn't given then its a penalty, you lose a player and we beat you 5 nil. 

On 30/12/2019 at 19:49, Ne Moe Imya said:

Anyone talking about how "VAR can never be definitive" has missed the point.

It was never meant to be "definitive," obviously that's impossible. The only thing VAR has to do is be better than the previous system.

I really feel most of the complaints this season have been a case of the grass always being greener on the other side of the fence. We have forgotten how awful it was to be absolutely robbed of a win by a terrible lino missing an obvious offside call. So we get upset about them possibly getting it wrong over a one-inch call instead.

Do we really want to return to the days when players were being called off by mistake when they were two yards on? Because that used to happen REGULARLY in past seasons!

I don’t know if you go to the match mate, but personally I’d rather the former than the latter and being there having the game in limbo while var fucks about is a part of the reason.

• Upvote 1

They had Peter Walton on BT and asked him and he said 'it wasn't clear and obvious so would be let go'

I mean seriously fuck off - that says it all about the PL refs attitude and arrogance....surely that is the kind of situation refs should be glad of help with - crowded box, hard to see and tech can help them...but they don't want to use it like that do they.

It is a foul and given all day long anywhere else on the park.

They fuck about with millimetre offsides, look at trying to rule out perfectly good goals over and over but something clear as day that would actually properly punish foul play they aren't interested - cunts.

Was not that long ago they had a big clampdown on shirt pulling in box and were handing out penalties all over the place - then they decided to stop.

Useless.

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, dylstar said:

IMG_20200102_220208.jpg

And I'd been told VAR was all about Liverpool, yet there's 3 scousers. Surely they must be evertonians if they're from Liverpool?

11 hours ago, an tha said:

They had Peter Walton on BT and asked him and he said 'it wasn't clear and obvious so would be let go'

I mean seriously fuck off - that says it all about the PL refs attitude and arrogance....surely that is the kind of situation refs should be glad of help with - crowded box, hard to see and tech can help them...but they don't want to use it like that do they.

It is a foul and given all day long anywhere else on the park.

They fuck about with millimetre offsides, look at trying to rule out perfectly good goals over and over but something clear as day that would actually properly punish foul play they aren't interested - cunts.

Was not that long ago they had a big clampdown on shirt pulling in box and were handing out penalties all over the place - then they decided to stop.

Useless.

Wasn't that the world cup with VAR when that happened? Then they implemented VAR without the only thing it was good at and actually solved a problem in the game. 

• Upvote 1

Remember when we didn't have VAR and people were drawing lines on paint from various angles to prove offside/onside calls? Or goals being allowed and people complaining that if X decision went for us, we'd have got 3 points and won Y? 

It's clear VAR needs some tweaking but you can't do anything mid-season as it would merely invalidate previous decisions. I like the concept of VAR and I think if it were revised slightly, it'd make football better (e.g. checking goals quicker/allowing communication to be heard etc). It's got the potential to be quite informative too, such as if the ref association were more involved (pref. in real-time) in decision making and the rules. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Seasons said:

Remember when we didn't have VAR and people were drawing lines on paint from various angles to prove offside/onside calls? Or goals being allowed and people complaining that if X decision went for us, we'd have got 3 points and won Y? 

It's clear VAR needs fucking off but you can't do anything mid-season as it would merely invalidate previous decisions. I hate the concept of VAR and I think if it were fucked off, it'd make football better.