You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

VAR shit show 19/20

Davelfc

Judging by how VAR is supposed to be used, I think the correct thing in the Villa game would have been to let play go on after the supposed foul/dive, and then check back with VAR, either awarding or disallowing the subsequent goal. Instead, Kevin Friend went all Kevin Friend and followed his own rules. The guys in the VAR room don't seem to want to overrule the man in the middle by having decisions (or non-decisions) overturned and making the official seem inept, so they didn't even look at it. They don't realise that they make the whole thing look inept. The problem with VAR isn't so much the technology as it is those in charge of implementing it and making the decisions.

Guest Pistonbroke
5 minutes ago, Trumo said:

Judging by how VAR is supposed to be used, I think the correct thing in the Villa game would have been to let play go on after the supposed foul/dive, and then check back with VAR, either awarding or disallowing the subsequent goal. Instead, Kevin Friend went all Kevin Friend and followed his own rules. The guys in the VAR room don't seem to want to overrule the man in the middle by having decisions (or non-decisions) overturned and making the official seem inept, so they didn't even look at it. They don't realise that they make the whole thing look inept. The problem with VAR isn't so much the technology as it is those in charge of implementing it and making the decisions.

That Friend is one the worst officials on the circuit, he's utterly incompetent. 

4 minutes ago, rubble-rouser said:

The only good thing to come out of VAR is that players are much more reluctant to go to ground. The Grealish thing was all wrong, but it will make players much more reluctant to dive and refs more willing to give the benefit of doubt to the defender.

I don't think he dived or was looking for a penalty. It was a definite free kick at least.

8 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I don't think he dived or was looking for a penalty. It was a definite free kick at least.

I totally agree, it was the wrong decision, but the one thing that really can and will be picked up us out and out diving. I think it will be massively scrutinised and I think it’s influencing the way forwards play and the way refs see it.

Guest Pistonbroke
10 hours ago, rubble-rouser said:

I totally agree, it was the wrong decision, but the one thing that really can and will be picked up us out and out diving. I think it will be massively scrutinised and I think it’s influencing the way forwards play and the way refs see it.

You only have to look at the back pages today. 

Has there been a single decision overturned under the 'clear and present danger' rule yet in any of the 40 Premiership games played so far ? The tackle on Callum Wilson was the most obvious red card I have seen for some time.

This was one of my worries , that English referees are so mollycoddled under Riley and Webb and their egos that fragile they will not allow themselves to have them to have any decisions questioned. The minute we were humiliated by being told that we had no referees or linesman good enough to participate at the last World Cup Riley should have been history.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, sir roger said:

Has there been a single decision overturned under the 'clear and present danger' rule yet in any of the 40 Premiership games played so far ? The tackle on Callum Wilson was the most obvious red card I have seen for some time.

This was one of my worries , that English referees are so mollycoddled under Riley and Webb and their egos that fragile they will not allow themselves to have them to have any decisions questioned. The minute we were humiliated by being told that we had no referees or linesman good enough to participate at the last World Cup Riley should have been history.

He should have been history as a ref. Quite easily among the worst I've ever seen.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, sir roger said:

Martin Atkinson was the VAR ref.

• Upvote 1

Referees don’t want to make a prat of themselves by making a dodgy decision (when VAR can bale them out) and VAR is reluctant to overrule the on field  decision. Recipe for inaction. 

Football should be a self contained event comprising 22 players and three officials. The rest of us are spectators. 

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Barnesey said:

Referees don’t want to make a prat of themselves by making a dodgy decision (when VAR can bale them out) and VAR is reluctant to overrule the on field  decision. Recipe for inaction. 

Football should be a self contained event comprising 22 players and three officials. The rest of us are spectators. 

Dead on.

• 2 weeks later...