You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

VAR shit show 19/20

Davelfc

So against arsenal, the got a corner as a result of a move where aubameyang was definitely offside and tv replays proved it within a couple of seconds, but the corner stood anyway.

if they had scored from the corner, would VAR have come into play or do we all just have to accept that a decision was wrong and even though VAR exists and could’ve overturned it, it isn’t allowed to in scenario x, but is in scenario y?

1 hour ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

So against arsenal, the got a corner as a result of a move where aubameyang was definitely offside and tv replays proved it within a couple of seconds, but the corner stood anyway.

if they had scored from the corner, would VAR have come into play or do we all just have to accept that a decision was wrong and even though VAR exists and could’ve overturned it, it isn’t allowed to in scenario x, but is in scenario y?

I've had this discussion twice at the match, in fact the very situation you mention prompted a discussion on it. The best I can do to rationalise it for myself is that it works both ways. It's not right though. 

When I say 'prompted a discussion' what I mean is a lot of expletives and gesturing from several of us towards the lino. 

It's a loophole that should benefit us, we generally attack more. But it will bite someone on the arse then they'll review it and probably then have to review all offsides in such circumstances.

In my opinion, it just isn't ready and it isn't working well for the match going fans. We have the same knob heads making the same stupid decisions because they're covering each others backs. 

• Upvote 1

I think VAR is tugging at some of the threads of the game that need to be looked at. The offside rule needs to be looked at, it should be changed to daylight between players and all this stupid interfering and phases, go back to the old rule and let technology replace the 'generally' useless flag waving pricks on the sidelines. 

2 hours ago, Champions of Europe said:

I think VAR is tugging at some of the threads of the game that need to be looked at. The offside rule needs to be looked at, it should be changed to daylight between players and all this stupid interfering and phases, go back to the old rule and let technology replace the 'generally' useless flag waving pricks on the sidelines. 

Here's the thing with offside. It doesn't need daylight, it just needs lino's to not give offside unless they're sure it's offside. Offside is a rule that was brought in to stop goal hanging. It's achieved that and does with or without TV freeze frames. It's about the spirit of the law. For me while lots of people think it's should be really black or white and you can draw a line on the pitch etc, I would personally just be happy to let the lino do the best they can. We don't seem to get any more right using technology, just fuck it off. 

I heard something apparently FIFA want to get rid of linesman and just replace with a technology solution. Fuck knows how technology will work out phases of play and all that shit. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

Here's the thing with offside. It doesn't need daylight, it just needs lino's to not give offside unless they're sure it's offside. Offside is a rule that was brought in to stop goal hanging. It's achieved that and does with or without TV freeze frames. It's about the spirit of the law. For me while lots of people think it's should be really black or white and you can draw a line on the pitch etc, I would personally just be happy to let the lino do the best they can. We don't seem to get any more right using technology, just fuck it off. 

I heard something apparently FIFA want to get rid of linesman and just replace with a technology solution. Fuck knows how technology will work out phases of play and all that shit. 

Yeah I read recently that they're looking at technology, so they need to simplify it in my opinion. They won't listen to fans, they'll push ahead with whatever they want. We only pay to watch it and provide the atmosphere. 

36 minutes ago, Champions of Europe said:

Yeah I read recently that they're looking at technology, so they need to simplify it in my opinion. They won't listen to fans, they'll push ahead with whatever they want. We only pay to watch it and provide the atmosphere. 

Well if var is around for a while, I expect the atmosphere to die pretty quickly. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

Apparently there's something mad in the villa match with grealish too. I don't know quite what, caught it on the radio in the car going into the pub for our game. But something to do with him making an assist after going to ground, he doesn't appeal and is done for diving or something. 

VAR had been a total disaster so far. I was positive to VAR, even if I was concerned with how much time it would consume and break up matches.

The real problem now is that they let wrong decisions stand because they're not clear and obvious. The refs don't dare to make a decision and VAR doesn't correct them.

It's a total shit show so far.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Barry Wom said:

Fucking hell just watched that grealish one. Dunno if you can strike that down to var unless he blows after the goal, but that's a fucking outrageous decision. Kevin Friend wants fucking for that. 

Not sure what the fuck Kyle Martino of NBCSN actually knows but the gist of what he said to explain the decision was that since Kevin Friend blew up for a card rather than for a pen it couldn't be looked at through VAR because fouls (or maybe it was just simulation fouls and/or yellows) aren't reviewable with VAR and the foul being called effectively meant the goal scored never happened. So had friend awarded a pen or allowed the play to continue to it's conclusion then VAR could've looked at it and potentially corrected or confirmed the decision was originally correct. Having just thought about it though had he awarded a pen I'd assume the goal scored also wouldn't have counted because Palace could easily argue they heard the whistle and switched off, so the best practice for an official in this case would've been to not blow at all until that passage of play was completed. If the goal is scored as it was then you can use VAR to see if it should've been disallowed, and a foul awarded and if not then you can still award the foul, albeit late.

11 hours ago, Saintslfc13 said:

Not sure what the fuck Kyle Martino of NBCSN actually knows but the gist of what he said to explain the decision was that since Kevin Friend blew up for a card rather than for a pen it couldn't be looked at through VAR because fouls (or maybe it was just simulation fouls and/or yellows) aren't reviewable with VAR and the foul being called effectively meant the goal scored never happened. So had friend awarded a pen or allowed the play to continue to it's conclusion then VAR could've looked at it and potentially corrected or confirmed the decision was originally correct. Having just thought about it though had he awarded a pen I'd assume the goal scored also wouldn't have counted because Palace could easily argue they heard the whistle and switched off, so the best practice for an official in this case would've been to not blow at all until that passage of play was completed. If the goal is scored as it was then you can use VAR to see if it should've been disallowed, and a foul awarded and if not then you can still award the foul, albeit late.

That's why I said I don't know if you can strike it down to var. This is clearly all on friend. Even if grealish didn't get touched there (and clearly he does more than once), I don't see why friend needs to call a dive. It doesn't look like a dive and grealish doesn't look like he's asking for a foul, friend should have let the game continue regardless of if there was var to review it or not. Terrible decision and for me so bad he should be sent back to referee school or whatever it is they do when a ref has a shocker. If I drove my car as badly as Kevin Friend referees football games, I'd lose my license. 

• Upvote 2

No thinking about it. Outrageous dive and should have been carded. Of course we've all seen a penno given because "there was some contact", but if a penno was awarded against us for that, we'd go mad. And Friend blew the whistle. That also rules the goal out. 

If Friend got anything wrong it was blowing the whistle. Let it play on and disallow the goal for the dive having seen VAR. As for Grealish making nothing of it, that's because he thought they'd scored. Had it not gone in he'd have been rolling around in agony like a very rolling around in agony thing.