You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

VAR shit show 19/20

Davelfc

21 hours ago, The Guest said:

The same way offsides are given without linesman.  This view is fucking Neanderthal like and completely untrue.  There are now sin bins in amateur football introduced this season to punish dissent.  The rules do not have to be the same at all levels and aren’t.

I don't disagree with you as I've always supported two different ruling bodies,one for the professional game and one for amateur/grassroots,maybe even a third for women and girls too. As it is though we keep getting told that its supposed to be the same rules for everybody yet it obviously isn't. The only reason VAR exists is because of the money generated and not wanting to upset the gravy train. I just want better refs,that will do for me.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I don't disagree with you as I've always supported two different ruling bodies,one for the professional game and one for amateur/grassroots,maybe even a third for women and girls too. As it is though we keep getting told that its supposed to be the same rules for everybody yet it obviously isn't. The only reason VAR exists is because of the money generated and not wanting to upset the gravy train. I just want better refs,that will do for me.

Ditching the shit ones would be a good start, hopefully (and it's a big hope) VAR might start to highlight the bad ones more. Although I doubt it, as they will take turns the old boys club will ensure they look after each other. 

Anyone who still thinks VAR is a good idea must surely be of questionable intelligence.

always was going to be shit. Proven to be.

i know this wasn’t really an important match, but it’s still a showpiece and it has overseen the giving of a pen that didn’t look like one in real time, and looked even less like one on each of the two (for some reason, only two) replays we got to see.

they were never going to overturn the decision of the first woman to referee a major men’s game in Europe (separate discussion) but it’s just shit.

i didn’t celebrate either of our goals properly because I expected both to be ruled out.

you could argue it got the offsides right, but actually the assistants got those decisions right and var just confirmed them.

its bloody terrible and needs throwing in the bin.

• Upvote 1

I don't understand why the controversy today is about VAR.

VAR isn't relevant here - all it did was allow the referee to have a video to spot a violation of the rules in the buildup to Jesus' goal.

The problem is the change in the handball rule. Has nothing to do with VAR, you could have VARred that all day long last season and it would have been a goal. The issue is the rule change, not the system that allows us to more accurately enforce it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, sir roger said:

To be fair I assume the same rule was in effect when Solanke's goal against West Brom at home was 'scored' a couple of seasons ago. Nobody suggested it was deliberate but it scored a goal. in much the same way as Laporte's set up Jesus this afternoon.

Changed this season apparently. Any hand ball, deliberate or not, that results in a goal means that the goal doesn't stand. 

3 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

I don't understand why the controversy today is about VAR.

VAR isn't relevant here - all it did was allow the referee to have a video to spot a violation of the rules in the buildup to Jesus' goal.

The problem is the change in the handball rule. Has nothing to do with VAR, you could have VARred that all day long last season and it would have been a goal. The issue is the rule change, not the system that allows us to more accurately enforce it.

That’s fair to a degree. It’s the rule that is nonsense, but VAR can’t get a free pass.

The goal was only ruled out because of VAR. Without it, the goal stands. Simple as that.

11 hours ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

That’s fair to a degree. It’s the rule that is nonsense, but VAR can’t get a free pass.

The goal was only ruled out because of VAR. Without it, the goal stands. Simple as that.

Then surely VAR is helping....as the law states it shouldn't have been a goal - the correct decision was only arrived at thanks to VAR.

OK the law is fucking rubbish, but it is what it is and has to be enforced - thanks to VAR it has been.

11 minutes ago, an tha said:

Then surely VAR is helping....as the law states it shouldn't have been a goal - the correct decision was only arrived at thanks to VAR.

OK the law is fucking rubbish, but it is what it is and has to be enforced - thanks to VAR it has been.

Nope. The crap rule exists because of and alongside VAR. For the same reasons. If we weren’t getting the “ultimate accountability” of VAR, we wouldn’t have this nonsense change to handball.

its the same thing.

its moving to satisfy internet whoppers who cry over every wrong decision. Just get on with it.

6 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

Nope. The crap rule exists because of and alongside VAR. For the same reasons. If we weren’t getting the “ultimate accountability” of VAR, we wouldn’t have this nonsense change to handball.

its the same thing.

its moving to satisfy internet whoppers who cry over every wrong decision. Just get on with it.

If they have put a rule in and are now able to ensure it is totally accurately applied then that should be good - no more games won or lost due to missed or wrong calls. 

As for crying well what we have now using yesterday as an example is people crying their eyes out because they've not been allowed to win a game through an infringement of the rules - and worse still violence outside the ground because of it.

2 minutes ago, an tha said:

If they have put a rule in and are now able to ensure it is totally accurately applied then that should be good - no more games won or lost due to missed or wrong calls. 

As for crying well what we have now using yesterday as an example is people crying their eyes out because they've not been allowed to win a game through an infringement of the rules - and worse still violence outside the ground because of it.

Total Accuracy.

I demand TOTAL ACCURACY!

13 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

its the same thing.

Hasn't VAR been in use for a couple of years at least? It's not a rule that has been brought in alongside VAR, surely it's a rule to balance out the advantages an attack receives through mistakes. The man city player tried to header it. He missed it. It hit his hand instead. It then fell to the striker who scored. 

Bear in mind that a penalty wouldn't be given in the same circumstances, which is questionable. However you could argue that a penalty is not a guarantee of a goal, just a chance to score one. 

I like the rule change (same as keeper being able to play the ball to a defender in your own area) and I'm sure it will result in more goals being disallowed but the game of football is more honest as a result of VAR. In principle, anyway as the penalty that City should have had was far more questionable. 

I might be in a minority here but I’ve no beef with the rule (apart from the fact that it doesn’t apply to defenders as well). The deliberate/accidental and big advantage/little advantage distinctions just made it a nightmare - someone’s mentioned Solanke’s non-goal against WBA, remember the diabolical intent shite about Suarez vs Mansfield. This just clears it up - no grey areas, same for everyone. It’s going to be harsh on some goals but it’ll be equally harsh: the blue cunts yesterday were treated the same as wolves the week before - there’s a possibility those two incidents could have been interpreted differently if the rules hadn’t changed.