You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

VAR shit show 19/20

Davelfc

All VAR will do/has done is highlight how stupid most of the rules are and that they need to change, in particular the handball rule, what does and doesn't constitute a foul, etc... The rules in football aren't indelible or sacred, they were made up by a bunch of random English guys during the industrial revolution or whatever.

VAR won't go away. If the authorities are smart, they'll change the rules in function of the technology and the game will be better as a result. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Just don’t run in the box.  Its cheating and it’s not hard to stay out.  The keepers are allowed to move off the line as long as one foot is still there.  There’s loads of crying about the rules getting applied.  Most players will learn and stop doing it.  Thick cunts like Rice probably won’t but that’s their problem.  He literally did the exact same thing for the second penalty.  He didn’t benefit though as it was scored so it stood..

Theres been loads of gamesmanship issues over the years which people have pissed people off.  VAR means the rules are the rules now and I don’t see it as a bad thing.

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

All VAR will do/has done is highlight how stupid most of the rules are and that they need to change, in particular the handball rule, what does and doesn't constitute a foul, etc... The rules in football aren't indelible or sacred, they were made up by a bunch of random English guys during the industrial revolution or whatever.

VAR won't go away. If the authorities are smart, they'll change the rules in function of the technology and the game will be better as a result. 

What is deemed to be handball is far too open to interpretation at the minute, with or without VAR. Whether it's ball-to-hand or hand-to-ball, deliberate or accidental, I think the player should be penalised in all cases. While it seems harsh for incidents where it is accidental, it takes the guesswork out of the equation, and doesn't give the VAR officials a chance to deem something that was accidental as deliberate just because it looks worse on a slo-mo replay from multiple angles. And it takes away all that bollocks about whether a player's hands/arms were in an unnatural position.

"But it will take away some of the talking points!" No, those aren't talking points. Those are things to whinge about.

2 minutes ago, Trumo said:

What is deemed to be handball is far too open to interpretation at the minute, with or without VAR. Whether it's ball-to-hand or hand-to-ball, deliberate or accidental, I think the player should be penalised in all cases. While it seems harsh for incidents where it is accidental, it takes the guesswork out of the equation, and doesn't give the VAR officials a chance to deem something that was accidental as deliberate just because it looks worse on a slo-mo replay from multiple angles. And it takes away all that bollocks about whether a player's hands/arms were in an unnatural position.

"But it will take away some of the talking points!" No, those aren't talking points. Those are things to whinge about.

That would turn the game into a bigger farce.  Players would be intentionally playing it into opposition hands and arms any time they were near the box. The rules as they stand now and how they are being implemented recently are the best they’ve ever been.  There’s no hiding behind the “referees opinion” it needs to be black and white without ruining the game.  Personally I’d like to see handballs in the box which aren’t leading to a goal scoring situation no longer a penalty.  The punishment doesn’t fit the crime.

21 minutes ago, The Guest said:

...how they are being implemented recently are the best they’ve ever been.  

The handball for Utd in last years champions league. The handball given against us versus Roma at their gaff where our defender literally had tucked his arms behind his back. Woeful implementations of the rules. 

15 minutes ago, Jennings said:

The handball for Utd in last years champions league. The handball given against us versus Roma at their gaff where our defender literally had tucked his arms behind his back. Woeful implementations of the rules. 

I was actually thinking of the United one as I was typing.  I mean recently as in towards the end of the season and the rule changes made for this season.  The Roma decision was 2 seasons ago and was a joke.  It was Milners arm.  The other one I thought was bad was the World Cup final one.  The unnatural position thing is a good rule when it’s implemented correctly.  You are always going to get knobhead referees making decisions like the United one but overtime they will become less and less as we’ve seen.

The only video technology that should be used is the goal - line Hawkeye thingy. The only reason we have VAR is the constant whining of inadequate managers continually claiming “That decision changed the game”, “Refereeing decisions cost me my job” and such bollocks - all opinion  presented as fact - yes Moyes, gobshites like you trying to mask your incompetence. Rather than the media FIFA and Premier League calling them out on it....they have caved.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, sir roger said:

I preferred it when the handball rule was that it had to be deliberate ?

The problem with that is the game moves on and people take advantage of it.  Shithouses like Mourinho come up with all sorts of ways to exploit rules.  There’s been plenty of occasions where players haven’t “deliberately” stopped a goal but they had their hands in the air making themselves as big as possible and the ball got smashed at them and hit it.  It’s right that rules change to stop cheating.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Le Duan said:

The only video technology that should be used is the goal - line Hawkeye thingy. The only reason we have VAR is the constant whining of inadequate managers continually claiming “That decision changed the game”, “Refereeing decisions cost me my job” and such bollocks - all opinion  presented as fact - yes Moyes, gobshites like you trying to mask your incompetence. Rather than the media FIFA and Premier League calling them out on it....they have caved.

There’s a massive portion of truth in this.  Personally I was against it before it came in.  Now it’s here though, fuck it let’s see how it works.  If it’s shite fuck it off and go back to the way it was.  Either way it will be nice to see massive amounts gamesmanship stop because of it.  At least for a while.

1 hour ago, The Guest said:

There’s a massive portion of truth in this.  Personally I was against it before it came in.  Now it’s here though, fuck it let’s see how it works.  If it’s shite fuck it off and go back to the way it was.  Either way it will be nice to see massive amounts gamesmanship stop because of it.  At least for a while.

Conversely I was all for it before it came in but they've fucked it up so badly I'd now consider myself against it. 

It's far too messy, still too open to "interpretation" (ie copping out).  They should have just clarified one or two rules, introduced a set number of challenges per half, with the decision made by an off pitch panel. 

11 hours ago, The Guest said:

But how are these same rules applied in Sunday league and grassroots football where there is no VAR? The laws laid down have to apply at all levels and I suspect the biggest shit shows will be there.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Moo said:

Conversely I was all for it before it came in but they've fucked it up so badly I'd now consider myself against it. 

It's far too messy, still too open to "interpretation" (ie copping out).  They should have just clarified one or two rules, introduced a set number of challenges per half, with the decision made by an off pitch panel. 

Having ‘challenges’ like in tennis would be open to abuse though. You’d have teams doing it tactically to slow the game down. I would also imagine that clubs will have staff dedicated to finding other ways to use it as an advantage. 

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

But how are these same rules applied in Sunday league and grassroots football where there is no VAR? The laws laid down have to apply at all levels and I suspect the biggest shit shows will be there.

The same way offsides are given without linesman.  This view is fucking Neanderthal like and completely untrue.  There are now sin bins in amateur football introduced this season to punish dissent.  The rules do not have to be the same at all levels and aren’t.

Technology should take over 'policing' the game completely. The game could flow like the unarbitrated street games of my youth, all rules casually applied and enforced by player consensus. The only time technology would be called upon is when no on pitch accord can be obtained. Goals, red card offences and offside. as is now the case, can be decided by VAR. The game could otherwise run its course without any physical presence officiating.

This method would get rid of the smug, retarded, self importamt, pompous, overpaid, preening, posing, prancing, celebrity wannabe cunts like Taylor, Pawson, Atkinson, Dean and all their ilk, returning them to the dour anonymity of their otherwise pointless lives.

With no one there to blow the final whistle, the game can be decided by the age old conclsuion of 'next goal's the winner' or the balll bursts or it gets too late or too dark and the owner of the ball has to go home for his tea.  

• Upvote 2

58 minutes ago, torahboy said:

Technology should take over 'policing' the game completely. The game could flow like the unarbitrated street games of my youth, all rules casually applied and enforced by player consensus. The only time technology would be called upon is when no on pitch accord can be obtained. Goals, red card offences and offside. as is now the case, can be decided by VAR. The game could otherwise run its course without any physical presence officiating.

This method would get rid of the smug, retarded, self importamt, pompous, overpaid, preening, posing, prancing, celebrity wannabe cunts like Taylor, Pawson, Atkinson, Dean and all their ilk, returning them to the dour anonymity of their otherwise pointless lives.

With no one there to blow the final whistle, the game can be decided by the age old conclsuion of 'next goal's the winner' or the balll bursts or it gets too late or too dark and the owner of the ball has to go home for his tea.  

740693787_RonManager2.jpg.bd24f3513c29ef

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Having ‘challenges’ like in tennis would be open to abuse though. You’d have teams doing it tactically to slow the game down. I would also imagine that clubs will have staff dedicated to finding other ways to use it as an advantage. 

You could only abuse it if challenges were not limited, or given a silly limit.  One per half per team, you couldn't afford to waste it. 

Im fully on board with the use of VAR to get the right decisions .But, in England particularly, Riley's mob are making a real shit show of using it.

They used VAR in the Bundesliga last season, I dont recollect them having any offside decisions decided due to a gnat sat on a player's shoulder and dangling its cock out in the wind.

Seriously, just WTF is Riley playing at?