You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Lack of summer signings poll

Pureblood

Mistake or not?  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Mistake or not?

• Big mistake. We will pay for it as the season progresses.
    • No big deal. The squad is fine how it is.
    • I'm somewhere in the middle. Would have been nice to strengthen but we'll get by.
    • Fuck off, TK.

Very disappointing summer.

Its plain to see the front 3 cannot play every game, especially as they've not had much break and are likely to pick up injuries. One big injury to those 3 leaves us massively in the shit and multiple leaves us completely fucked. Origi as much as I love him, isn't good enough nor is Shaqiri to play a sustained period of time. Brewster didn't even make the Charity Shield bench, if that was due to anything other then a niggle, Klopp clearly doesn't think he's ready/good enough.

No cover at full back apart from an aging midfielder,  Gomez who is poor at full back and some promising kids.

Midfield is fine.

Central defence is fine.

We'll cope but it's highly unlikely we'll get as close to city this year, we only needed a attacking option and cover at full back but we've got neither.

Oh well, we'll spend 75% of the Mane/Salah sale next year instead.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

My overriding impression is that I think our squad is good enough. It’s brilliant. I think Man City’s strength has really distorted the picture - they’ve lost Sané, which will have zero negative impact on their changes of winning the title.

I think they'll really miss Sane because he allowed them to rotate without losing quality. And Aguero is another year older. 

I saw somewhere that we played 8 league games without one of the front 3 last season, won 7 and drew 1 averaging 3 goals a game.

So it does seem like we might be able to cope with a bit of rest and rotation, unless a couple are out long term.

Mind you when a couple were out we beat Barcelona 4-0, so we might be ok then too.

7 hours ago, aws said:

I think they'll really miss Sane because he allowed them to rotate without losing quality. And Aguero is another year older. 

Sane won it for them when he came on against us at Etihad.

We would have drawn comfortably without his impact, and won the League.

47 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

I saw somewhere that we played 8 league games without one of the front 3 last season, won 7 and drew 1 averaging 3 goals a game.

So it does seem like we might be able to cope with a bit of rest and rotation, unless a couple are out long term.

Mind you when a couple were out we beat Barcelona 4-0, so we might be ok then too.

The defensive solidity helps no end.  If we can keep our back six of Alisson, the usual back four and Fabinho fit throughout most of the season we only need to score one or two goals to win most games.

1 hour ago, TK421 said:

The defensive solidity helps no end.  If we can keep our back six of Alisson, the usual back four and Fabinho fit throughout most of the season we only need to score one or two goals to win most games.

The only thing with that is we need the threat of the 3 up top consistently to scare teams from attacking. I think if we had some injuries up front long term we'd look a lot more fragile at the back all of a sudden.

We have the biggest threat in world football on the counter with our front players and that threat serves to protect our defense really well. I wouldn't like to see what we'd look like without 2 of the 3 front players for more than a couple games. Attacking and defending. 

We'll be okay because the team is still quality. I can easily see us drawing a bunch of games during an injury crisis though, which will ultimately end our title chances. Here's hoping Shaq and Origi step up once again and the likes of Gomez and AOC kick on from where they left off. 

6 hours ago, Boss said:

We'll be okay because the team is still quality. I can easily see us drawing a bunch of games during an injury crisis though, which will ultimately end our title chances. Here's hoping Shaq and Origi step up once again and the likes of Gomez and AOC kick on from where they left off. 

Keita should have a much bigger impact too. 

Like all of us, I would rather we bolstered our ranks in a couple of areas, and I understand the view that Klopp might be taking a risk in trusting the key performers to maintain or improve their level as well as others making a step up. I don't know if it is with a view to keeping our powder dry for, say, next summer when we invest big again. It might be as many others say in that we can't buy big unless we sell big first. Klopp might be thinking that one or two of our important players have one year of elite-level performance left in them before they start to tail off, and he might look to sell them on while their stock is still very high next summer.

From when he arrived, Klopp has always stated that he is prepared to use the existing players at his disposal and find solutions to problems from within, before looking elsewhere for new additions. He's a coach who tries to extract the maxiimum from his players even if he has to convince some of them to do so in an unfamiliar role. That's not him towing some FSG line, but rather the way he works. He used to do that at Dortmund too, and a large part of it is that it takes players a few weeks at least to get used to the physical intensity and tactical requirements in training.

It's all speculation, but I think the bit above in bold is key to the whole thing. If that happens, we are already a much better and more effective squad than last season. It's up to the players and coaching staff to make it happen. Where the owners come into it is that they should look at the January window as important to make a move when/if the squad needs a new addition to give the others a lift or provide an added push. We seldom do business in January but we DO have previous for January additions providing that added impetus.