You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Lack of summer signings poll

Pureblood

Mistake or not?  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Mistake or not?

• Big mistake. We will pay for it as the season progresses.
    • No big deal. The squad is fine how it is.
    • I'm somewhere in the middle. Would have been nice to strengthen but we'll get by.
    • Fuck off, TK.

I'm gonna wait until the window is closed to vote but essentially I do think we will "get by", however the aim is to step up, or at least remain at the same level because that's what it will take to win something big.  So without a signing I think we'll suffer and the season will be disappointing. 

5 minutes ago, Moo said:

I'm gonna wait until the window is closed to vote but essentially I do think we will "get by", however the aim is to step up, or at least remain at the same level because that's what it will take to win something big.  So without a signing I think we'll suffer and the season will be disappointing. 

That.

But I've voted.

There's only two possible options for me: either we win the league, or it's a missed opportunity.

If we win the league, we'll be the first in history to do it without strengthening the first team squad. And I think that's unlikely. So there's only a single option I can realistically plump for.

It's never a good idea to not sign players, but I don't really care as the squad has an extremely solid base and we're not fighting time.

If you look at it in the sense that Klopp still has 3 years to go and can use that time to further strengthen an already really, really good team and win the league at some point during that time period, it's fine.

Fuck off Code.

I voted 'big mistake'. I am also not bothered. Come 10pm on Friday when Liverpool have drawn 0-0 with Norwich City having had 34 attempts at goal, I will be reading the special issue of the fanzine and watching Trent taking That Corner on loop.

Went for 3. It would have been good to strengthen with a back-up forward but I think we'll still be challenging . We should be able to cope if one of our strikers goes missing and we should be able to afford to bring in Origi or Shak on rotation and still win against most sides in the League. If we really get unlucky with two or three of our strikers going down at the same time for a significant period then we'd be fucked even with an extra back-up.  

3 for me only because it's such a mammoth task to overtake city that the only way it would be a huge mistake would be if we finished outside the top 4 which I can't see happening. 

It's a bit shit we've got ourselves into a position were we only really need to add quality incrementally for the first time in years. Next year we will undoubtedly sell one possibly two of our best players, it's a case of replacing them with top class just to try and stay at the same level. But that's next summer. 

• Upvote 1

You can’t make me conform to your choices....

I think it’s a mistake and IF we lose a couple of key players it will hurt us.

And I’m sorry but all this Sancho talk is the usual jam tomorrow. Spare me it. If Sancho and/or M’bappe are available next season there’ll be a host of clubs in a bun fight, led by Abu Dhabi FC who’ll need to replace a couple of their ageing attackers.

Still, 55 minutes left as I write....

Hoping we will be sound.....fearing we may not.

For my money i don't think the squad needs massive work, or that we need to spend a lot of money - but it does have areas that I expected us to improve on to really help us push again this year.

The first area is in attack - I am pretty concerned about the front 3 this season, because of the way things have fallen and their virtual lack of a proper pre season for us. It will IMHO mean a possible slow start from them as they pick up sharpness/catch up fitness, maybe they will even be held back and we'll have to play games early in season without 1 or more of them. 

There is a possibility of us seeing fading from them as the season wears on......we have a lot of games to potentially play, especially when we get to Christmas/New Year and this World Club lark starts and the usual busy festive period.....all 3 as i say will possibly find it hard at times due to poor pre season prep (pre season prep is something Klopp puts a lot of stock in) and due to the amount of footy they have all played over last year.

I really think the addition of a versatile forward would have been a good idea to come in as cover, play the odd game from start when one of the front 3 needs a rest, come on and see games out so we can give one of them a bit of rest in games we are cruising (or win one if it hasn't quite been happening) and of course in the unhappy event of any lengthy spell out for one of them come in a do a job.

Origi through the middle as a goal threat is decent, (not so sure when Klopp asks him to play wider) the wider spots are much less well covered IMHO...I don't want to see square pegs in there like Lallana or Oxlade and the other options don't cut it for me.

There is going to be enough minutes across all comps to go round for my money to get someone in and keep all happy....a quality addition in there for me would really help manage any problems and provide us with answers and could be crucial.

The other areas i would have looked at are the full back back ups - i know it is tricky as we have two really boss ones in the starting spots, but for me both are so integral to how we play that when either or god forbid both are missing we lose so much - the cover is just not made up of similar types, and when the cover plays we lack threat from the positions a threat that is so important to our style of play.

It isn't easy but finding a couple of pacey, attack minded full backs behind our two would have been a really good idea IMHO...maybe Klopp feels we have enough - i am not sure....even in those slots that are nailed down by the two great lads we are blessed to have on both sides i feel there would be a decent number of minutes for good (similar as can get) cover/back up.

We have a great set of lads, we did great last year - we have a great manager.....but i just can't help feel it looks like we are taking a gamble this year that i don't think we should or we need to....our stock has not been higher for many a year, we have more to aim at in terms of winning things than we have in an age....but we also face incredibly strong opposition to achieve success, with smaller than ever margins for error - one or two of the right players could have been the difference IMHO.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Lot's of TLW's Top Boys voting for Option 3 ('Would have been nice to strengthen but we'll get by.')

Option 2 ('No big deal. The squad is fine how it is.') = TLW Yacht Club 

Top Boys? Its a fucking who's who of Veet users 

The Real Men and J-V voted 'TK - Fuck Off' 

• Upvote 1