You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mignolet: I will always treasure my time with Liverpool

TLW

Simon Mignolet has spoken about the pride he had in representing Liverpool Football Club.

While the goalkeeper was a somewhat maligned figure by fans and critics, inside the four walls of Melwood, he was unanimously admired by the manager and teammates alike.

In a wide ranging interview with the Official site, the veteran who made over 200 appearances over six seasons, admitted there had been some difficult moments in his time at the Reds, but the good times are what he will remember with true happiness.

"Spending six years here, I wouldn’t have thought that was going to be the case when I started. So I’m happy about that, it’s been a great ride, with ups and downs as in any career, but I’ll only treasure the great memories and there are plenty of them.

"Obviously winning the Champions League, ranks as the highest. 

"That is why you come to Liverpool, to win trophies, so even though I didn’t feature I felt part of the team and I think the squad recognised as well my importance there in trying to push the team on to win that medal. 

"To do that was the best but there were other great moments also.

Mignolet said the opportunity to be a Number one keeper again was a key reason why he signed for Club Brugge.

"Well over the last few years now I always thought and said that I want to be playing again, that I want to be back on the pitch. 

"They were the team that wanted me the most, that pushed the most to come and get me. 

"Like yesterday, I played the game and although it was a Champions League qualifier vs first leg(vs Dynamo Kiev) and you can’t really say it’s already won, I was on the pitch and kept a clean sheet. 

GettyImages.824279336.jpg

"We won 1-0 and the feeling afterwards, that’s what I wanted again. 

" That’s why we are football players, to have that feeling again [and] to be not only important in the dressing room and being professional and pushing the lads on - I wanted to be important again on the pitch and that’s the opportunity I’ve got now, and that’s why I grasped it with my two hands.

While the Belgian has departed the Reds, the club will not be too far from his mind.

" I’ve always done that with my old teams. Sunderland and Sint-Truiden as well, I still follow the results on a weekly basis.

"I just have a look and see how they did, what the score was, and the Premier League I will always follow and will give a special vibe to my ex-teammates.

The 31 year-old also believes that this squad has what it takes to pick up plenty more silverware in the seasons ahead.

" I think the experience of winning a trophy can only push them forward, make them even more hungry to win the next one and be eager to win the next one.

"With the quality inside this dressing room, I don’t think you have to be afraid. You have to challenge for every single thing – Premier League, League Cup, FA Cup and, of course, in Europe – and I’m sure they will do that."

Finally, Mignolet spoke about what his lasting memory will be of the club and the impact that the fans have.

"It's a big family, It’s a big club in the world, the biggest thing that always struck me the most is when you go abroad and see how the club is being followed. 

"Not only with the performances on the pitch but also the connection around it, the support it gets, the following it gets. I saw that again in America when I was there and that’s really special.

" To the fans I say, just stay who you are, basically! It’s [the message is] fairly easy. 

"I think if they can continue the support that they do at this moment in time and how they have been over the last few years then I’m sure more trophies will follow and the team will only perform better because of that."

Thanks Mig for your service and good luck at your new club.

View full article

I don’t really care if players are nice guys or not, I just want them to be very good at what we are paying them to be very good at. Mignolet was not very good, and we were just an injury from having the shit show that he is in goal.

I’m relieved he’s gone, a wooden stake hammered onto the touch line would have been an improvement. At least it wouldn’t have held on to the ball for so long the ref gave a free kick, what a fucking tool.

• Upvote 1

I hope he goes on and has a decent rest of his career but he took a huge sum of money out of this club so of course he is grateful. 

If the fucking KKK sent me a cheque for 10 million quid I would gratefully accept it. Doesn't mean I would give a shit about them. 

• 1 month later...

He's running his mouth off to the press now. He was fucking gash, thank fuck he isn't the option in goal with Allison being injured. He must be fucking gutted he was pushed out of the door now. 

Mignolet has previously remained silent on his exit but has now admitted he was far from happy as his time with the Reds came to an end.   

'After pre-season, I returned with the idea: now I am going to give everything here and I get nothing in return,' he explained to Het Nieuwsblad.

'However, that was the easy option: seeing out the remaining two years at Liverpool, making good money at a top European club and being a free agent the age of 33.

'But another two years on the bench, that wasn't in me. I had been at the end of my patience for the past six or seven months.'

Prior to signing of Alisson from Roma last summer, Mignolet had failed to usurp Karius as first choice despite a series of high-profile mistakes. 

The German's infamous gaffes in the Champions League final defeat to Real Madrid in 2018 signalled the end of his time at the club but Mignolet remained on the sidelines.

Mignolet eventually reached the end of his tether and moved on to Brugge, who he says beat Crystal Palace, Bournemouth, Aston Villa, Porto and Benfica to his signature.

However, when asked if Liverpool ensured a smooth exit, he hinted that it had been anything but: 'Not difficult? I don’t dare say that,' he said.

The Belgian has since made nine appearances for Brugge and kept six clean sheets, including a 0-0 draw with Galatasaray on Wednesday night. 

Nothing wrong with that, he's right. Not sure how that's classed as 'running his mouth'.

And he wasn't pushed out of the door, they wanted him to stay but he wouldn't. He didn't want to pick up a wage and not play. Good for him.

And we did fuck him around. He was supposed to leave a year ago but the rug was pulled out from under him when Karius was so shit in pre-season that it was obvious he had to go instead.

• Upvote 5

Yeah don't see much issue there. I doubt he wanted to stay last year after Alisson was signed and we always moan about high earners refusing to move. He wanted to play, he is to good to spend his last year's on the bench and likely had to push the issue to move as I don't think the club wanted rid as he was a able number 2. He's no worse than Adrian

Just another example of the weird irrational hatred some people seem to have for him.  They can turn literally anything he says into him being a dickhead apparently.

The article is written by some complete buffoon as well.  Mignolet did “usurp” Karius after his mistakes. Mignolet made his own mistakes and Karius was given another run where he managed 6 months without making any high profile errors.  The champions league final happened and the season ended.  Karius was sold before another competitive fixture.

12 hours ago, Lee909 said:

Yeah don't see much issue there. I doubt he wanted to stay last year after Alisson was signed and we always moan about high earners refusing to move. He wanted to play, he is to good to spend his last year's on the bench and likely had to push the issue to move as I don't think the club wanted rid as he was a able number 2. He's no worse than Adrian

Are you TK in disguise?

I think Adrian is a lot better than Mignolet.

• Upvote 1

He's made 1 great save against Napoli. Other than that he's been OK, a few saves nothing spectacular, nothing disastrous. He's not been a liability but enough wobbles that he was in goal 18 months say he would make a few. 

He's a fine number 2, so was Mingolet. Neither good enough long term. 

Things started so well for Mig with that last minute pen save against Stoke and walters in that opening game. I think Mig's problem is his lack of focus for 90+ minutes in a game.

He could make a howler of a mistake, like in the League Cup Final against city then, pull off a string of excellent stops in the same game. Equally he could go the other way and start the game making excellent stops and then flapping one in like Xhaka's goal at the Emirates.

Mig did his best but it just wasnt good enough. Neither has he bad mouthed the club like the last couple of snakes who've forced their way out in recent times. Sure, he's voiced a bit which is understandable so, Ive no ill will towards him.

Thanks Mig, sorry you werent quite good enough, hope you have some good years in the twilight of your career.

• Upvote 1