You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Belfast

mattyq

Off to Belfast for a long weekend.. she wants to see the Giants Causeway and I'd like to see Lough Neagh

Anybody got any recommendations for eating, drinking and general sightseeing?

Forecast for Friday is terrible so indoor things would be good; museums, galleries and whatnot

Thank you very much

4 hours ago, mattyq said:

Off to Belfast for a long weekend.. she wants to see the Giants Causeway and I'd like to see Lough Neagh

Forecast for Friday is terrible so indoor things would be good; museums, galleries and whatnot

Thank you very much

I'm not really into museums and that, but there's a Titanic Museum that I've never been to that is apparently decent - it's at the Titanic Quarter, funnily enough. I think there are old restored boats in that area too that have museum-type things on them but don't quote me on that.

There's also the Ulster Museum, at Botanic Gardens, which I was at quite recently and is pretty good. 

There's also the Folk and Transport Museum a bit out from the city centre at Cultra. They're two separate museums - it's been years since I was at the Folk part - it might be mainly outdoor, but the Transport part is always good for a visit - old buses, trains, etc and a Delorean. 

There's the Carrick-a-Rede rope bridge which is the same general direction as the Giant's Causeway.

For drinking in and around the city centre, the Cathedral Quarter is probably your best bet. No idea about eating though. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, rotoq said:

If you're driving to Portrush stop off at the dark hedges. It's pretty much on the way anyway.

Matty whatever you do, do not fucking stop off at the dark hedges. You'll be like Marcellus Wallace and Butch within 20 minutes 

Thanks everyone for wise advice

Going to hire a car and go to Portrush and do some walking along the coast 

http://www.walkni.com/walks/186/causeway-coast-way/

Crown Liquor saloon looks boss

Staying by Uni so sure there'll be loads of eating/drinking joints and game on Friday

Think it's going to be good

Any recommended breakfast places... no beans, obviously?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, mattyq said:

Thanks everyone for wise advice

Going to hire a car and go to Portrush and do some walking along the coast 

http://www.walkni.com/walks/186/causeway-coast-way/

Crown Liquor saloon looks boss

Staying by Uni so sure there'll be loads of eating/drinking joints and game on Friday

Think it's going to be good

Any recommended breakfast places... no beans, obviously?

You're right beside the Ulster Museum then, which is free to get into. 

10 hours ago, mattyq said:

Thank you very much

I recommend you catch yourself on, so it is.

• Upvote 3

McNasties Saturday night.

The Harp for the Sunday session.

Titanic Quarter for food and suchlike.

Ain’t much culture wise if you not in to the history of flags. Genuinely the tourist information centre is listed as one of the ‘Ten best things to do in Belfast’

Belfast is a cool little city, but a bit tense in patches. Just be cool and where your commemorative ‘I love Liz’ T-shirt and you’ll be fine. 

Now away, ya basta.

18 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

The Black Taxi tour is meant to be very good for a history tour about the Troubles. 

If you are looking for excitement lash a Celtic shirt on and have a stroll up the Shankill road swinging a tin of paint. 

I've done that tour I think the one I did was Paddy Campbell's black cab tour absolutely brilliant it was 

1 hour ago, johnsusername said:

If you're going to Portrush try the Ramore. The food is great. You'll probably have to queue to get in but it moves pretty quick. 

Also Barry's amusements would make you think you've gone back in time to your childhood - for good and bad. 

Is that the place overlooking the beach? It's ace.

On 06/08/2019 at 17:44, Bjornebye said:

The Black Taxi tour is meant to be very good for a history tour about the Troubles. 

If you are looking for excitement lash a Celtic shirt on and have a stroll up the Shankill road swinging a tin of paint. 

Don't be giving away your regular weekend habits.

Belfast was fantastic... I'd say I prefer it to Dublin

The best bit was the Antrim Coastline which was magnificent.

Portrush was lovely and the Giant's Causeway ace. Ropebridge was evil 

Drove back along the coastal route to Larne which has to be amongst the best drives in the UK

Stopped off at a little village called Waterfoot which is at the bottom of Glen Arriff and had a fine fish and chips on the beach... outstanding

People all friendly and helpful

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, mattyq said:

Belfast was fantastic... I'd say I prefer it to Dublin

The best bit was the Antrim Coastline which was magnificent.

Portrush was lovely and the Giant's Causeway ace. Ropebridge was evil 

Drove back along the coastal route to Larne which has to be amongst the best drives in the UK

Stopped off at a little village called Waterfoot which is at the bottom of Glen Arriff and had a fine fish and chips on the beach... outstanding

People all friendly and helpful

Did you not try my Shankill Road suggestion? Charming.