You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Adriàn

33 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

I'm I the only person on this forum who thinks most goalies are terrible? There's a couple of really good ones in each top flight league, a few decent ones and then normally about a dozen or so of varying degrees of shit. 

I agree. Most of them are fucking shit

35 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

I'm I the only person on this forum who thinks most goalies are terrible? There's a couple of really good ones in each top flight league, a few decent ones and then normally about a dozen or so of varying degrees of shit. 

The best ones are the ones who don't often make mistakes or the ones who empower your style of play. The majority of goalkeepers seem to be pretty interchangeable. Not much difference in quality. 

I love that some people still think you're going to get a back up keeper that's a tad below Alisson's level but still capable of turning in Alissonesque performances every game he's call upon.

On the whole, Adrian has done well. Yeah, he's had a few gaffes, anyone remember alisson's dribble at Leicester last season? Adrian has made more and in the main, we got away with it. The defeat against Atletico was all the most disappointing because Alisson didnt play and Adrian had one of those games where he was punished.

It was a big game and it cost us but anyone who thinks we could replace him with another backup that will do better when called on for the next 4 or 5 seasons Alisson's going to be here is, in my opinion, going to be disappointed.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

It was a big game and it cost us but anyone who thinks we could replace him with another backup that will do better when called on for the next 4 or 5 seasons Alisson's going to be here is, in my opinion, going to be disappointed.

No chance I want Adrian here for even a couple more years. Not so much down to his quality, more his age.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

The best ones are the ones who don't often make mistakes or the ones who empower your style of play. The majority of goalkeepers seem to be pretty interchangeable. Not much difference in quality. 

But they all make mistakes and aside from the very best, they make them quite often. This is my point. Just watching motd each week shows that. Then some can make mistakes and it doesn't mess with their heads - we've suffered with karius and ming (and years ago, David James) where you knew one mistake would lead to another. 

It's really tough for keepers like Adrian who get very few chances and they've spent most of their careers in teams where they're constantly involved, then we ask a fella who's not really used to playing for 90 mins, then expect him to have then concentration levels of one of the world's best like Alisson even though we have 75% of possession. Then we go into extra time. He may not have a failing body at the point, but for sure he'll have a failing mind and concentrating will be really tough. 

The top and bottom of it is Adrian is a bit shit - that's why we got him for free in August. Then we make it hard for him by making him a part time keeper. Frankly we've only got to look across the park and see Everton and England's number 1. He fucks up all the time and if he'd have been our sub keeper this season, I doubt he'd have performed much better than Adrian. 

13 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

But they all make mistakes and aside from the very best, they make them quite often. This is my point. Just watching motd each week shows that. Then some can make mistakes and it doesn't mess with their heads - we've suffered with karius and ming (and years ago, David James) where you knew one mistake would lead to another. 

It's really tough for keepers like Adrian who get very few chances and they've spent most of their careers in teams where they're constantly involved, then we ask a fella who's not really used to playing for 90 mins, then expect him to have then concentration levels of one of the world's best like Alisson even though we have 75% of possession. Then we go into extra time. He may not have a failing body at the point, but for sure he'll have a failing mind and concentrating will be really tough. 

The top and bottom of it is Adrian is a bit shit - that's why we got him for free in August. Then we make it hard for him by making him a part time keeper. Frankly we've only got to look across the park and see Everton and England's number 1. He fucks up all the time and if he'd have been our sub keeper this season, I doubt he'd have performed much better than Adrian. 

Which is my point. They're almost all interchangeable. 

I think keepers in particular are given way too much credit when they're good and way too much criticism when they're bad. Lauded to the heavens for making a lucky save with the ball basically hitting them and ridiculed when a punch doesn't clear everything or a clearance goes out of play. The way goalkeepers are talked about is really weird.  

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

Which is my point. They're almost all interchangeable. 

I think keepers in particular are given way too much credit when they're good and way too much criticism when they're bad. Lauded to the heavens for making a lucky save with the ball basically hitting them and ridiculed when a punch doesn't clear everything or a clearance goes out of play. The way goalkeepers are talked about is really weird.  

Alisson deserves all the credit he gets in my opinion, he's different class to almost anything out there. As for the rest, sticking with the Everton example, when he makes a save, I just think about time. It was the same with our last 2 keepers, they'd have a couple of good games and make the odd safe and all of a.sidden people thought they were great. But the next fuck up was always just round the corner. As I said at the start, most keepers are shite. 

4 hours ago, Barry Wom said:

Great news if true! I’m off to get myself a pair of gloves and boots. A couple of months hard training and I expect to sign a contract with a half decent club. I’d settle for a mid table side, should still be able to get 20 grand a week which is decent compared to my current job. Should be more fun too.

25 minutes ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

Great news if true! I’m off to get myself a pair of gloves and boots. A couple of months hard training and I expect to sign a contract with a half decent club. I’d settle for a mid table side, should still be able to get 20 grand a week which is decent compared to my current job. Should be more fun too.

You'd probably shape up no worse than karius. 

21 hours ago, Barry Wom said:

I think this is a bit harsh given how the technology in the game has been done to make goals more likely. Lighter,more swerving and moveable footballs make it very difficult for goalkeepers along with managers expecting keepers to play it out from the back. This is great for teams who play on carpets but most lower and non league clubs dont play on great surfaces themselves. I think its a bit harsh on keepers in general.

10 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I think this is a bit harsh given how the technology in the game has been done to make goals more likely. Lighter,more swerving and moveable footballs make it very difficult for goalkeepers along with managers expecting keepers to play it out from the back. This is great for teams who play on carpets but most lower and non league clubs dont play on great surfaces themselves. I think its a bit harsh on keepers in general.

They need to save more shots then, the shit cunts! 

On 26/03/2020 at 16:06, Barry Wom said:

Alisson deserves all the credit he gets in my opinion, he's different class to almost anything out there. As for the rest, sticking with the Everton example, when he makes a save, I just think about time. It was the same with our last 2 keepers, they'd have a couple of good games and make the odd safe and all of a.sidden people thought they were great. But the next fuck up was always just round the corner. As I said at the start, most keepers are shite. 

I don't think most of them are shite but there are a select few who have taken goalkeeping to the next level and left the rest behind. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, TK421 said:

I don't think most of them are shite but there are a select few who have taken goalkeeping to the next level and left the rest behind. 

Maybe your definition of shite is different to mine, but get out of the top league and most of them look like a kids team situation where they couldn't get picked to play in the outfield and just got stuck in goal. The bottom dozen in the premier league could just as easily be playing for Accrington Stanley with just a bit of different luck. We've not been arsed about bringing in Adrian who couldn't get a club and Andy lonergan. Basically, just get a couple of fellas who own a pair of goalie gloves and hope Alisson stay fit. And if he doesn't the other 2 won't be any worse than what we used as 1st choice for 5 years. 

2 hours ago, Barry Wom said:

Maybe your definition of shite is different to mine, but get out of the top league and most of them look like a kids team situation where they couldn't get picked to play in the outfield and just got stuck in goal. The bottom dozen in the premier league could just as easily be playing for Accrington Stanley with just a bit of different luck. We've not been arsed about bringing in Adrian who couldn't get a club and Andy lonergan. Basically, just get a couple of fellas who own a pair of goalie gloves and hope Alisson stay fit. And if he doesn't the other 2 won't be any worse than what we used as 1st choice for 5 years. 

I think there are one or two decent goalies outside the top tier.  I like Dean Henderson a lot and think he's a big reason Sheffield United are doing so well, relatively speaking.

Completely agree about Adrian, I think he's substandard and goes down as one of Klopp's worst signings if not the worst. 

29 minutes ago, TK421 said:

I think there are one or two decent goalies outside the top tier.  I like Dean Henderson a lot and think he's a big reason Sheffield United are doing so well, relatively speaking.

Completely agree about Adrian, I think he's substandard and goes down as one of Klopp's worst signings if not the worst. 

I think Henderson is the normal exception of a keeper coming through, he'll either end up back in Salford or he'll be at a better club than sheff United next season imo. And even if he stays there, he won't be their player. 

2 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

I think Henderson is the normal exception of a keeper coming through, he'll either end up back in Salford or he'll be at a better club than sheff United next season imo. And even if he stays there, he won't be their player. 

Yes, I think he'll be snapped up too. 

35 minutes ago, TK421 said:

Henderson made a real gaff for our goal at Sheffield. How many gaffs has de gea made the last couple of seasons?

15 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

On the Continent?

Sheffield United are kind of top 6 in England.