You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Adriàn

38 minutes ago, magicrat said:

Factual comment. Adrian has set the bar quite high unlike Mig and Karius .  Pressure is on Allison to hit the ground running on his return. 

I think in Jurgen's mind, it's more a question that while Alisson will be fit, he might not be match 'sharp' for immediate restoration. But of course, he's only going to get that sharpness playing games.

It's also good that  Jurgen and us now have that little bit of luxury of asking himself the question if he needs to make an immediate change.

The question of, does Jurgen sling him straight back into the first team, might not be so clear cut in those circumstances especially as Adrian has performed well.

There's no doubting Alisson's quality but would Jurgen risk re instating him immediately if the medical department and physios declare him fit and the oppos are United on 20 October? He might decide to ease him in against Ghenk after a long time out instead.

What is clear is Adrian has looked more comfortable between the sticks the longer his run of games has gone on. Hopefully, he is still like that when he's been sat on the bench for weeks and has to be called into action again if, heaven forbid, Alisson picks up another injury.

Whichever way Jurgen plays it, I really dont think we have much concern.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, dockers_strike said:

I think in Jurgen's mind, it's more a question that while Alisson will be fit, he might not be match 'sharp' for immediate restoration. But of course, he's only going to get that sharpness playing games.

It's also good that  Jurgen and us now has that little luxury of asking himself the question if he needs to makean immediate change.

The question of, does Jurgen sling him straight back into the first team, might not be so clear cut in those circumstances especially as Adrian has performed well.

There's no doubting Alisson's quality but would Jurgen risk re instating him immediately if the medical department and physiosdeclare him fit and the oppos are United on 20 October? He might decide to ease him in against Ghenk after a long time out instead.

What is clear is Adrian has looked more comfortable between the sticks the longer his run of games has gone on. Hopefully, he is still like that when he's been sat on the bench for weeks and has to be called into action again if, heaven forbid, Alisson picks up another injury.

Whichever way Jurgen plays it, I really dont think we have much concern.

Nah I'm not overly concerned either.  Maybe he'll put Allison back in a domestic cup game depending when he's ready 

Everything's relative. While Allisson is out, I, for one, have had a whole lot more confidence in Adrian in goal than I would have had, if Mignolet was still there. Granted, a penalty shootout save to win a trophy may have a hand in angling a bias, but there's more to it than that.

Adrian has the composure and confidence in himself that Mignolet doesn't have, and never has had, as far as I can recall. He's a lovely bloke in everything I've seen of him, but he's always come across as being afraid of his own shadow once he steps on the field. Even making a great save never seemed to have a lasting effect, as he'd still seem as fragile in confidence the next time he'd be called upon. For most of the time he was here, he was damned by the association of Skrtel and Lovren. The Three Stooges were never far from calamity. He may have been better with better defenders in front before the die was cast, or he may not. The evidence doesn't look wonderful.

Adrian has a lot of self-confidence and is far more assured in himself and his abilities. Of course it helps to have the best central defender in the world in front of you, and a reinvigorated reborn Matip alongside him. Trent and Robbo make up the very dynamic back four. There have been less clean sheets, but of those goals conceded, how many can be attributed to Adrian alone, and how many to the collective defensive unit? The Southampton goal gifted to Ings was purely his fault. but none of the goals conceded has resulted in any loss of points. 

When the time comes for Alisson to return, it will be because he's the best keeper in the world, not because Adrian has fucked up or being dropped for a run of bad form. Being the confident and secure person that he is, Adrian will know this and accept it with good grace, and be thankful for the great run he's had as his backup. He's already cemented his place in the fans hearts and minds, give or take a TK421 or two, and they'll give him a rousing reception any time he takes the gloves, in League or FA Cup games, knowing he'll be up tot he task.

• Upvote 1

On 28/09/2019 at 17:10, Captain Howdy said:

Adrian has been superb and has earned the shirt, end of

End of what? You do realise Jurgen is the boss, right? It's obvious Alisson will be back as soon as he's ready. He has been decent, and it's an inspired replacement for Mignolet, but he has had a handful of games; Alisson doesn't lose his position because of a short injury. Come on, man. 

Adrian has been excellent since Alisson's injury, but I wonder how much we miss Alisson's communication at the back.

One of the best things about Alisson is how well he communicates to and organizes the defense. With Adrian only having been here a short time, and not having been here for any of the preseason, I wonder how much of our defensive shakiness is down to a lack of communication from the back.

It's easy to forget he came on against Norwich 4 days after he signed his contract (yes, I understand he was likely here on trial for a couple of weeks before that).

On 28/09/2019 at 17:16, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

When did Klopp’s judgement become sacrosanct? Useless cunt thinks Origi is worth a squad place.

I think he's earned his second chance. Recovering from his injury and forcing Klopp into using him as an important stand in is commendable. Yes he's not as polished as our regular front three but as a back up and regular scorer he's worth a squad place. I think Klopp respects his attitude to adversity,eg his injury and loans, too.

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I think he's earned his second chance. Recovering from his injury and forcing Klopp into using him as an important stand in is commendable. Yes he's not as polished as our regular front three but as a back up and regular scorer he's worth a squad place. I think Klopp respects his attitude to adversity,eg his injury and loans, too.

Something something oxo cube.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Origi is still at the club due to a lack of funds, not one other reason. 

40 minutes ago, Grinch said:

Origi is still at the club due to a lack of funds, not one other reason.

That makes no sense. Leaving aside the debate on his quality or otherwise, his European heroics probably made him a £40m striker in the summer. Maybe more, given that Iwobi went for £34m.

Surely he was worth more to us sold if we only kept him for economic reasons? We could have kept Wilson and talked up Brewster even more.

1 hour ago, El Rojo said:

That makes no sense. Leaving aside the debate on his quality or otherwise, his European heroics probably made him a £40m striker in the summer. Maybe more, given that Iwobi went for £34m.

Surely he was worth more to us sold if we only kept him for economic reasons? We could have kept Wilson and talked up Brewster even more.

Grinch in "talking shite on the FF" shocker.

• Upvote 1

If that's the last time we see him in the league for a while, it's not a bad way to sign off at all.  The one-on-one with Vardy, in particular, was superb.

Here's hoping he gets a Premier League winner's medal at the end of the season, because his contribution to 8 wins out of 8 certainly suggests he's earned it.

• Upvote 5

6 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

If that's the last time we see him in the league for a while, it's not a bad way to sign off at all.  The one-on-one with Vardy, in particular, was superb.

Here's hoping he gets a Premier League winner's medal at the end of the season, because his contribution to 8 wins out of 8 certainly suggests he's earned it.

I was screaming for him to get to Vardy's feet after his first touch. He has done well but we need Ali back, his communication and reassurance has been missed at times.

We have a needed due to emergency when straight through the door back-up goalkeeper who’s seen us through 12 games, 11 of which we’ve come out on top in. Not good enough for their goal today but still made several good interventions at other times.

You’re not getting much better than this from a back-up keeper, he’s a clear improvement in games on Mignolet let alone Karius, and now hands the gloves back with not a single point dropped in the league at the second international break.

Anyone expecting more than that from him when Alisson pulled up half an hour into the opening league fixture of the season, almost certainly watches games in a full kit with their initials on their chest and a whistle round their neck, truth be told.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, No2 said:

I was screaming for him to get to Vardy's feet after his first touch. He has done well but we need Ali back, his communication and reassurance has been missed at times.

Absolutely. Alisson is the best goalkeeper in the world.

But Adrian isn't a replacement for Alisson: he's a replacement for Mignolet.  I just doubt we'd be looking at 24 points if we had to rely on the pear salesman as our second-choice.

1 hour ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

He got very lucky with the Vardy chance. He hesitated and Vardy should have done much better.

I've not seen close ups of the goal and not sure if there were any deflections.

He's done very well otherwise, but as most of us would agree, it will be good to have Alisson back in goal given our upcoming fixtures.