You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

La Liga Draft - The Final

Bjornebye

1 Pick  

12 members have voted

1. 1. La Liga Champions

I can't vote for myself obviously and have just seen that 2 people have already voted for Lee. I think his side is the weakest in the final. 

I've already done a write up on every side in the groups so I am going to go with Alex. If Elite had Zambrotta on the right then he would have had my vote. I still think Rapey beats all these sides except mine obviously. 

My XI from the players in the 5 teams that have made it to the final, (clear enough Col?), are:

Based on a 4-2-3-1 formation, which 4 of the 5 finalists look like they are deploying.

1767554_Scotland.jpg

Doesn't make voting for a winner any clearer...

More time to think needed.

Guest Alex_K

That's probably a pretty accurate team - other than Ayala (a CB who people are overly nostalgic about -- never scooped up by a European titan and you'll be v hard pressed to find an all-time Argentinian list that has him ahead of Ruggeri or Passarella) & Makelele (who didn't make his own national side in his prime). Would actually takes Busquets ahead of Makelele.

24 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

That's probably a pretty accurate team - other than Ayala (a CB who people are overly nostalgic about -- never scooped up by a European titan and you'll be v hard pressed to find an all-time Argentinian list that has him ahead of Ruggeri or Passarella) & Makelele (who didn't make his own national side in his prime). Would actually takes Busquets ahead of Makelele.

Opinions, eh?

Ruggeri only played 1 season for Real Madrid when the rest of La Liga was lacking in overall quality.

Passarella played for Fiorentina & Inter during the 80s when Serie A was probably the best league in the world, but was unable to help either side win anything, so would either club be called a "European titan" at that time or indeed ever?

Ayala spent 3 seasons at Napoli before moving to AC Milan (European titan, no?) where it didn't work out for him. He then moved to Valencia who he helped to a Champions League final, a UEFA Cup victory, as well as winning La Liga (twice) during the period of the Real Madrid Galacticos.

Internationally, Ayala captained his country for 63 games (a national record), and played 115 games in total (4th overall in Argentine history).

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that Ruggeri and Passarella were not good players, because they were excellent players, but for me, Ayala is my pick of the 3.

EDIT: Oh, and Makelele over Busquets every day of the week, and twice on a Saturday. I'm not a fan of the whining, diving, cheating Busquests... (He is a good player though).

I should acknowledge the international achievements of both Passarella & Ruggeri, as both were part of World Cup winning sides (Passarella twice), while Ayala was only a quarter finalist (though did make the team of the tournament in 2006).

I'm still taking Ayala of the 3 though.

2 minutes ago, Dynamite said:

I should acknowledge the international achievements of both Passarella & Ruggeri, as both were part of World Cup winning sides (Passarella twice), while Ayala was only a quarter finalist (though did make the team of the tournament in 2006).

I'm still taking Ayala of the 3 though.

Ayala was a great player but having him over Passarella is like having Keegan over Kenny. 

Thing is most of Passarells success was early in Argentina and in the 78 world cup which was corrupt as fuck. But other than success in Argentina(national titles oy, no Copa Libertadores he didn't achieve much

Undoubtedly a good player but at 5'8 and primarily a sweeper over a CB he wasn't a great fit for me. 

Much like some of my own(though they achieved multiple European Cups) he wasn't seen week in week out

20 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Ayala was a great player but having him over Passarella is like having Keegan over Kenny

I wouldn't be having one over the other, I'd be having both...

Besides, Passarella was not eligible for this draft, so my opinion remains unchanged.

I'm having Ayala of the 3.

3 hours ago, Dynamite said:

My XI from the players in the 5 teams that have made it to the final, (clear enough Col?), are:

Based on a 4-2-3-1 formation, which 4 of the 5 finalists look like they are deploying.

1767554_Scotland.jpg

Doesn't make voting for a winner any clearer...

More time to think needed.

Pretty much agree, but I’d have Puyol instead of Ayala (not even close) and maybe Zubizarreta over Fillol. In my opinion, it doesn’t feel right to have an all-time La Liga XI that doesn’t include Di Stefano.

20 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

In my opinion, it doesn’t feel right to have an all-time La Liga XI that doesn’t include Di Stefano.

You're right, it does feel strange, but who does he get in ahead of in that formation?

Unfortunately, I don't think there's room for him unless you went full on attack in a 4-1-4-1, with Di Stefano replacing Makelele and playing alongside El Diego in a midfield role?

P.S. I'm still picking Ayala...