You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Joe Gomez

Oh Buoy

There's always an idiot slagging off a player who gets injured and out for a while. I think Joe's great at centre back, not so good at right back but there again, he's being compared to Trent.

He's had two lengthy spells out where the club fucked up in my opinion. They said give it time in both instances, that ankle injury and his broken leg before deciding he needed an op on each.

Lad next to me in the SKD Upper reckons Joe had an attitude problem which was why he wasnt in the team. Why do people make up this stuff?

Think all three 'other' central defenders have done well & not sure why Lovren is being denigrated.

All things being equal it would obviously be good for us for Gomez to replicate his form of last year and add a sheen of injury resistance , leaving Joel as number 3 and Dejan can literally go in the summer.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Think all three 'other' central defenders have done well & not sure why Lovren is being denigrated.

All things being equal it would obviously be good for us for Gomez to replicate his form of last year and add a sheen of injury resistance , leaving Joel as number 3 and Dejan can literally go in the summer.

I wouldn't be ditching Lovren unless he's replaced.  We need a min 4 CB's in the first team squad and preferably experienced ones.

• Upvote 1

On 31/12/2019 at 17:09, scudger99 said:

It wasn't elaborated on, but it was someone who knows his family.  Klopp and the club were 100% behind Joe all the way and it was deliberately kept out of the limelight.  It was only mentioned around the time of the Sterling incident as it was more shit that Joe just didn't need on his plate at the time.

So now I have a special little place in my heart for Sterling.......the utterly despicable whining attention seeking cowardly cunt.

Matip pairs up really well with Van Dijk (who doesn't ?) but it's definitely noticable that when Joe gets back into his groove alongside the big Dutchman our defence suddenly stops conceding goals.  I have to scratch my head in bewilderment when some fuckwits on here slag the guy off.

Stig's a cunt isn't he?

On 31/12/2019 at 17:09, scudger99 said:

It wasn't elaborated on, but it was someone who knows his family.  Klopp and the club were 100% behind Joe all the way and it was deliberately kept out of the limelight.  It was only mentioned around the time of the Sterling incident as it was more shit that Joe just didn't need on his plate at the time.

So now I have a special little place in my heart for Sterling.......the utterly despicable whining attention seeking cowardly cunt.

Matip pairs up really well with Van Dijk (who doesn't ?) but it's definitely noticable that when Joe gets back into his groove alongside the big Dutchman our defence suddenly stops conceding goals.  I have to scratch my head in bewilderment when some fuckwits on here slag the guy off.

To be fair Matip wasn’t exactly at fault for many goals was he? Agree on all the rest, especially that T-Rex faux Saint and some of the comments about Gomez on here. 

15 hours ago, magicrat said:

I wouldn't be ditching Lovren unless he's replaced.  We need a min 4 CB's in the first team squad and preferably experienced ones.

All of the talk was that he would be going this summer and that gives Edwards / Klopp the time to decide their plan to cover the gap. I would prefer a fresh face personally as I think Hoever will need easing in via full back and Van Den Berg looks miles away at this stage. 

2 minutes ago, sir roger said:

All of the talk was that he would be going this summer and that gives Edwards / Klopp the time to decide their plan to cover the gap. I would prefer a fresh face personally as I think Hoever will need easing in via full back and Van Den Berg looks miles away at this stage. 

Agree but I still wouldn’t be ditching Lovren unless we brought in a CB with experience 

I dont agree Joe is prone to injury. He'd been out for 2 lengthy spells because the club's medical department fucked up deeming both his ankle injury and broken leg just needed time. Then they decided after ages he needed an op in both circumstances.

Anyway, I dont think it's a coincidence we've now kept 5 clean sheets since Joe, Virgil and Alisson are all playing together again.

And Joe needs a song as well. Make it so!

7 hours ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

To be fair Matip wasn’t exactly at fault for many goals was he? Agree on all the rest, especially that T-Rex faux Saint and some of the comments about Gomez on here. 

Matip is fucking brilliant mate.  Utterly ridiculous that we got him on a free.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

I dont agree Joe is prone to injury. He'd been out for 2 lengthy spells because the club's medical department fucked up deeming both his ankle injury and broken leg just needed time. Then they decided after ages he needed an op in both circumstances.

Anyway, I dont think it's a coincidence we've now kept 5 clean sheets since Joe, Virgil and Alisson are all playing together again.

And Joe needs a song as well. Make it so!

Statistically, Gomez is van dijks best partner for clean sheets. Sample size is smaller than either lov or matip but the clean sheets speak for themselves. And,as we're coming into a bit of a hectic period squad wise, having the ability to keep a clean sheet is a huge bonus as we then only need a single goal to grind out wins

• Upvote 1

On 09/12/2019 at 13:32, lebron said:

Agree with this. Lovren has done well, but the upside of playing Gomez is immense. We can keep the higher line with better success, and he's better equipped to deal with the quicker attackers. His positioning at cb is much better than at rb, and I think he'll thrive with the extra responsibility as well.

Tonight being one of the occasions where that extra responsibility seemed to spur him on.

He's been arguably better than Vvd since he came back in at CB, long may his success continue!