You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Joe Gomez

Oh Buoy

• 7 months later...

He's had some ropey games in 2020, but at Villa he completely wilted. It was like Lovren against Spurs 3 years ago where his confidence was shot to pieces and even simple passes were going astray and inviting trouble. He looked like the wanted to come off the pitch and it was no surprise when he was hooked. I don't like to single out players for criticism like this but Gomez's form is a real cause for concern. Someone needs to find the 'On' switch again.

4 minutes ago, Trumo said:

He's had some ropey games in 2020, but at Villa he completely wilted. It was like Lovren against Spurs 3 years ago where his confidence was shot to pieces and even simple passes were going astray and inviting trouble. He looked like the wanted to come of the pitch and it was no surprise when he was hooked. I don't like to single out players for criticism like this but Gomez's form is a real cause for concern. Someone needs to find the 'On' switch again.

Hope he can recover from this, as he’s clearly a talented player. Good defenders have bad games too. Vidic has a number of stinkers against us. Virgil played in that game where we trashed Southampton 6-1. Lovren had that game against Spurs. It’s how you react from here. From everything I’ve read about him he’s a good egg, so I’m hopeful he’ll learn from this experience.

5 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Hope he can recover from this, as he’s clearly a talented player. Good defenders have bad games too. Vidic has a number of stinkers against us. Virgil played in that game where we trashed Southampton 6-1. Lovren had that game against Spurs. It’s how you react from here. From everything I’ve read about him he’s a good egg, so I’m hopeful he’ll learn from this experience.

Vidic was destroyed by peak Torres. Lovren by Kane.

Ollie fucking Watkins, though...

17 minutes ago, J-V said:

Really disappointed with him.  I think he a quality player fuck knows what has happened since the lockdown was lifted.

Wonder if the stick he got over the sterling incident has had an effect on him. He was top notch until the hoarding accident. 

38 minutes ago, J-V said:

Really disappointed with him.  I think he a quality player fuck knows what has happened since the lockdown was lifted.

His main atteibute is his pace. Passing has improved, but still very inconsistent and gives it away far too often. Positioning is average, and he’s not good enough in the air. Like the others he’s been helped by the presence of Van Dijk besides him, it’s been clear for a long time that a new top class CB would improve the squad, preferrably a young player on the way up but already good enough to challenge for a starting place.

6 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

He needs time out but for who? Fabinho didn't cover himself with glory either. We have three centre backs at the moment, with one made of custard and the other one a crisis of confidence.

We’ve needed a new CB for a long time, and it’s been discussed on here for at least a year, It’s bad enough now Gomez is off his best form and Matip is injured. Imagine what would happen if Van Dijk got injured.

I'm a huge Gómez fan but at 23, he's still very young for a centre half and there's immense pressure for him to perform every game. Maybe the Sterling incident as was mentioned above has affected him. He we as poor in the first half against Leeds but brilliant second half.

He may find some relief being taken out for a few games but given the lack of centre halves at the club, how long do you leave him out for? 

It was a complete horror show tonight and we can only hope that its very much a one off.

Not the greatest game or time for a game against the bitters, especially with Adrian in goals, but you don't turn into a bad team overnight.

A change in formation could help also in giving opposition teams a few new problems to think about, given they've all had 3to4 years data to scrutinise against us.

12 minutes ago, liverpoolsno9 said:

That’s like saying, Michael Owen was never particularly good them 1sr few years, his pace got him them goals. 

Owen’s pace made him chances some he scored some he didn’t. Gomez’s pace covers a lot of his mistakes but not all. Gomez is not good in the air or positionally in my mind. His pace cannot help him if he is miles out of position and it cannot help his aerial ability. If Gomez all round game was as good as his pace he would be world class.  Owen still scored goals when his pace went, Will Joe be able to make up for errors when his does. He can get better, he hopefully will. He is nowhere near the player some think he is. Matip is better. But what do I know. Fuck all probably.

Klopps subs didn't help last night. Minamino and Jones weren't the right changes for the problem we had. Hendo and Millie would have been better choices. We needed some experience and steel to protect the back four - protect them in a tactical sense and protect their confidence too.

14 minutes ago, Jennings said:

Klopps subs didn't help last night. Minamino and Jones weren't the right changes for the problem we had. Hendo and Millie would have been better choices. We needed some experience and steel to protect the back four - protect them in a tactical sense and protect their confidence too.

At 4-1 down and Adrian in goal it wouldn't have helped whoever he brought on. Let's also be honest and say that while you are sometimes unlucky to concede the odd deflected goal,three in one game is simply ridiculous and particularly the type Villa scored.

• Upvote 1

He had a nightmare, but whoever plays RCB has to fill the void left by Trent defensively. Gomez is frequently in the RB position, which drags VVD across. Without Henderson on the pitch, it becomes far worse.

When the midfield isn't on it, he tries to run out and engage too much, getting left in no man's land.

A game or two of slightly more caution around him would do him the world of good.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Butch said:

Wonder if the stick he got over the sterling incident has had an effect on him. He was top notch until the hoarding accident. 

Good point. He looked like a world beater up until then. Maybe getting booed by the England fans for the incident with the snake did get to him? If so, maybe someone should have a word with him and tell him that England fans are nellies, and should always be treated with the utmost contempt.

The thing I noticed about him, before the brain-farts, is just how much of an unhappy figure he cuts. He looks like he would rather be anywhere else than on a football pitch. His celebrations are muted and he looks like he's struggling with something. Maybe his mental health hasn't been good for a few months, and there were rumours last season of off the pitch worries. No need for speculation but, whatever the reasons I hope he is ok; and I'm sure Klopp will be giving him the right guidance and support.