You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Joe Gomez

Oh Buoy

• 5 weeks later...
1 minute ago, dockers_strike said:

I think Joe's been impervious since he came back into the team. We've stopped conceeding and been keeping cleansheets again. And the daft thing is, Joe is the lowest paid out of our current back 4 plus Matip and Lovren by some distance.

He was poor for a few games whilst he got back to match fitness but once he did, he's been outstanding. I like VVD/Matip partnership but VVD/Gomez is a level above as the clean sheets have proven.

45 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

I think Joe's been impervious since he came back into the team. We've stopped conceeding and been keeping cleansheets again. And the daft thing is, Joe is the lowest paid out of our current back 4 plus Matip and Lovren by some distance.

Why do you give so much of a shit how much they are paid man?  

10 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

He'll be especially handy for games where it rains.

• Upvote 4

18 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

I think you meant imperious however have a smile here cause impervious works also !!!!  

• Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...

I think we missed Joe's pace, calmness and ability to read situations last night. Impossible to say the result would have been different with him in defence as the team hasn't played particularly well for a few weeks, but I do feel that Joe gives the team more completeness and confidence when he plays. For me it's hard to believe he's only 22 and given the early long term injury problems he had in his career it is a credit to his mentality and a demonstration of his talent that he is arguably our second best defender and one of the best defenders in the league at such a young age. He has played 34 PL games over the past two seasons and we haven't lost any of them.

• Upvote 2

Guest Alex_K
2 hours ago, RedPaul said:

Impossible to say the result would have been different with him in defence as the team hasn't played particularly well for a few weeks

He has played 34 PL games over the past two seasons and we haven't lost any of them.

Its not impossible to say that then. Statistically when Gomez plays we are absolutely off the charts. 18 games, 4 goals conceded this season. 16 games, 4 goals conceded last season. That isn't luck or anything else - he's the perfect centre back for our system. Players make games.

There seemed to be a train of thought among some yesterday that "Lovren didn't force the rest of the defence to play badly". Its not about that - its about his whole impact on the system. If there's one type of player we do struggle coming up against it is the Zaha/Traore/now-Sarr mould. Quick wide players who exploit the space. What a fucking double whammy that it had to be this game where the sluggish Lovren came in for the quickest centre back in the league. It fucks with how our full backs play. It fucks with how Van Dijk plays. Gomez is possibly the most under-rated CB the league has seen in many years -- he's Ledley King amped up & the best English centre back since the mid 00s. Van Dijk & Gomez in defence and you can pretty much guarantee Deeney does fuck all in that game.

3 hours ago, RedPaul said:

I think we missed Joe's pace, calmness and ability to read situations last night. Impossible to say the result would have been different with him in defence as the team hasn't played particularly well for a few weeks, but I do feel that Joe gives the team more completeness and confidence when he plays. For me it's hard to believe he's only 22 and given the early long term injury problems he had in his career it is a credit to his mentality and a demonstration of his talent that he is arguably our second best defender and one of the best defenders in the league at such a young age. He has played 34 PL games over the past two seasons and we haven't lost any of them.

I feel Joe has outplayed Virgil the last 5 or so games and I really rate him. We conceeded 2 goals against a shite West Ham who really should have scored more but thankfully didnt.

It's been a great run and I thought it was going to end on Monday night but we got out of jail again.