You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Joe Gomez

Oh Buoy

9 minutes ago, mgw100 said:

How good was Joe last night? His pace is massively important to cover for Trent's marauding runs. Some great blocks too. I am a big fan of Matip but Joe is reminding me what we've been missing.

Just like Matip, and most other players, Gomez obviously has taken a few games to settle and reaching full match fitness and sharpness. Now he seems on a different level than only a couple of weeks ago. Watching from the stand yesterday he was my man of the match, impressive display.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, mgw100 said:

How good was Joe last night? His pace is massively important to cover for Trent's marauding runs. Some great blocks too. I am a big fan of Matip but Joe is reminding me what we've been missing.

I think there is a valid argument that he needs his pace as he doesnt read the game as well as Matip therefore Matip doesnt need to be as eye catching with last ditch tackles and so on.

Guest Pistonbroke

Gomez has certainly upped his game over the last few weeks and it's good to see. Kind of proves the point he's a confidence player, so hopefully he carries on fighting to keep his place in the team when all are fit. 

36 minutes ago, J-V said:

I thought Gomez was excellent as he was against Leicester.

Yep. No surprise that we are back to being so stingy at the back with him and Van Dijk. It seems a great partnership. I really like Matip, too. He's an excellent player and forms a decent partnership. Though I'd stick with Gomez for as long as he is fit. It has taken him a while to come back from that horrendous injury but he seems to be back on it now. The pace at the back is huge. 

He's been really good in the last few games.  I'd like to see him stay fit and in the team for the rest of the season, providing he retains his current form.  I think he could turn out to be one of the best CBs we've had - he's got at least 12 more years in that position, health permitting. He's mature beyond his years, and he's playing in his natural position.  All good.

Last Saturday’s Times newspaper printed the answers to various questions from a prominent supporter of each Premiership club.

One of the questions was: Which of your teams players needs to improve?

The LFC representative answered, Joe Gomez.

The name of this disgrace to the cause was none other than Dave Usher.

Feel free to neg away next time next time he posts.

Shocking journalism at its worst.

• Upvote 4

I was worried that Gomez's performances early last season was just a purple patch or due to VVD being able to make anyone that plays next to him look good but in the last 2 games in particular he's been our best defender and we've kept back to back clean sheets.

On this form Gomez is first choice to play with Virgil, even when Matips fit.