You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Joe Gomez

Oh Buoy

• 1 month later...

How many bookings in the PL this season has Joe got?

It must be at least hree because he got another today. With Fab and Matip out and now Lovren walking wounded, I think he has to get to 'match week' 19 with less than 5 yellows when the number increases to 10 for a 2 game ban to come effective.

EDIT, just found on the PL site he has 1 yellow recorded this season but not sure if that includes todays game.

34 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

It must be at least hree because he got another today. With Fab and Matip out and now Lovren walking wounded, I think he has to get to 'match week' 19 with less than 5 yellows when the number increases to 10 for a 2 game ban to come effective.

EDIT, just found on the PL site he has 1 yellow recorded this season but not sure if that includes todays game.

i actually cheered that yellow card today.

The nice version of us wouldnt have taken that this time last year, but the ruthless, cynical, winning mentality in us will drag a man down in the middle now, instead of letting the play develop.

I also thought he looked excellent when he went to centre half today. Reminded me of his pre injury form from last season. More of that and neither Matip nor Lovren wont get into that team ahead of him.

Dont forget we barely conceded a goal in the first half of last season, and that was with Gomez and Van Dijk at centre. Unfortunetly for Joe he couldnt regain that form after the injury against Burnley, i just hope he can now kick on and get back to where he was last year.  

• Upvote 1

Glad to see him back in.   Hopefully he cements his place now. 

Two proper front foot defenders with pace that don't shit themselves and retreat every game. 

We quite obviously need another centre back cause an injury crisis every season is a joke. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, mgw100 said:

We've not really had an injury crisis every season though. We have injuries, yes, and we have predictions of crisis, yes, but it's never actually happened.

Yea, that's just not true at all.   Matip, Lovren and Gomez have all missed huge chunks of football, often at the same time. 

Something that'll continue to happen with the first two. 

1 hour ago, dockers_strike said:

That's his first league booking

Screenshot_20191207_230523_com.android.chrome.jpg

4 minutes ago, mgw100 said:

He played once didn't he? Or maybe twice. And did really well. Is that a crisis or just using the squad, which is obviously Klopp's preference rather than stock piling players.

Yes playing midfielders there and having no fit centre backs on the bench is a crisis. 

It'll keep happening with three injury prone ones too, no point denying it really.   Only Gomez really has any hope of being reliable one day. 

On 07/12/2019 at 23:25, mgw100 said:

We seem to have a lot of perceived crises and very few occasions when it actually impacts us. I'd back Klopp to find a solution more often than not.

Maybe we've been lucky.

Yeah, well put. All down to Klopp and his assistants rather than luck for me.

We made very light work of Bayern and Barcelona with second string defences and attacks respectively.

Obviously you would rather not have injuries but in this case maybe it's not the worst thing to happen. Whoever plays beside Virgil knows the jersey is theirs as long as they perform but 6 months on the bench awaits if you don't.

Gomez on form would be my preferred choice, his potential beside VVD is endless.

9 minutes ago, No2 said:

Obviously you would rather not have injuries but in this case maybe it's not the worst thing to happen. Whoever plays beside Virgil knows the jersey is theirs as long as they perform but 6 months on the bench awaits if you don't.

Gomez on form would be my preferred choice, his potential beside VVD is endless.

Agree with this. Lovren has done well, but the upside of playing Gomez is immense. We can keep the higher line with better success, and he's better equipped to deal with the quicker attackers. His positioning at cb is much better than at rb, and I think he'll thrive with the extra responsibility as well.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, No2 said:

Matip is my preferred option but a body made entirely of tissue paper will always prevent this.

• 2 weeks later...

Is stat a fact?

Van Dijk-Lovren - 17 goals conceded in 18 games

Van Dijk-Matip - 16 goals conceded in 24 games

Van Dijk-Gomez - 5 goals conceded in 13 games

Colonel Custer led 200 soldiers to surround 5,000 Indians.

Number make all the difference.