You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Man City (Charity Shield - Wembley) 4/8/19

Bjornebye

Better than I expected if I’m honest.

Difficult to treat it too seriously, but, shiny thing and we had a decent go at winning it.

If it’s the only thing they get this season, I’ll be happy.

Minor niggles :-

Our midfielders need more practise in shooting and taking penalties.

Divock Origi is the reincarnation of David Fairclough, not Steve Heighway (he’ll always have a special place though after last season), not just today but previously, he looks a bit lost on the wing and a bit, well, ineffective.

We are a Major niggle to Guardiola, losing his shit AGAIN today, hope we can keep it up.

Next.

• Upvote 4

We were so so sluggish in the first half, it made us look tactically underprepared and technically inferior. Yet despite that, Salah could have had a couple of goals if he could at least hit the target. We got caught out trying to play the offside for the City free kick that led to their goal, and that's something we'll have to watch out for in the coming months, as it's the runners from deep that caused us the problem, not the one we were trying to catch out.

The second half was much better from us. We looked more dangerous and, but for scuffing loads of shots (Origi and mainly Salah), the ball bouncing not over the line at that end from Van Dijk's flick, and a bit of superb last-ditch defending from Walker on the goal-line very late on, we would have finished the contest in 90 minutes. Certainly we looked a lot sharper than City. Matip's equaliser had been coming for a while, and it was excellent play by Van Dijk to keep his composure when the ball fell to him.

Right on the final whistle, my elderly neighbour knocked on the door because her husband needed some travel documents photocopying. Not sure why as he's not going anywhere for a while having just had a hernia op and a catheter fitted. I assumed I'd miss a bit of extra time (they always have the TV on some Asian channels whenever I pop round) but be back in time for maybe a shoot-out. Imagine my surprise when I get back half an hour later to find that Gini was the unlucky one in the shoot-out. I've only seen the brief highlights on the BBC website that showed Gini's pen followed by Gabriel Jesus' clincher so I can't comment on the overall quality of our penalties. It sounds like they were much better than the ones we took against City at the stadium 3 years ago.

Does a pre-season defeat indicate anything for the season ahead? I don't know, but previous mediocre pre-season campaigns have led to mediocre regular season performances. Maybe it's because we end up going into the season with a lot of unanswered questions rather than a feeling (like last summer) where we appear to be on the cusp of something great.

We need that second-half sharpness from the start on Friday to get the actual season off to a winning start. We can't be doing with any players thinking their shit don't stink just because we won No6 last season. No complacency. No sluggishness. No lack of hunger or fight.

• Upvote 1

We were better than them. Sane got injured, hopefully for a long time and Robbo roughed up Bernardo Silva at every opportunity . Mo looked fresh as a daisy in the 90th minute,  if he gets those 12 chances against Norwich he will surpass Luis"s exploits against them.  

Happy with that, expected worse.

2 hours ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

Can't believe how many of you are so blase about the penalty shoot out.

I don't care it's it the Asian cup or Champions league final, I want to win.

I had to get stuff out the washing machine so only saw half of it. 

Anyway, Klopp out! 

Sterling, Jesus and Bernardo Silva, a trio of balance compromised, petulant twats, almost as balance compromised as Eden Hazard is.

They have a similar arrogance to united when they were good.

”We’re manchester city, we’ll do what we want”

Chelsea with money.

12 hours ago, Doctor Troy said:

The fume about Liverpool fans booing the national anthem is off the chart Master Yoda.

It's not like people don't know it happens. Every match I've ever been to where they've played the anthem everyone has either sung You'll Never Walk Alone over the top of it or booed it. 

Fuck them and their stupid pride in a country that raped half the world, enabled slavery and treat it's own people like dirt unless they were rich. 

• Upvote 1

As a sparring session, if you’re going to end your pre season trading with a decent test against one of the best teams we will face all season, I’ll take that. If Mo or Bobby had been back a little longer, if we’d had Mane then one of those many chances would have gone in. 

Fucking long day though, drove down with family and friends. You’d think a major venue like that would have better plans for people driving away afterwards. An hour and a half in the car park and nobody was getting out. 

Stewards at Wembley are a joke also. 

I was there yesterday and yes i booed the anthem - i make no apologies whatsoever for that fact.

I've done it before and i'll do it again.

Good piece by Tony Evans published in The Independent today about it:

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/liverpool-fc-news-national-anthem-wembley-why-did-they-boo-jacob-rees-mogg-a9039561.html

• Upvote 2

On 05/08/2019 at 12:50, an tha said:

I was there yesterday and yes i booed the anthem - i make no apologies whatsoever for that fact.

I've done it before and i'll do it again.

Good piece by Tony Evans published in The Independent today about it:

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/liverpool-fc-news-national-anthem-wembley-why-did-they-boo-jacob-rees-mogg-a9039561.html

Spot on from Evans.

On 05/08/2019 at 08:20, coachpotato said:

Sterling, Jesus and Bernardo Silva, a trio of balance compromised, petulant twats, almost as balance compromised as Eden Hazard is.

They have a similar arrogance to united when they were good.

”We’re manchester city, we’ll do what we want”

Chelsea with money.

Bernardo Silva is a rat.