You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Swimming

Oh Buoy

1 minute ago, lifetime fan said:

Not anymore but I probably should.

When I had my own pool I used to swim half a mile a day if I was working and a mile a day when off. 

Was brilliant for my mental health and I lost a shit load of weight. 

Should get back into it fella. How did you clock the distance? Fitness watch or work out the lengths?

Tried to freestyle today and haven't been in a pool for years only to balls up the technique and almost drown every 4th stroke. Going to head back tomorrow and practice. 

Find swimming more therapeutic than running/cycling not quite sure why. 

8 minutes ago, Six Buoys said:

Should get back into it fella. How did you clock the distance? Fitness watch or work out the lengths?

Tried to freestyle today and haven't been in a pool for years only to balls up the technique and almost drown every 4th stroke. Going to head back tomorrow and practice. 

Find swimming more therapeutic than running/cycling not quite sure why. 

Just worked it out from the length of pool X’s number of lengths. 

I cant swim properly, I swim like a granny doing breaststroke who doesn’t want to get her hair wet! 

My knees are fucked so running is no longer an option for me, but find swimming very therapeutic and helps massively with sleeping. 

I used to swim in the solent a few times a month in the late summers when I lived in Southsea. Too cold between November and May but June-October it was lovely. Great hangover cure as well on a Sunday morning. 

Also used to use Abshot Country Club where they had a pool but lengths of the pool became a length in my trousers. I would just end up treading water chatting up all the fit posh wives that only turned up to get chatted up. 

Guest Pistonbroke

I used to swim a lot in my younger days, find it utterly boring now and unless you join a club that have the pool to themselves you can't realistically do any real training as it's packed with kids fucking about and getting in the way. 

52 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

I used to swim a lot in my younger days, find it utterly boring now and unless you join a club that have the pool to themselves you can't realistically do any real training as it's packed with kids fucking about and getting in the way. 

Having your own pool is pretty fucking sound. 

Guest Pistonbroke
47 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

Having your own pool is pretty fucking sound. 

That would be a dream, as long as you could also afford to hire someone for the maintenance/cleaning.  

Love swimming me. 

I’ve just got back from doing 100 lengths (I’m off today) and try and swim a couple of times a week. I did the 2 mile swim in Windermere a good few years back and it was boss. I’m going to up my distance and regularity in the pool over the next year or so. I’ve got vague notions of swimming the channel and have had a brief look into it but it costs a fair whack. I’m gonna try and just up my distance gradually and see where I’m at in a couple of years both physically and financially but I’d love to have a crack at it. 

Like a few have said I think the monotony of it is good for my brain.

I started a few months ago as I was/am quite unfit. It helped and managed to get up to 40 lengths quite quickly but jeez it was dull.

I haven't been for a couple of weeks as we're busy getting shit together for our holiday so going to leave the membership in place and see how I get on with it when we get home. 

20 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

I try (and fail) to go once a week at lunchtime. Usually do 1km (40 lengths). Just find it a bit too boring to do any more.

A mate of mine is training up to do a 10km swim in a fresh water lake in the Kimberley that has 25,000 crocs in it.

I want to do a shocked face but the negging spree will be worse than the crocodile attack.

1 hour ago, Elite said:

I swim breast stroke at the pace of a 70yr old with one arm.

I've tried front crawl but can't get the breathing right, so end up completely out of breathe and flapping like a child in the deep end.

I've never managed to master the front crawl. I can do it for about half a length then start swallowing half the pool

I think the thing that's annoying me at the moment are pool lanes. I can never seem to find one with a moderate pace. If you somehow manage to get one to yourself, you'll get Michael Phelps and his mate asking if you don't mind them joining your lane only to overtake you every fucking lap like a pair of snide cunts. Even in the main pool you'll get Tom the fucking quim who can't swim straight and ends up coming at you in zig-zags on his back with his arms twatting every direction they can move in.

Still loving it although an arms work out + 60 lengths and then the sauna really did me in. Couldn't even shower as my arms seemed to stop functioning. Just stood there looking at my body wash hoping that it'd wash me. 

Also, what's with naked arl fellas in the sauna?